No passing offense was more aggressive than Tennessee

Which would have been a great strategy if we had more consistent QB play and more speed at WR, which we should have going forward. My one knock on our offensive strategy last year was the lack of a controlled passing game, we seriously needed to use the controlled passing game as a running game at times last season. An 8 yard curl, a five yard out, a 3 yard slant to the slot and a play action hot pass to the TE, all of these things were basically a lost art for us last season. TN did have pretty decent success with the deeper routes at times though. JMO

Would like to see that broken down by game. I'd bet our UGA, UF, Bama, BYU games were alot more "aggressive", when we're behind two touchdowns, and trying to score quick. We barely threw it at all against MSt, rightfully so, and threw alot of deep balls vs USC, because we had an advantage.

I remember when Cheney was here before, and Iā€™d get furious when he would have Bray sling a 30 yard corner route for an incompletion on 3rd and 2.

Looks like they based it on the route, but it's hard to know for sure.
Looks like they based it on when we threw to somebody running an ā€œexplosive routeā€, which they deem to be a go, post, corner, fade, deep cross, or seam, based on the fact those routes average 20+ yards a reception. So the reception or even the target doesnā€™t need to be 20+ yards downfield, itā€™s just the percentage of our targets that were directed at anyone running one of those routes. Interesting methodology but informative still

I remember when Cheney was here before, and Iā€™d get furious when he would have Bray sling a 30 yard corner route for an incompletion on 3rd and 2.

Yes that drove me nuts.

But could you imagine that offense with our current defense?

You flip Bray for JG and just add Hunter and CP and man oh man with that Oline.

And none of those programs made the playoffs. To me, that says great teams have athletes that take routine throws and turn them into explosive plays vs teams like us who have to scheme explosive plays to make up the difference. The same can be said of the rest of the teams on that list

Very few of JGs deeper balls led his receiver, from my perspective. Most required the receiver to pull up, and then win a jump ball 50-50 battle. Did this happen with every deep ball? No. But it happened often enough that I recall being pleasantly surprised when Mauer hit Callaway in the UGA game with his first pass. It was a TD? Sure. But what I loved almost more than that was that IT HIT HIM IN FREAKIN' STRIDE. There was no pull up, reposition, stand like you're waiting on a fair catch, then jump and fight for the ball as was the case with many, many JG passes.

You can throw analytics around all day long. But at the end of the day, JG is simply not a top tier QB that is going to get us to 10 wins. he has a ceiling of 8 wins, I believe, and about 24-27 points a game. That's who he is.

As I have said ad naseum, JG seems like a good kid, and I am proud he represents Tennessee well from a heart and character standpoint. But, in the end, he just doesn't have the innate ability needed for an SEC QB. I don't care how many stats get tossed around.

Yeah, you want to be up there with the aggressive passing juggernaut teams like Kentucky and GT

We'll, it is a statistic @ most aggressive deep passes as a %. I don't know that it matters who is near you. You just want to have made plays on the aggression.

VN Store

Back