Staff Turnover

i don't think money was the issue, either way. we were willing to shell out when this staff got put together, we shelled out for Ansley and chaney.

i would say, that if there was a guy, or guys, that pruitt wanted, but would have come with big time price tags, we'd of probably shelled out again.
Agree. Money is pretty much no object right now. As it should be.

IMO.

Agree. Money is pretty much no object right now. As it should be.

IMO.
yeah, when every school i geting checks north of $40m/year just from TV revenue....money isn't a problem. it's why there's more parity now and why everyone can pay a boat load more for coaches and staff and facilities.

unless you're vandy.

Reactions: Behr
and we are paying nearly $600k/year for a RB coach. so, just sayin'.

yeah, when every school i geting checks north of $40m/year just from TV revenue....money isn't a problem. it's why there's more parity now and why everyone can pay a boat load more for coaches and staff and facilities.

unless you're vandy.
Yea that too, but I guess I was just thinking that whether we had plenty money or not Fulmer is willing to spend whatever is needed to get this thing back on track. I mean when it comes down to these types of hires, what's another hunnert grand or 3?

Reactions: jakez4ut
Yea that too, but I guess I was just thinking that whether we had plenty money or not Fulmer is willing to spend whatever is needed to get this thing back on track. I mean when it comes down to these types of hires, what's another hunnert grand or 3?
oh, i agree. it's a priority and they'd find a way. but we all know in the past, money factored in to NOT hiring folks in the past...and not so distant btw.

match the now more than available resources with the "want to"..................pruitt 'gon git wut he wawnts. :)

A lot of moves here recently. How are we feeling about it? Good, bad, meh? Forgive me if someone’s already started a thread like this. Combine them.
Feeling good about it. Adding Graham, Felton and Brumbaugh are all good moves imo. Rocker was great on field but was lacking in recruiting, same with Rumph imo. Sherrer won’t be missed at all, and getting a bright, hungry Osovet on the field as a position coach is good as well. All positive moves imo.

Feeling good about it. Adding Graham, Felton and Brumbaugh are all good moves imo. Rocker was great on field but was lacking in recruiting, same with Rumph imo. Sherrer won’t be missed at all, and getting a bright, hungry Osovet on the field as a position coach is good as well. All positive moves imo.
Now that you mention it I don't recall many if any recruits mentioning a strong relationship with Rumph

coastal, ecu, mizzou, vandy, wofford are 5 they should win. UK and TN would be two they would need to win to get to 7.

the rest.....very tough....but like with UGA last year, could they steal a game? maybe.

but yeah, they've not had schedules the past two years that set up for success....lol.
Better them than us. We've finally caught a few breaks on west opponents. Seemed like during Dooley/Butch years, even when we had a lesser tier SECW team, they were at a "historic high"...MST, OM, ARK. I get the xover traditional games, but the disparity in matchups is laughable.

At some point, I definitely see a reconfiguration. I kinda like Bball. No divisions. Still include maybe 3 traditional games, and put the rest on rolling schedule, and then the true top two teams are playing every year for the title.

Better them than us. We've finally caught a few breaks on west opponents. Seemed like during Dooley/Butch years, even when we had a lesser tier SECW team, they were at a "historic high"...MST, OM, ARK. I get the xover traditional games, but the disparity in matchups is laughable.

At some point, I definitely see a reconfiguration. I kinda like Bball. No divisions. Still include maybe 3 traditional games, and put the rest on rolling schedule, and then the true top two teams are playing every year for the title.
agreed. what was it, 18, when we had FL, GA, Auburn, Bama, USCe in a row, w/one bye in there?

yeah, i'm fine with getting the schedule breaks when we can get them.

Forget about us for a second, everyone should see they're two different situations.

Do you really think if Muschamp's buyout wasn't so high he'd been fired after the 19 season? I ask because I keep seeing that thrown around and I'm not buying it.
18.5 million buyout for school like UofSC is huge. And honestly they cant run out and hire better. I think he gets this year to make a bowl or they move on.

Drew Hughes some kind of director of something. Never heard of him until he left
Big hire when it happened and I have no problem with the talent evaluation. Pruitt knows a lot of these guys but this was his first choice.

I think that, as long as Coach Pruitt has created the proper "culture", the players will trust him and welcome the new coach and wish the former coach well. I also think that CJP recruits guys that are on the same page for success. The sum of the whole greater than the sum of the parts sort of thing. (Tee has some double jointed kids! 3:08)

Last edited:
oh, i agree. it's a priority and they'd find a way. but we all know in the past, money factored in to NOT hiring folks in the past...and not so distant btw.

match the now more than available resources with the "want to"..................pruitt 'gon git wut he wawnts. :)

Oh yea, no doubt. Ive thought before it would be interesting to me to know exactly what Fulmers thoughts were back when he was looking for our next HC. I mean, if there had been "that guy" available that he really wanted, would he have spent the money to get him?

Oh yea, no doubt. Ive thought before it would be interesting to me to know exactly what Fulmers thoughts were back when he was looking for our next HC. I mean, if there had been "that guy" available that he really wanted, would he have spent the money to get him?
well, he hired Dave Clawson.

so..........well, i'm not sure what that means. lol. but i think i remember reading/hearing there were some issues with getting a new OC hired. to the tune of MH blocking some of the candidates, b/c of money.

i know i remember it being an issue when CBJ was trying to hire new staff for the offensive side of the ball. they gave him Shoop, but when it came time to find guys on the other side of the ball, the well apparently dried up......

one of the reasons so many of us really questioned the administration so much over that time span.....it just wasn't important.

suffice to say.............that isn't an issue today.
:)

18.5 million buyout for school like UofSC is huge.

And honestly they cant run out and hire better. I think he gets this year to make a bowl or they move on.

Yes, it's a large buyout for any school, not just SC. But as I said, IMO it wouldn't matter.

I don't really care, but I disagree about moving on.

well, he hired Dave Clawson.

so..........well, i'm not sure what that means. lol.
but i think i remember reading/hearing there were some issues with getting a new OC hired. to the tune of MH blocking some of the candidates, b/c of money.

i know i remember it being an issue when CBJ was trying to hire new staff for the offensive side of the ball. they gave him Shoop, but when it came time to find guys on the other side of the ball, the well apparently dried up......

one of the reasons so many of us really questioned the administration so much over that time span.....it just wasn't important.

suffice to say.............that isn't an issue today.
:)

Lol, I'm fine with sharing the fault with you in you not being sure what I mean. :)

All of that was what, 3 AD's ago, and I'm talking about him being the AD hiring a HC, not assistants.

None of this matters, I just think about it sometimes.

The day he was announced AD, the first order of bidness was find a Head Football coach. I wonder....hypothetically.... If his dream HC had been say Chip Kelly and Chip was available for 7.5 million, would he have hired him?

They all look planned and handled quickly. And they all make sense. DL coach teaches a 3/4 in the same frame that Pruitt does and adds recruiting. Jay Is a Tennessee guy, Oveset was already on staff and is a solid recruiter with innovative concepts to add to the O. Chip Long has ties to Neids, Felton was a former staffer for Pruitt at Tennessee.

None of them were head scratchers. All add something to the staff and program. None are strictly there to recruit or teach. I think it's a solid mix and will hopefully gel quickly.

I agree with your take. Like it or not, the reality is that members of a coaching staff are going to leave. It happens every day - everywhere. What I take away from this is that Pruitt had good replacements immediately. Not just a list of candidates, but good coaches ready to take the job. That doesn't happen by accident. It takes preparation and behind the scenes work, and it certainly appears to me that he understands that part of being a HC.

Lol, I'm fine with sharing the fault with you in you not being sure what I mean. :)

All of that was what, 3 AD's ago, and I'm talking about him being the AD hiring a HC, not assistants.

None of this matters, I just think about it sometimes.

The day he was announced AD, the first order of bidness was find a Head Football coach. I wonder....hypothetically.... If his dream HC had been say Chip Kelly and Chip was available for 7.5 million, would he have hired him?
gotcha....yeah, i misunderstood.

now that i do, i think it's a hard question to answer, knowing what the situation was at that time with the search, and where were from an administration standpoint (a lot still in limbo at that point), getting ready to put one coach and staff on buyout, having just gotten done with (or about to finish anyway, can't remember) Dooley's buy out......i'm not sure honestly.

i know this, he didn't go re visit any of the "big" names, at least not to the point where it got past any "re-guaging of interest" phase...could be mulitple reasons for that, including money.... but hell, if Currie was ready to pay Mullet over, what, $7M/year.....? i'd imagine if phil had a guy that he wanted that needed that kind of price tag.....my gut says it would have happened.

LSS...dunno?

Reactions: mickeyvol and Behr
gotcha....yeah, i misunderstood.

now that i do, i think it's a hard question to answer, knowing what the situation was at that time with the search, and where were from an administration standpoint (a lot still in limbo at that point), getting ready to put one coach and staff on buyout, having just gotten done with (or about to finish anyway, can't remember) Dooley's buy out......i'm not sure honestly.

i know this, he didn't go re visit any of the "big" names, at least not to the point where it got past any "re-guaging of interest" phase...could be mulitple reasons for that, including money.... but hell, if Currie was ready to pay Mullet over, what, $7M/year.....? i'd imagine if phil had a guy that he wanted that needed that kind of price tag.....my gut says it would have happened.

LSS...dunno?
Zackly.

It seems Fulmer saw something in Pruitt and decided that's who he wanted. Looks like he might've been right too.

Zackly.

It seems Fulmer saw something in Pruitt and decided that's who he wanted. Looks like he might've been right too.
definitely falls in the "so far, so good" category. lol.

definitely falls in the "so far, so good" category. lol.
Yea, that's why I think about it. I just like to wonder if Pruitt continues to improve and actually does end up being "The One" that put us back on top....did Fulmer just get lucky, or did he know what he was doing?

I'd have no choice but to believe he knew what he was doing.

Last edited:
Yea, that's why I think about it. I just like to wonder if Pruitt continues to improve and actually does end up being "The One" that put us back on top....did Fulmer just get lucky, or did he know what he was doing?

I tend to think Fuller knew what he was doing. Having said that, even hiring a proven coach can go south on you just because it’s a new environment. Ain’t no guarantees!

And the same goes for all staff coaches.

Due to how quickly replacement were announced, this had to be in the works for a while. It seems like Pruitt had some people in mind and wanted to upgrade recruiting. How they do on the field is a question mark to me, but it seems like Pruitt got the people he wanted and is comfortable with and there weren’t any prolonged searches

VN Store

Back