Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Well Done GameCocks!! I agree with Geno when he got a little upset with the questions of what did UConn do wrong. He said, "There is nothing wrong with us getting beat by a better team. Why don't you write about that."

You seem to have a pretty decent perspective, so I'm sure that you can appreciate our enjoyment of seeing Auriemma squirm and getting testy when somebody is gigging him for a change.

The best part is that he seems genuinely perturbed by the questions this year. He's made an art of goading and preening and then later laughing it off as "Philly humor" or "game promotion" (the excuse he gave Pat) or generating publicity to promote rivalries and increase ratings. He also has shamelessly reminded people of UCONN's championships, record-setting streaks, etc. during the occasionalnal loss. Even if that's sheer bragging or just pride in the program, it's also a very smart recruiting tool to top recruits.

But his thin-skinned responses to fair questions belies his smirky contentions in the past that his arrogant air was just an act. His testiness seems truly genuine. One would think that with his success and advancing age, he would just laugh off the questions. But his prickly demeanor just makes him look small...especially considering the brash persona he cultivated for decades. He seems puzzled why he doesn't get the love and respect shown for Pat, but he doesn't help his own case. Show a little maturity and dignity, man.

In short, Auriemma is reaping what he has sewn.

You seem to have a pretty decent perspective, so I'm sure that you can appreciate our enjoyment of seeing Auriemma squirm and getting testy when somebody is gigging him for a change.

The best part is that he seems genuinely perturbed by the questions this year. He's made an art of goading and preening and then later laughing it off as "Philly humor" or "game promotion" (the excuse he gave Pat) or generating publicity to promote rivalries and increase ratings. He also has shamelessly reminded people of UCONN's championships, record-setting streaks, etc. during the occasionalnal loss. Even if that's sheer bragging or just pride in the program, it's also a very smart recruiting tool to top recruits.

But his thin-skinned responses to fair questions belies his smirky contentions in the past that his arrogant air was just an act. His testiness seems truly genuine. One would think that with his success and advancing age, he would just laugh off the questions. But his prickly demeanor just makes him look small...especially considering the brash persona he cultivated for decades. He seems puzzled why he doesn't get the love and respect shown for Pat, but he doesn't help his own case. Show a little maturity and dignity, man.

I think he’s closer to retirement than many UCONN fans want to believe.

He will not retire anytime soon....He has likely the two best players coming in soon and another not far away...he is gonna try for another run. Much more parity/competition these days...don't see him running the table anymore.

He will not retire anytime soon....He has likely the two best players coming in soon and another not far away...he is gonna try for another run. Much more parity/competition these days...don't see him running the table anymore.
Geno doesn't look..or act healthy. He has had some heath issues as of late and once those start at his age it's hard to predict how much longer he will stay...I am guessing as long as possible...but maybe family time will pull him away.

Just my personal observation, but he aged significantly in the last several months. He seems very frustrated and it doesn’t seem to be about basketball (again, my perspective). I wouldn’t be at all shocked if he secured a great class in a year or two and then tried to pass the torch.

He doesn't look healthy at all. Last night, he did appear more animated than in the Oregon game when he appeared oddly disconnected.

One thing's for sure. If they had to wheel him in on a gurney, he'd show up long enough to surpass Pat's record as long as he has a pulse.

And he might give directions to bring him in even without a pulse. He's been known to fudge the integrity of the game just so a record could be broken.

He doesn't look healthy at all. Last night, he did appear more animated than in the Oregon game when he appeared oddly disconnected.

One thing's for sure. If they had to wheel him in on a gurney, he'd show up long enough to surpass Pat's record as long as he has a pulse.

And he might give directions to bring him in even without a pulse. He's been known to fudge the integrity of the game just so a record could be broken.

He wont retire until he gets the All-time winning record which he will get in the next 2 yrs unfortunately. He has a lot of cupcake wins to get him there quicker. Once he gets that i think hes done. He may stick around another yr after that but he will retire i think

I noticed him sitting on the bench last night ! He has my problem! His waist is bigger than his shirt .... 😁 Surely he can afford one that fits ? Those buttons will pop open and there you have the big belly ! My experience with this matter that a larger shirt is less embarrassing as the potential exposure! 1581437142003.png

Reactions: NeedOrange

Yes that's true. Reaping and sowing are facts and his responses to criticism shows he is losing patience with some comments. Being from Connecticut (but blessed by God to move to South Carolina), I can say that is pretty much a yankee thing. We all Most of us get snarky, use sarcastic put downs, and are derogatory to a fault. (I recently went over the top with a poster here) One of the things he said is he feels bad for his kids having to defend why they aren't blowing people out by 30 points a game. IF you think Geno is bad, you should have seen Jim Calhoun. You would think Geno's Philly routine was a stand up comic compared to Calhoun's South Boston 'I'm going to cut your heart out and eat it". You're seeing more testiness this year because he feels like he shouldn't have to defend a program that has only lost to the top 3 teams in the country. He's also been upset with the local fans for not showing up to support the team. It used to be that we played to packed houses every night. Now it takes Tenn or Oregon to fill the arena. He calls UConn fans spoiled.

Last edited:
Reactions: creekdipper
Omg since Geno went on record it must mean, you know, it’s really gonna happen.
yup. you guys are now playing for the chance to lose in the finals. but take heart, it will be good experience for you. remember the goal at all times; make uconn bad for basketball.

Hey Needorange. UConners are putting a lot of stock in Page. You have a good knowledge of the game do you think she will turn up ready to have made a meaningful contribution to Baylor, Oregon and USC?

Right this minute Dangerfield seems the only true gamer UConn has agains decent and better teams
Nope, not right away. But by sometime in January the team will be hers. Evina will probably start out running the point. My concern is how quick the freshman 4 gets into the mix.

I don't know if you noticed it, but whenever Crystal was knocked down, she got up very gingerly. And, there were times when she was moving very slowly and you could see her will herself into the fray. She's incredible playing with a bad back like she does. There is just no telling how good she could be with a good back. I hope you Tennesseans are as proud of her as we are.

Why do CT fans post on a Lady Vol board INSTEAD of a Connecticut board? What makes them prefer to be here instead of with other fans of the same program?

Do they find the Connecticut board to be so boring, so populated by such uninteresting dullards so utterly lacking in basketball knowledge that they have to come here in order to exchange intelligent ideas and opinions? Do they love orange and hate navy blue?

Have they been bullied and belittled over on the Boneyard? Are they now too insecure to post on the boneyard and feel better here because they know Tennessee fans are exponentially nicer people than CT fans are?

Are they subliminally suggesting to recruits that “everything Tennessee is better than anything Connecticut” by preferring to be here rather than with CT fans? Or are they here to give a constant, transparently subversive CT presence and ideological slant on a Tennessee board for the benefit of any recruits and their families who might cruise by here? :eek:

Inquiring minds need to know! o_O
Not really. I post frequently on the BY (where i have more than twice as many likes as posts). I just happen to like good basketball and the women's game is more like the game I played 25-60 years ago. (i.e., primarily below the rim) I am here to talk basketball with other people who like basketball and this is usually a good board to talk basketball. It is not my desire to engage immature personal attacks like this has morphed.

Don't think my being on this board is unique. I am also on Sic'em, CockyTalk, and Mcgraw's Bench. I do think this is the second best board. The posters on this board are less myopic and parochial than posters on other non boneyard boards. (I will make you an exception once you get a dictionary to understand what I just said)

Yup, your fear that I am going to sneak away your recruits is my sole purpose to be here. Geno pays me in game tickets to subvert KJH's recruiting schemes by being a worm in her most important recruiting technique, the Lady Vols forum. You should really be proud because of all the worldly wise posters on this forum you are the only one to figure out my motives.

Congratulations by the way. Your handle is one of the most appropriate that I have seen. You cleverly expose your psychotic behavior disguised as a rabid fan. Very clever of you.

I had decided to be nice to you after my last direct post, but your persistence has won me over. Though I feel you have indeed brought a knife to a gun fight, continue on at your own peril.

Reactions: 1reVOLver
Not really. I post frequently on the BY (where i have more than twice as many likes as posts). I just happen to like good basketball and the women's game is more like the game I played 25-60 years ago. (i.e., primarily below the rim) I am here to talk basketball with other people who like basketball and this is usually a good board to talk basketball. It is not my desire to engage immature personal attacks like this has morphed.

Don't think my being on this board is unique. I am also on Sic'em, CockyTalk, and Mcgraw's Bench. I do think this is the second best board. The posters on this board are less myopic and parochial than posters on other non boneyard boards. (I will make you an exception once you get a dictionary to understand what I just said)

Yup, your fear that I am going to sneak away your recruits is my sole purpose to be here. Geno pays me in game tickets to subvert KJH's recruiting schemes by being a worm in her most important recruiting technique, the Lady Vols forum. You should really be proud because of all the worldly wise posters on this forum you are the only one to figure out my motives.

Congratulations by the way. Your handle is one of the most appropriate that I have seen. You cleverly expose your psychotic behavior disguised as a rabid fan. Very clever of you.

I had decided to be nice to you after my last direct post, but your persistence has won me over. Though I feel you have indeed brought a knife to a gun fight, continue on at your own peril.

Post of the year! lol

I noticed him sitting on the bench last night ! He has my problem! His waist is bigger than his shirt .... 😁 Surely he can afford one that fits ? Those buttons will pop open and there you have the big belly ! My experience with this matter that a larger shirt is less embarrassing as the potential exposure! View attachment 260810
I was a bit shocked at how big he's gotten. That can't be good for his heart.

CockyTalk is dead unfortunately. The Meltdown after the football loss to UNC killed it off for good.

Nope, not right away. But by sometime in January the team will be hers. Evina will probably start out running the point. My concern is how quick the freshman 4 gets into the mix.

I don't know if you noticed it, but whenever Crystal was knocked down, she got up very gingerly. And, there were times when she was moving very slowly and you could see her will herself into the fray. She's incredible playing with a bad back like she does. There is just no telling how good she could be with a good back. I hope you Tennesseans are as proud of her as we are.

Crystal as PG for the Lady Vols would clearly be a big time game changer right NOW. UConn did a nice job developing her along. Her comments in the post game presser were more Coach like that player like

Reactions: 1reVOLver
Got caught up reading the last few days of this thread. Didn’t see this post from Saturday get a response.

USC Upsets #8 Tennessee, 64-60 - University of Tennessee Athletics

Year four for Dawn and her first NCAAT team (Sweet 16) at SC, two seasons BA (Before A’ja). The starting front court players heights maxed out at 6’0.

That article is from 2012 and mentions the SECN. Is the SECN already 8 years old? Wow, seems like yesterday.

VN Store

Back