Sign Stealing Scandal

Is Manfred playing the card that there is no such thing as bad publicity?

Given the stupidity of his words and actions, it would seem plausible.

Lets look at the crime/punishment scale for a sec. Black Sox- 8 players banned for life for throwing WS games. Pete Rose- banned for life for betting on his OWN team. Astros- not only no bans but not even suspensions for cheating to win WS. The only thing i can figure is its ok to cheat as long as you don't make a profit from it. Enjoy that WS trophy Astros because no amount of Turtle Wax will be able to clean the stain from it.

Reactions: Vols4us
Lets look at the crime/punishment scale for a sec. Black Sox- 8 players banned for life for throwing WS games. Pete Rose- banned for life for betting on his OWN team. Astros- not only no bans but not even suspensions for cheating to win WS. The only thing i can figure is its ok to cheat as long as you don't make a profit from it. Enjoy that WS trophy Astros because no amount of Turtle Wax will be able to clean the stain from it.

Except these guys cheated and got big contracts based on inflated stats.

Reactions: 85SugarVol
Wow, Mr. I Dont Anything About China, has another opinion.

The idea that he's supposed to have an opinion on everything or can't have an opinion on anything is foolish. The business he is in and how it relates to the geopolitics of China/USA/Hong Kong is extremely complicated. This baseball cheating scandal is not.

As a lifelong MLB and Reds fan who played D-1 and grew up near Franklin, OH where many of the bets were placed I feel qualified to opine. Pete Rose is banned for life for having violated a big time rule that he knew about, but decided he was bigger than. So he got what he deserved. His addiction cost him his place in MLB. Should it apply to him being in the HOF? No way. He did not throw any games - one player or even a manager could not do that even if they tried. It takes multiple players and the manager (through commission or omission) to accomplish that. Rose played and managed to win every single game. He was just a scoundrel as a person. Guess what, so were many other players in the Hall. Is he worse than having OJ Simpson still in the NFL HOF? Great player, horrible person.

Fast forward to Manfred and this debacle. Blatant disregard for the rules and integrity of the game that cost other non-Astros players jobs as well as placed pitchers in physical danger. Obviously known about by the org including the GM and manager. Used the system to achieve the highest prize in the sport that brought hundreds of millions of dollars to their org increasing its value and increasing the monetary and publicity gains of the players and coaching staff at the expense of all the orgs that played against them. Instead of the ban hammer, Manfred plays the MLB/players' union excuse card. What a wuss and it sends exactly the wrong message to 90+% of the players' union who think he is stupid for not hammering them as well as 90+% of the public who now believe he is corrupt and beyond redemption. He doesn't want to go down in history as the guy who stood up for integrity and the game, he wants to go into history as the guy that gets played and is in over his head.

As a result, Pete Rose has every right to apply for reinstatement and it be granted. You built this, Manfred. It should not be this way.

The idea that he's supposed to have an opinion on everything or can't have an opinion on anything is foolish. The business he is in and how it relates to the geopolitics of China/USA/Hong Kong is extremely complicated. This baseball cheating scandal is not.
The geopolitics of China/Hong Kong aren’t complicated at all

The geopolitics of China/Hong Kong aren’t complicated at all

Yeah, but "The business he is in and how it relates to the..." is extremely complicated.

Should I speak out against China, get nothing accomplished (probably make things worse), and cost everybody I know professionally money? Or should I just keep my mouth shut?

Should I speak out against the sign-stealing scandal when it's not a controversial take and will harm nobody other than guilty parties?

One of these is complicated and the other is not.

Reactions: Plecoptera
Yeah, but "The business he is in and how it relates to the..." is extremely complicated.

Should I speak out against China, get nothing accomplished (probably make things worse), and cost everybody I know professionally money? Or should I just keep my mouth shut?

Should I speak out against the sign-stealing scandal when it's not a controversial take and will harm nobody other than guilty parties?

One of these is complicated and the other is not.
Fair but I think the attitude towards him comes from speaking out on all kinds of things he probably doesn’t have firsthand knowledge or experience of and shunning the Hong Kong topic entirely.

It’s easy for anyone to say Rob Mandred is an idiot.

Fair but I think the attitude towards him comes from speaking out on all kinds of things he probably doesn’t have firsthand knowledge or experience of and shunning the Hong Kong topic entirely.

It’s easy for anyone to say Rob Mandred is an idiot.

I think it's fair to criticize him for bad political takes and for what he said about Morey, but if we are complaining about all his bad political takes wtf is anybody trying to extract a China opinion out of him? That would make us hypocrites, too, right? Suddenly we want his bad opinions because why?

I think it's fair to criticize him for bad political takes and for what he said about Morey, but if we are complaining about all his bad political takes wtf is anybody trying to extract a China opinion out of him? That would make us hypocrites, too, right? Suddenly we want his bad opinions because why?
I don’t want his opinions at all but if he’s going to give them, he should at least opine on what he’s theoretically closest to/involved in

VN Store

Back