Chris Weinke still on Staff?

77' Vol

He actually is a decent recruiter with ties to IMG Academy and help land a few recruits to close. Having a Heisman Trophy winner on staff can't hurt. I say keep him.

he's still on staff. doesn't appear to be going anywhere. probably doesn't get enough credit for the recruiting he does, because his ties to IMG haven't really paid any real dividends.

that and he's the QB coach. and QB was an, err., problem last year.

my take on that is.....yeah, the QB situation was a mess, and he and chaney and pruitt 'managed' it to 6 straight wins, 7 of 8 with a bowl win.

i would call it a very 'under the radar' good coaching job on his, and others', part. they took lemons and made orange juice. lol.

he's still on staff. doesn't appear to be going anywhere. probably doesn't get enough credit for the recruiting he does, because his ties to IMG haven't really paid any real dividends.

that and he's the QB coach. and QB was an, err., problem last year.

my take on that is.....yeah, the QB situation was a mess, and he and chaney and pruitt 'managed' it to 6 straight wins, 7 of 8 with a bowl win.

i would call it a very 'under the radar' good coaching job on his, and others', part. they took lemons and made orange juice. lol.
Taking lemons and making orange juice is a miracle. I'd say they took lemons and made slightly sour lemonade. If they can get JG to play like he did against Auburn 2018 for an entire season......now THAT would be lemons to orange juice.

I haven't read anything about him signing a new contract.

Maybe he is "Pro Bono" this year?

Not sure CJP wants anymore coaching upheaval this year. I believe Rumph and Rocker were planned but not the others.

Reactions: RollerVol
Taking lemons and making orange juice is a miracle. I'd say they took lemons and made slightly sour lemonade. If they can get JG to play like he did against Auburn 2018 for an entire season......now THAT would be lemons to orange juice.
ok, i'm not gonna argue metaphors....lol.

we started 4 different qb's and didn't have any real major injuries.....

and won 8 games after starting 1-4.

weinkie isn't gonna win any awards for outstanding assistant coaching. but i think they did a really good job of managing that whole situation.....so whatever metaphor you want to use, feel free. lol.

I haven't read anything about him signing a new contract.

Maybe he is "Pro Bono" this year?

Not sure CJP wants anymore coaching upheaval this year. I believe Rumph and Rocker were planned but not the others.
sherrer was a bit of a surprise, but once he started interviewing, he probably knew the writing was on the wall....Rocker was gonna be doing something else regrdless and Rumph was also somewhat expected apparently.

started putting plans together, and when the time came, plans implemented.

i think the only one that wasn't really planned for was Drew Hughes....and i expect CJP will take his time in filling that position.

JG didn't play all that great against Auburn. He did what he needed to do. Throw it up in the air and allow our receivers (who were dominant) to high point the ball. That's all. JG gets too much blame when it's bad, and too much praise when it's good.

JG didn't play all that great against Auburn. He did what he needed to do. Throw it up in the air and allow our receivers (who were dominant) to high point the ball. That's all. JG gets too much blame when it's bad, and too much praise when it's good.
yup. stats were great. loved the win. liked all the big plays.

lotta 50/50 balls on 3rd and long.....

ok, i'm not gonna argue metaphors....lol.

we started 4 different qb's and didn't have any real major injuries.....

and won 8 games after starting 1-4.

weinkie isn't gonna win any awards for outstanding assistant coaching. but i think they did a really good job of managing that whole situation.....so whatever metaphor you want to use, feel free. lol.
Yes I do think they did a great job managing the situation as a whole. But thats a different issue than managing JG getting out of his own head. I saw another poster that talked about conditioned response as a reason for his issues and I agree with that a lot. I think with the system continuity that will help him immensely. That and a continuously improved O-line. All things considered I do think he gets too much blame. I believe he will continue to improve this season.

Yes I do think they did a great job managing the situation as a whole. But thats a different issue than managing JG getting out of his own head. I saw another poster that talked about conditioned response as a reason for his issues and I agree with that a lot. I think with the system continuity that will help him immensely. That and a continuously improved O-line. All things considered I do think he gets too much blame. I believe he will continue to improve this season.
don't have any issues with that. he'll have the opportunity for sure.

in 2018, i remember making the case that, while i didn't think JG was great, the OL , lack of run game and not great WR play were at least deserving as much blame for the poor qb play.....as the poor qb play.

in 2019, the run game improved, marginally...siap, the run game last season was good enough to keep doing it. which wasn an improvmeent. pass protection improved a lot imo. and i think JG got a lot better last year at the pre snap stuff.....he was good at getting in to and out of plays, called protections etc....

where he still struggles is getting the ball out on time...he's still pretty late with the delivery. and he simply doesn't see the field from an anticipation standpoint. he's throwing to the receiver instead of throwing to where the receiver is gonna be.

can that be fixed? does 2nd year with Chaney = the jump in performance we need to do what we want to do?

dunno. qb competition this spring should be a good one.

Reactions: VolsnRavens
Agree...Unlike bball, where a Grant Williams can singly mean W's, football is more inter connected. Rare to have success if QB is sub par, while OL and WR's are good, and conversely, if WR's can't get separation or win 50/50 balls, the QB gets alot of the blame. IF OL is dominant, it is the primary factor in making average QB/WR's look better because of a more balanced attack and more time to find open receivers. Not giving JG a pass on his Dr Jeckyl/Mr Hyde performances, but I have no problem giving him credit on 50/50 balls...WR's are expected to make those plays if the QB puts the ball in the right spot.

Nope. Get him outta here. I've seen a ton of VN posters say that he's not getting the job done. That's all the evidence I need to know he should be gone. There are so many here who understand the intricacies of the big time CFB assistant coaching world. Many even watch ESPN and read blogs. Can't imagine a more solid source of information.

i think the only one that wasn't really planned for was Drew Hughes....and i expect CJP will take his time in filling that position.
I read that Hughes was being moved to another position within the AD. Not sure if it was a "firing" or just a realignment. My guess is that Hughes leaving was by mutual agreement. CPF and CJP definitely wanted another person in that position. One thing about CJP, he now has no hesitation on replacing staff where needed.

One more thought. If CJP didn't want Weinke on staff, he would have already moved on. I'm sure both Chaney and CJP know whether the QB issues involved Weinke.

I read that Hughes was being moved to another position within the AD. Not sure if it was a "firing" or just a realignment. My guess is that Hughes leaving was by mutual agreement. CPF and CJP definitely wanted another person in that position. One thing about CJP, he now has no hesitation on replacing staff where needed.

One more thought. If CJP didn't want Weinke on staff, he would have already moved on. I'm sure both Chaney and CJP know whether the QB issues involved Weinke.
that's not how i understood it. according ausin price, hughes was CJP's guy....

I'm fine as frog hair. Hoping the next 7 months goes by fairly quickly because I can't remember being this anxious for season to get here. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Thanks for axin. You?
you're not. was actually talking about this, this morning wiht my 9 year old....lol.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP and Behr

VN Store

Back