Game Thread: LADY VOLS VS. VANDERBILT

Manna from Heaven. Players bowing up against the Here We Go Again yips is what the previous staff had just lost all hope of. Now we've done that a few times this year. Next step is getting passed the uncertainty that triggers the yips. That may take until next year and few new players.
Yep
Pun intended

Manna from Heaven. Players bowing up against the Here We Go Again yips is what the previous staff had just lost all hope of. Now we've done that a few times this year. Next step is getting passed the uncertainty that triggers the yips. That may take until next year and few new players.

Yes! This is another example of proof that there has been much improvement of performance by players and staff since last season. Like Jumper said, for a bit there the crowd did become scared and got quieter than it had been. But then THIS staff and team didn’t let themselves give in to what would have been far easier — to just fall back into old bad mental habits.

Nope! They bowed up and got the win instead. Love this team!

Yes! This is another example of proof that there has been much improvement of performance by players and staff since last season. Like Jumper said, for a bit there the crowd did become scared and got quieter than it had been. But then THIS staff and team didn’t let themselves give in to what would have been far easier — to just fall back into old bad mental habits.

Nope! They bowed up and got the win instead. Love this team!
I almost always try to get to the top of the staircase when I know the game is in hand. Whether it be a win or a loss. On that game I went to the top of the stairs was about 45 seconds left and stayed there there was a chair available two rows from the top and I sat in it about 20 people were at the top of the stairs when the final buzzer went off I got up out of my seat and join the 20 people as they exited... they were the only 20 people to be seen once I got to the top,, no one left the building. No one left early. That's a compliment to the fans!

Last edited:
Jumper, there was an elderly couple (man and woman) who came to the top of the stairs with a few minutes left. The man kept urging the woman to “get on up here!” “Come ON! Get up here so we can GO!”

Well, the woman would get up there, then turn right back around and go back where she could see the action. The man was getting more and more upset and insistent, but she absolutely REFUSED to leave!

I was in the top row because I’d brought my 87-year-old mother to the game and didn't want her to have to climb any stairs. Mom looked over at me and smiled and said, “He may as well just leave her alone. She’s not leaving until it’s over!”

Soon, Tennessee won and that lady just smiled at her grumbling husband and didn’t miss any of that nailbiter of a finish. My mother was pleased for her senior sister that she didn’t listen to her old fuddy-duddy of a husband!

Jumper, there was an elderly couple (man and woman) who came to the top of the stairs with a few minutes left. The man kept urging the woman to “get on up here!” “Come ON! Get up here so we can GO!”

Well, the woman would get up there, then turn right back around and go back where she could see the action. The man was getting more and more upset and insistent, but she absolutely REFUSED to leave!

I was in the top row because I’d brought my 87-year-old mother to the game and didn't want her to have to climb any stairs. Mom looked over at me and smiled and said, “He may as well just leave her alone. She’s not leaving until it’s over!”

Soon, Tennessee won and that lady just smiled at her grumbling husband and didn’t miss any of that nailbiter of a finish. My mother was pleased for her senior sister that she didn’t listen to her old fuddy-duddy of a husband!

Absolutely classic...love the story!

Reactions: sport3500
Don't want this to get political but there are already tons of young women of all races giving visable representation on broadcasts. Not like there aren't any. We'll have to agree to disagree . Hard and fast rule for me, no one is ever deemed inappropriate or incompetent on the basis of race or age.
I don’t want to get political either but I wonder about the use of the words appropriate and inappropriate. To me there is a big difference between “appropriate” and “market savvy” for instance. One is a critcism based,in this case, on age/race the other involves choices made to increase exposure and hopefully growth of the game. Not being critical of anyone here just think word choice is tricky here.

The Lady Vols need to certainly do a much better job on taking care of the basketball if they expect to make a deep tournament run.

Reactions: lvocd
Yep. And making their close-range shots. We are often brilliant at getting those scoring opportunities, but then have trouble making what SHOULD be the easiest points. Like someone else pointed out, we’d be making a lot higher percentage of those shots around the basket if the players would use the backboard. Those squares aren’t painted on the backboard above the net for nothing. They’re there to make it easy for shooters to know where to put the ball, but it sure seems like today’s players don’t know that!

Using the backboard to shoot at close-range is something that two players could do on their own over and over and over until it becomes second nature.

Reactions: Chippo
Yep. And making their close-range shots. We are often brilliant at getting those scoring opportunities, but then have trouble making what SHOULD be the easiest points. Like someone else pointed out, we’d be making a lot higher percentage of those shots around the basket if the players would use the backboard. Those squares aren’t painted on the backboard above the net for nothing. They’re there to make it easy for shooters to know where to put the ball, but it sure seems like today’s players don’t know that!

Using the backboard to shoot at close-range is something that two players could do on their own over and over and over until it becomes second nature.

Seems so simple, but it’s so effective. That’s why Oregon’s Hebard shoots 68% from the floor. Almost every shot she takes she kisses off the glass from 2 feet, keeps it simple and makes it easy on herself.

Last edited:
The biggest problem with KK's game is she has no backboard shot. Everything she puts up is a straight throw at the rim. Our biggest fault in the Vandy game was front rimming shots about 15 by my count. I'd much rather the shots be back rim than front a much better shot at an offensive rebound on a miss.

Reactions: lvocd
I don’t want to get political either but I wonder about the use of the words appropriate and inappropriate. To me there is a big difference between “appropriate” and “market savvy” for instance. One is a critcism based,in this case, on age/race the other involves choices made to increase exposure and hopefully growth of the game. Not being critical of anyone here just think word choice is tricky here.
Should so leave this alone, but . . . IMO "market savvy" is even worse. It's knowingly exploiting a really divisive concept "relate to you own 'kind'" for profit. The game can be exposed and grown without pandering to worst instincts.

Reactions: TN1111
Should so leave this alone, but . . . IMO "market savvy" is even worse. It's knowingly exploiting a really divisive concept "relate to you own 'kind'" for profit. The game can be exposed and grown without pandering to worst instincts.
Hmm, not sure it is pandering to worst instincts. Is it worst instincts that the old guy with the mustache (can’t think of his name!?) is used to sell reverse mortgages whose target market is seniors? I think I’ve said all I’m going to say here. So friend, you have the last word🙂

The loss of Mimi Collins hurt us here. For a freshman, she had a good instinct for rebounding and finishing around the basket.

Ohio State lost tonight that helps us and Purdue was losing that will help as well. Two teams slightly ahead of us need them to lose as much as possible.

VN Store

Back