Chris Weinke still on Staff?

Just stumbled across an old article touting Weinke as one of the best QB gurus in the country. Surprised me a little.

1582039587075.png
Edit: having a tough time with the link. It's a bleacher report article from February 2013.

He actually is a decent recruiter with ties to IMG Academy and help land a few recruits to close. Having a Heisman Trophy winner on staff can't hurt. I say keep him.

He's not done much. I dont think he's recruited any img guys.

JG improved and Weinke should get credit for doing pretty good with what he can actually control. Weinke cannot coach JG to have innate instincts that he doesn't have. He cannot coach him to think faster than his natural limits. He can and did teach him to manage the run game better. He got him to throw to the middle of the field.

The best fabricator in the world can't make a great structure without reasonably good steel.

Reactions: amaralfan1
JG improved and Weinke should get credit for doing pretty good with what he can actually control. Weinke cannot coach JG to have innate instincts that he doesn't have. He cannot coach him to think faster than his natural limits. He can and did teach him to manage the run game better. He got him to throw to the middle of the field.

The best fabricator in the world can't make a great structure without reasonably good steel.
Fantastic point I hadn't really considered. Some of that could also be attributed to a better o-line. CW must bring something good to the program. Pruitt has shown a willingness to move on from assistants who can't pull their weight (cough cough... Terry Fair).

Reactions: sjt18
Chris Weinke's position on CJP's staff should be a no-brainer and IMHO his story is one of the best in sports..He was actually a very talented baseball player, playing 6 seasons in the Toronto farm system..After reaching Triple A, he decided to enroll at Florida State..After arriving he quickly distinguished himself as a starting quarterback, leading the team to victory for the 1999 National Championship. In 2000, at 28, he became the oldest person to receive the Heisman Trophy. He was drafted by the Carolina Panthers in the 2001 NFL Draft, where he served mostly as backup quarterback until being released in 2006. He then spent one season with the San Francisco 49ers before leaving the NFL after the 2007 season..

IMHO this dude has all the ingredients to be a great coach, solid recruiter and a huge difference maker for UT's offense going forward.......

JMHO

Maybe he should have concentrated on the other Q.B.’s on the roster. They at least showed potential, at least a little. Not a shot at Weinke or jg. Just frustrating to think how much better we could be on offense With good Q.B. play.

Maybe he should have concentrated on the other Q.B.’s on the roster. They at least showed potential, at least a little. Not a shot at Weinke or jg. Just frustrating to think how much better we could be on offense With good Q.B. play.
Agree. I think Pruitt looked at his situation last January and reasoned that his best bet was to pour resources into JG, build his confidence, and benefit from his experience. It was reasonable considering the other two were Fr and further from being ready than JG.

Pruitt's comments around the time he switched indicated that JG had surprised them by playing that much more poorly in games than he did in practice. I really don't have a problem with that. I don't think Weinke made the call.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Chris Weinke's position on CJP's staff should be a no-brainer and IMHO his story is one of the best in sports..He was actually a very talented baseball player, playing 6 seasons in the Toronto farm system..After reaching Triple A, he decided to enroll at Florida State..After arriving he quickly distinguished himself as a starting quarterback, leading the team to victory for the 1999 National Championship. In 2000, at 28, he became the oldest person to receive the Heisman Trophy. He was drafted by the Carolina Panthers in the 2001 NFL Draft, where he served mostly as backup quarterback until being released in 2006. He then spent one season with the San Francisco 49ers before leaving the NFL after the 2007 season..

IMHO this dude has all the ingredients to be a great coach, solid recruiter and a huge difference maker for UT's offense going forward.......

JMHO
Almost nothing in that bit of information is relevant to his current position as a college QB coach. Great wikipedia read, though.

I am baffled as to why you keep saying that he managed the run game better. What makes you say that? The run game was atrocious, and I don't think it was any better because JG was taking the snaps at QB.

Reactions: tnktm and vettefool
I am baffled as to why you keep saying that he managed the run game better. What makes you say that? The run game was atrocious, and I don't think it was any better because JG was taking the snaps at QB.
He may have actually got that information from Jeremy Pruitt. I doubt anyone can remember when he said that, but I'm pretty sure he did at some point during the season last year.

Drive thru the great metropolis of Orme sometime....we all sitting on the front porch.
We’d sit on the front porch and wave at outed pot customers headed to our neighbors at the end of the street bearing my family’s last name.

Reactions: Mccage
What more could Pruitt had done with the QBs? There is not a coach in the country that would have started Maurer or JT over JG to start out last season as he had earned the position thru experience and a better spring. After struggling to a 1-3 start Pruitt switched to BM, rightly so I thought, BM gets hurt an JG gets backup duties. From that point on BM got a couple more starts, didn't make it past halftime in either game and JG helped win 7 straight. Considering the injuries to both JG and BM I thought Pruitt handled them perfectly. He certainly has created a bunch of competition for the starting QB spot this spring and has turned our QB room into a strength I feel. Our fanbase is divided on who the starter will be, I trust Pruitt will make the right call.

We’d sit on the front porch and wave at outed pot customers headed to our neighbors at the end of the street bearing my family’s last name.
There's been a chicken leg or two passed around up in this ole cove dam near put all my kin out of buisness.

Reactions: butchna
He may have actually got that information from Jeremy Pruitt. I doubt anyone can remember when he said that, but I'm pretty sure he did at some point during the season last year.

You mean during the first 4 or 5 weeks of the season, when he was trying to tell everyone that JG was playing well at QB? You know, right before he benched him in favor of a true freshman due to his all-around abysmal play.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back