'20 FL WR Malachi Wideman (Tennessee signee)

Wideman is the most athletic freak we’ve had since Justin Hunter. And Beckwith could be a game-changer and he’s only a 3 star. And with the transfers I would say we are, at least, equal to Ohio State in that we filled needs and ramped up the unit’s ability.
Justin Hunters hands were so suspect though.....

Reactions: TitanicVolz
Justin Hunter was probably faster. I just think back to his ability to be able to house a 5 yard slant pass.

Hunter was definitely fast. I just remember him streaking down the middle of the field wide open all the time and the ball just juggling off his fingers.... when he could of scored a touchdown.

Hunter was definitely fast. I just remember him streaking down the middle of the field wide open all the time and the ball just juggling off his fingers.... when he could of scored a touchdown.
I don't remember seeing that much pre-injury. I think his injury messed his head up permanently. Also every time I saw him he was wearing clothes.

Last edited:
Wideman is an absolute beast in both sports. Randy Moss-like on the gridiron and almost Michael Jordan-like on the basketball court. Well, not sure about his complete game on the bb court, but his ability to rise up and dunk are almost comparable. He just seems to hang and then dunks so hard.

I can not remember when I have been this excited about a WR signee for UT, probably Patterson. Wideman athleticism on bb court reminds me of Pons, a little. Both of my Vols' comparison had grown men physiques when they arrived at UT, tho. Still think Wideman will be a huge contributor on the football field next year, although I think a year in our S&C program will benefit him, greatly.

I really hope Wideman ends up playing both sports and thrives. He really appears to be a once in a generation kinda athlete. If he can play both sports well, the PR, he would bring to UT would be unprecedented. Other than a few guys like Julius Peppers, Tony Gonzalez, Ronald Curry and that kid from the 'cocks (can't remember his name, but he played both within the last 5 years), I can't remember many student-athletes trying to pull off playing both football and basketball. Most of those guys were role players in one sport and stars in the other, Wideman has the potential to be a star in both. Yeah, I know I'm probably dreaming, but at least we get to watch him try at our beloved University of Tennessee.

Wow, I rambled, probably ended up being a "tldr" post

Wideman is an absolute beast in both sports. Randy Moss-like on the gridiron and almost Michael Jordan-like on the basketball court. Well, not sure about his complete game on the bb court, but his ability to rise up and dunk are almost comparable. He just seems to hang and then dunks so hard.

I can not remember when I have been this excited about a WR signee for UT, probably Patterson. Wideman athleticism on bb court reminds me of Pons, a little. Both of my Vols' comparison had grown men physiques when they arrived at UT, tho. Still think Wideman will be a huge contributor on the football field next year, although I think a year in our S&C program will benefit him, greatly.

I really hope Wideman ends up playing both sports and thrives. He really appears to be a once in a generation kinda athlete. If he can play both sports well, the PR, he would bring to UT would be unprecedented. Other than a few guys like Julius Peppers, Tony Gonzalez, Ronald Curry and that kid from the 'cocks (can't remember his name, but he played both within the last 5 years), I can't remember many student-athletes trying to pull off playing both football and basketball. Most of those guys were role players in one sport and stars in the other, Wideman has the potential to be a star in both. Yeah, I know I'm probably dreaming, but at least we get to watch him try at our beloved University of Tennessee.

Will he be training with BOTH Fitz and Medenwald? Couldn’t hurt.

Keep dreaming, brother. Nothing wrong with that. We're all here for entertainment anyway, right? Dreams are fun.

With Nash and McCullough the only truly productive ones.

True. Although Staley was very promising as a true freshman and would have probably been a star if he hadn't been dismissed. I think 4 of those guys were ranked in the top 10 at their position by one service and the 5th was just outside the top 10. Incredible that they could sign that many highly rated WRs in one class. Staley and Nash were both ranked the #1 WR in America by different services., IIRC.

True. Although Staley was very promising as a true freshman and would have probably been a star if he hadn't been dismissed. I think 4 of those guys were ranked in the top 10 at their position by one service and the 5th was just outside the top 10. Incredible that they could sign that many highly rated WRs in one class. Staley and Nash were both ranked the #1 WR in America by different services., IIRC.
Staley was ranked higher than Peyton in many.

Reactions: NighthawkVol

VN Store

Back