Rivals: NSD Winners and Losers

So Pruitt appears to be developing the guys he inherited pretty well... and you complain that his recruiting ranking is too low. Then he lands some guys and raises his recruiting ranking and you declare it doesn't matter since the guy who did NOT develop the guys who Pruitt does appear to be developing... looked good on NSD?

The "success" of previous coaches makes me much less impressed with rankings than I used to be. Like you, I take it with a grain of salt. Unlike you... my position on this has not shifted to allow me to promote or criticize Pruitt.

I'll take the Clemson average of 11th that actually results in a NCG every time over the NSD "win". Progressively over the next two seasons we will see how good Pruitt is at evaluating recruits and developing them. I don't think those who are getting all "giddy" are justified... or you in your knee jerk negativism.
Good take. Clemson signed Watson & Trevor Lawrence over the span of those classes too. Signing elite classes is essential (no brainer) but you cannot miss on a QB. That has been our problem & hopefully HB turns it around for UT. When you look at the programs competing for the CFP every year, they all have excellent QB play.

I like the fact Tennessee now resembles an SEC squad. As much as I sometimes found power football " Pound the rock, strong defense, field position" a little boring, 60's-present it does consistently produce winning teams. I probably just quoted the 10 Commandments or as we Vols say the General's Maxims. Gimmick offensive and defensive schemes work best when you cover those fundamentals in your scheme. It appears for the 1st time in over a decade the roster NOW has the type of players to achieve this. I know it has to translate into wins to satisfy the masses, but I like our chances in not being curb stomped by certain teams. I am enjoying the ride for the 1st time in a while. Stability, kinda started when an (not the) Old ball coach came back.
yep. we pass the eye test more today than we have in a while.

i guess the sad part, if you want to call it that, is that despite all the well wishes i've put forth here, there is a reality that Bama, UGA, LSU and FL are still ahead of the curve, related to where we are.

we're catching up, and maybe are closer to 'even' with a couple of those now. so if nothing else we should be able to compete.

which brings me to my point.....despite all the good there is, all it's doing is leveling the playing field some. we're not in position to pass any of those teams at the top.

so the "winning championships" thing....while we may be a helluva lot closer to being capable of doing that...........it certainly isn't guranteed....cause it doesnt' appear UGA, Bama, LSU, auburn, Florida, aTm and even KY are going anywhere any time soon.

we're just finally getting to the point where we can legitimately throw our hat in that conversation......now....i think it's starting to get tot he point where you can go in to a game against Bama, UGA, UF and not just call it an "L". not saying you should expect to win every one of them......

but the expecting to lose....which most of us have done w/at least 2 of those three ever year for the past 3-4........that ish is over imo.

Last edited:
Aren't we "winners" almost every year on NSD? Hasn't translated, so your comment is irrelevant.

Disagree. You have to have talent in order to create a good team. You can't get to point B, unless you pass point A. The fact that our coaches haven't developed the talent in recent years does not negate that basic fact...and besides what are you doing in a recruiting forum if you don't think recruiting matters?

Disagree. You have to have talent in order to create a good team. You can't get to point B, unless you pass point A. The fact that our coaches haven't developed the talent in recent years does not negate that basic fact...and besides what are you doing in a recruiting forum if you don't think recruiting matters?

Karen, all I’m saying is...are we really “winners” and Florida/Bama are the “losers” (yes, they are losers) when they beat us year in and out? The article is dumb, that’s all.

If anything I should have rephrased what I said. Those articles just like pumping up the fan bases and it works, but it’s just like “great we won national signing day” (and I’ll agree we did) but we haven’t beaten our rivals. Everyone that’s commented on my post is right, we are closing the gap and I trust Pruitt and I’ve always supported who he recruits, I’ve been one of the sunshine pumpers for the last two classes.

*if none of this makes sense or I contradicted everything, I’m sorr...just really doinked now*

Reactions: i2amavol
Good take. Clemson signed Watson & Trevor Lawrence over the span of those classes too. Signing elite classes is essential (no brainer) but you cannot miss on a QB. That has been our problem & hopefully HB turns it around for UT. When you look at the programs competing for the CFP every year, they all have excellent QB play.
Clemson has recruited "stars" at most positions IMO.... then filled in behind them with "high 3*" type role players and subs.

I think you could also argue that Dabo has found some pretty outstanding underrated 3* guys. Using Rivals, Skalski, Isaiah Simmons, N Turner, and more defenders were 3*. I believe most of their OL recruits have been 3* up until this year. Hunter Renfrow was a 2*. Etienne was a 3*.

Having a coach that can recognize talent and potential is just better than having one that "wins" on NSD. Sometimes a coach does both... but sometimes the NSD respect follows a demonstration that they know what they're doing as a recruiter.

Karen, all I’m saying is...are we really “winners” and Florida/Bama are the “losers” (yes, they are losers) when they beat us year in and out? The article is dumb, that’s all.

If anything I should have rephrased what I said. Those articles just like pumping up the fan bases and it works, but it’s just like “great we won national signing day” (and I’ll agree we did) but we haven’t beaten our rivals. Everyone that’s commented on my post is right, we are closing the gap and I trust Pruitt and I’ve always supported who he recruits, I’ve been one of the sunshine pumpers for the last two classes.

*if none of this makes sense or I contradicted everything, I’m sorr...just really doinked now*
it's all relative should cover it. Bama didn't "lose" in recruiting. neither did FL.

they just didn't close with the couple guys they wanted like we did.

and relatively speaking for us, closing that way, and finishing in the top 10 in the nation.....and unfortunatley the SEC too....is a big W for us.

relatively speaking.

past that............i know what you're trying to say.

you're just doing an ish job of saying it!!!!
:)

Aren't we "winners" almost every year on NSD? Hasn't translated, so your comment is irrelevant.
Get on the REAL ride.....VFL....Different man running things...FULMER loves this university and I don’t think he’ll let it fail..!! I think Pruitt thinks along the same line of things. Now he’s just got to show it
on the field...It’s football time in Tennessee VFL

it's all relative should cover it. Bama didn't "lose" in recruiting. neither did FL.

they just didn't close with the couple guys they wanted like we did.

and relatively speaking for us, closing that way, and finishing in the top 10 in the nation.....and unfortunatley the SEC too....is a big W for us.

relatively speaking.

past that............i know what you're trying to say.

you're just doing an ish job of saying it!!!!
:)

You’re a homie

Reactions: Electric Orange

Understood. haha

Understood. haha
Just want to add that we’re beating Florida and Bama this year.

Our dline matches up well against Bama’s oline. Their WR’s worry me because they always have good ones, but Bryce Young is Freshman playing in Neyland against our veteran secondary.

And I just hate Florida, we beat them this year as well just because.

Just want to add that we’re beating Florida and Bama this year.

Our dline matches up well against Bama’s oline. Their WR’s worry me because they always have good ones, but Bryce Young is Freshman playing in Neyland against our veteran secondary.

And I just hate Florida, we beat them this year as well just because.
we have 4 huge games this year. 2 at home. 2 on the road.

i think we win 1 of each. don't know, honestly, not sure i care, which ones.....the ony thing i will say is if it's the right two, early enough in the schedule......you could be looking at a major, big time game in November in Athens.

wouldn't that be fun.

we have 4 huge games this year. 2 at home. 2 on the road.

i think we win 1 of each. don't know, honestly, not sure i care, which ones.....the ony thing i will say is if it's the right two, early enough in the schedule......you could be looking at a major, big time game in November in Athens.

wouldn't that be fun.
Florida matters. Just because I hate FL more than all the other teams I hate combined.

Reactions: volsagain

Losers on National Signing DAY, day. Yes, not landing Avantae Williams or flipping Jahmyr Gibbs on NSD made for a bad day, I agree with that, even though we got Princely U later.

Don’t mistake a bad National Signing Day for a bad class.

VN Store

Back