2021 Lady Vol Recruiting Thread

if there playing time is cut next year or lose there starting position ?
The best UConn teams had the starters averaging 20 to 25 minutes a game. That's one reason UConn players are rarely leaders in individual stats.

Reactions: Rixxx
I agree with @Vo;ldopia. Fudd is on record as saying it might be more fun to play against Paige. At this stage, not even the commits are a lock - see Charlie Collier
One offhanded comment about playing against Beckers does not deserve a comment saying she is not a lock for UConn.

No one is ever a lock but the signs are seriously pointing to a UConn verbal sooner rather than later.

Here's a little context for a team that rarely, if ever, recruits any of the top twenty high school players:

NCAA Tournament Sweet Sixteen 2006, 2011, 2014, 2016

NCAA Tournament Second round 1990, 1992, 1996, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

NCAA Tournament Appearances 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

That's a pretty good record. The team is DePaul. I believe those very good results with less than stellar (ranked) student athletes is due in large measure to Doug Bruno's far better than average coaching.

To get to the final four, even a coach as good as Bruno needs better players.

One offhanded comment about playing against Beckers does not deserve a comment saying she is not a lock for UConn.

No one is ever a lock but the signs are seriously pointing to a UConn verbal sooner rather than later.
agree, it looks like UConn. But After Collier, I don't count'em until they sign, seal, and deliver and then they can pull an EDD

How many times has that happened for Tennessee? Or Kellie?
It would take a long time to go through each class and point out who were top players and who were not. Sabally of Oregon was number 36 she is definitely a top ten player. Cooper was number 12 in her class she is doing a little better this season, but not her first three. I don't think she was a top fifty maybe a top 100. Hayes was number seven ended up as Middle Tennessee not that great a player probably a top 75. You could definitely argue three star Willard at Missouri State is a top 50 player her last two seasons. She wasn't even on a list. There are many players that were ranked lower in the top fifty through the years that were much better and players in the top ten or 15 that didn't achieve that status. If I had the time I could go through each class year to year and point out many top 50 players that were at least top 15 to 20 and top 10 that should've been ranked a lot lower. Russell was never a number one player although she was ranked number one. I would say she was more like 25 to 30. I can't remember where Simmons was ranked she turned out to be a top 30 player wasn't ranked that high I don't believe. The list could be long of top 20 players that were below top 50 and top 50 players that excelled to the point of 20 of above.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Here's a little context for a team that rarely, if ever, recruits any of the top twenty high school players:

NCAA Tournament Sweet Sixteen 2006, 2011, 2014, 2016

NCAA Tournament Second round 1990, 1992, 1996, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

NCAA Tournament Appearances 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019

That's a pretty good record. The team is DePaul. I believe those very good results with less than stellar (ranked) student athletes is due in large measure to Doug Bruno's far better than average coaching.

To get to the final four, even a coach as good as Bruno needs better players.

I would agree. I would submit that this makes sense because the resources in women's basketball are thinly spread across an immature development pipeline. There are less good (experienced, professional) coaches, less elite players, and that results in less chances to break into the Final Four. I say that not to denigrate the sport, but because I think it doubly reinforces what I believe you're saying. There's less of everything to go around, and even the best coaches would struggle to break through to the Final Four without one of those elite players. Good coaches (such as Bruno), can make a lot of headway with good coaching alone because, well, one, they're good at their jobs, and two, there's not as much well prepared or frankly good competition once you get past the top 15-20 teams or so. Being prepared, organized. and motivated gets you a lot of wins solely on the basis of that alone. But once you hit that wall, where you're facing teams that _do_ have elite talent and (usually) good coaching, the disparity is almost too great. You can occasionally get outliers but they're just that - outliers. The sport certainly feels bigger thanks to ESPN, but the reality is that it lacks a widespread growth of talent (mainly because it's just not supported, so, less investment).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1reVOLver
It would take a long time to go through each class and point out who were top players and who were not. Sabally of Oregon was number 36 she is definitely a top ten player. Cooper was number 12 in her class she is doing a little better this season, but not her first three. I don't think she was a top fifty maybe a top 100. Hayes was number seven ended up as Middle Tennessee not that great a player probably a top 75. You could definitely argue three star Willard at Missouri State is a top 50 player her last two seasons. She wasn't even on a list. There are many players that were ranked lower in the top fifty through the years that were much better and players in the top ten or 15 that didn't achieve that status. If I had the time I could go through each class year to year and point out many top 50 players that were at least top 15 to 20 and top 10 that should've been ranked a lot lower. Russell was never a number one player although she was ranked number one. I would say she was more like 25 to 30. I can't remember where Simmons was ranked she turned out to be a top 30 player wasn't ranked that high I don't believe. The list could be long of top 20 players that were below top 50 and top 50 players that excelled to the point of 20 of above.

In other words, a top 50ish recruit turning into a top 10 player in college is pretty rare and it has never happened at Tennessee...

If you want to win the NCAA women's basketball tournament, you need, at least one (preferably more), top 5 ranked recruit.
Just look at the teams that have won the championship over the last 20 years: ND, Baylor, uconn,
TENNESSEE, etc.). Even Texas A&M had Kelsey Bone.

If you want to win the NCAA women's basketball tournament, you need, at least one (preferably more), top 5 ranked recruit.
Just look at the teams that have won the championship over the last 20 years: ND, Baylor, uconn,
TENNESSEE, etc.). Even Texas A&M had Kelsey Bone.

Kelsey Bone wasn’t eligible when they won the championship. She had transferred from SC and had to sit out

Thanks. I forgot that. Who was the star player for A&M in their championship year ?

They had good players but no “star” players. Their best player was a undersized junior college transfer who played in the post. She didn’t last long in the WNBA but she went to work in the tourney.

They had good players but no “star” players. Their best player was a undersized junior college transfer who played in the post. She didn’t last long in the WNBA but she went to work in the tourney.
Danielle Adams was a first team AA that year. She easily qualified as a star player.

The starting PG (Colson?) is still playing in the W. That was a strong pair, and they had a pretty good SF too if I remember.

In other words, a top 50ish recruit turning into a top 10 player in college is pretty rare and it has never happened at Tennessee...
It most definitely could've happen at Tennessee would have to check a lot of seasons to find out. I know we had a lot of top ten players that turned into top 50 players or worse could name a huge list.

The message to the recruits should be if you want to write your name in the history books for women’s basketball..come challenge yourself to turn Tennessee back into a final four contender!!

Nothing about the product Kellie has put on the court will help her with recruiting...

Reactions: Chitownvol1129

VN Store

Back