Recruiting a worry

hey did you hear another coach left the staff? When it in happened in South Carolina everyone quoted it was a hot mess and a sinking ship, so what does that make this staff?

Wait let me guess, because it's happening here we're just cutting dead weight that didn't recruit? I point this out to illustrate my point on how people go Gaga over a middle-of-the-road class and say there's nothing to see when the exact same thing is happening in South Carolina and it's a hot mess.

Get it? when it happens elsewhere it's the Titanic sinking. When it happens here we're trimming the fat.

Wonderful....

Is that what the post I quoted was about? If so, its even worse than I thought.

I get what you're saying in this post, but that's not what you meant in the other one and even though I think I know what you meant, IMO it was a terrible analogy.

This stuff happens all the time but its rarely by the same people, so its a waste trying to argue it.

Only time will tell and yes I do believe the gap between the top three is a chasm as wide as the Grand canyon. when the top five teams have five star athletes and we maybe have one? Yes that's the definition of a talent Gap.

We have two 5 stars. Harrison Bailey and Cade Mays. Not too shabby for an 8-5 team. Point me to another 8-5 team that came anywhere close to the class we got?

Look at the records of the other teams ahead of us is there anyone with more than 2 losses. Auburn with 3 but who else? Did you expect Pruitt to land a top 5 or better class?

It's just difficult to understand why anyone wouldn't be a little happy with that and dissing it as if it was terrible.

Georgia, Clemson and Alabama are way ahead of the curve but we're not that far behind the other 4 SEC teams ahead of us.

And for what’s its worth we are still 7th in the sec behind anybody that’s worth a damn. I’m sure you’re not bothered as you seem ok with mediocrity
Yeah I’m completely happy.... it matters where they are re ranked in four years.... not right now..... Clemson had the #11 class in 2016 but re ranked they are the #1 class in the country.

Yeah I’m completely happy.... it matters where they are re ranked in four years.... not right now..... Clemson had the #11 class in 2016 but re ranked they are the #1 class in the country.
The "now" crowd doesn't grasp this. They bring up Jones class to compare without acknowledging how many didn't pan out.

I thought this thread was brought back up to poke fun at but people are really still complaining about this class, that is jam packed with speed, freak athletes, and crowned with a 5* qb. I am as much a star gazer as the next guy but if you can’t muster some optimism over this class, I just don’t know what to tell you.

We need to be talking 2021, 2020 was as good a thing as we could have asked for. Stumbling out of the gates hurt. Really, really good class. QB/RB/WR haul, Oline depth, dline depth (probably weakest part of class?), LB depth, and secondary players who might play this year.

This next class it is imperative to bring in a few instant play big name guys and more depth, especially both lines. We get a great opportunity to beat Oklahoma, and when we do, then, we need to beat one of Uf, Uga, or bama.

Do that, think of the class we will put together.

Dude whatever, the comment I was referring to was someone chastising or lording over another person about the recruiting class. I remember in the 90s when anything out of the top 5 was unheard of for Tennessee.
And you want to act like I have a stick up my butt because I pointed out something that is completely obvious to some fans. Coach Pruitt hasn't done a damn thing yet. he hasn't won a conference championship or a national championship. Hell for that matter, he hasn't even won the East.

Celebrating a middle-of-the-road recruiting class in the SEC is delusional. I hope it turns out to be a really great class. But people are on here with nuclear bomb gifs, and heralding this class. He's not the general, hell he isn't even Philip yet.
Wow that stick firmly in place

man, i'm glad this class finished inside the top 10....i'd hate to see this thread otherwise.

lol.
giphy.gif

Dude whatever, the comment I was referring to was someone chastising or lording over another person about the recruiting class. I remember in the 90s when anything out of the top 5 was unheard of for Tennessee.
And you want to act like I have a stick up my butt because I pointed out something that is completely obvious to some fans. Coach Pruitt hasn't done a damn thing yet. he hasn't won a conference championship or a national championship. Hell for that matter, he hasn't even won the East.

Celebrating a middle-of-the-road recruiting class in the SEC is delusional. I hope it turns out to be a really great class. But people are on here with nuclear bomb gifs, and heralding this class. He's not the general, hell he isn't even Philip yet.
Not the same f-ing world or game as "the 90s".
Grow up

But let me guess....

You're a "real fan"
You hold up 4 fingers at the end of the 3rd quarter
You "rub dirt" on injuries

Real man and real fan.
Impressive

I thought this thread was brought back up to poke fun at but people are really still complaining about this class, that is jam packed with speed, freak athletes, and crowned with a 5* qb. I am as much a star gazer as the next guy but if you can’t muster some optimism over this class, I just don’t know what to tell you.
this class is probably deeper than last year's class.

and agree. there's a lot to be excited about. the 19 and 20 cycles have laid a really good foundation and pruitt is building this team inside out. O line got deeper and better this cycle (cade mays not counted in the rankings, but make no mistake, our OL got better). the DL got better, but you're right, the 21 cycle will need to load up on DT/DE and OLB/Pass rusher.

we added real speed at WR (again, Velus Jones not counted in the ranking, but he provides depth at WR and experience/speed in the return game).

the QB...huge.

and we added some really good atheletes in this class that can probalby play multiple positions...TE, DE, LB, RB.....

i don't know how many that are posting in this thread follow recruiting all that closely, but if you really look at the type of player we're bringing in (and we didn't get everyone we wanted mind you, but got most) this is being built the right way imo.

the hand wringing going on this thread is stuff people are making up on their own because they're either ignorant about it, or are just to jaded/scared to care about acknowledging progress where it actually exists.

past that....still gotta go play. siap yesterday.....what we're doing right now isn't going to make us pass UGA, Bama, FL, LSU etc....but it is leveling the playing field.

for the last 3-4 years, i think most of us have just put "L's" next to UGA, FL and Bama on each schedule. and if not all 3 of those, most assuredly 2 of the 3.

if nothing else, i think that can now change....the expectation of losing those games, or games like that. doesn't mean you shoudl now expect to win all of them........but don't put that L up there just yet.........................who knows....maybe we win 1 or 2 and find ourselves in meaningful game in November with a chance at ATL in the next year or so....

i believe this thing is going in one direction. UP.

GBO.

Perspective ...

Anyone that’s not at least SOMEWHAT happy with the way the season ended and the top 10 class is forgetting where the program has BEEN for the past 10 years.

When the OP started this, we’re 3-5! And ranked outside the top 20 in recruiting as I recall ? I get where he was coming from.

But as of TODAY, we sit with one of the best active winning streaks and finish with a GOOD class ... better than 90% of other schools! And already been said MANY times, no real difference in the bottom half of the top 10 classes. AND a 5* QB coming in !!!

So YES! I’m excited by closing out the way the Vols did! THAT is a GOOD perspective to hold on to between now and September.

recruiting is weak, even with the bad start very disappointed. Wiffed on most our big names really, butch jones staff recruited better. Way better...no way we break top 15. I don’t even see us chasing the 5 star talent this year.
Yeah numbers aren’t everything but we are not recruiting well at all right now. We may be better next year but prob dip again. Pruitt needs results next year or may get worse. I hope to be proven wrong and they cobble together a respectable sec class. Just sucks to be 9 or 10th in sec

Guess you misspoke way too early and couldn't have been more wrong. That's why you wait and let things play out before making judgment.

Recruiting class shaped up just fine.

But I get the sensePruitt isn't going to settle for 10th. I think some hard conversations about how much effort should be put into the recruiting scene was a big reason for the staff overhaul. Jmo.

But I get the sensePruitt isn't going to settle for 10th. I think some hard conversations about how much effort should be put into the recruiting scene was a big reason for the staff overhaul. Jmo.
i think there's some truth to that. he definitely values recruiting.

i think the ability to not get any elite DE/OLB...edge rushers...and not getting the traction he probably thought we should get with either arik gilbert or darnell washington probably hurt.

either way, i don't think he necessarily was looking for both Sherrer and Rumph to leave, but they got NFL gigs so, it is what it is....good for them.

but Rocker was probably a goner no matter what, and recruiting ability, or maybe better said "want to", played a big part in that.

the additions he made....siap, but grahm, osovet, felton and brumbaugh all seem to be extremely hungry for success. and apparently that's what CJP wants.....guys that will grind with him. those are the two words i see/hear when these changes are discussed..."grinder and hungrier".....

we'll see how it works out.

Reactions: Behr and 82_VOL_83
Not the same f-ing world or game as "the 90s".
Grow up

But let me guess....

You're a "real fan"
You hold up 4 fingers at the end of the 3rd quarter
You "rub dirt" on injuries

Real man and real fan.
Impressive
Also the 90’s was a great recruiting decade for the Vols, but it wasn’t “unheard of” to be outside the top 5. We’d slip to 15ish every couple of years. Revisionist elite standards.

I get the sense that Pruitt could care less where folks rank his recruiting classes.

It's not a middle of the road recruiting class in the SEC. It's the 5th best recruiting class in the SEC and ranked #7 in the country on Rivals. If we keep getting classes like this or close to this then we will be running with the big dogs soon. Our last two classes average number 9.5 nationally on Rivals. If we can land in the top 10 again this year then we are going to soon be good enough to compete for the SEC so long as we get competent coaching and development. Remember that not all 3 stars are created equal. Jimmy Holiday runs a 4.38 in the 40. That's elite speed.

I get the sense that Pruitt could care less where folks rank his recruiting classes.
Tomato potato. You don't think he wishes we signed Jay Hardy? Darnell Washington? Hitting on a bunch of elite prospects and ranking high in 24/7 are the same thing.

I wish I could give this a second like!

It seems to to me the only ranking CJP cares about is his ranking of a recruit. Obviously alot are going to highly ranked by the services as well. He also recruits for current and future needs, not just someone to increase the class ranking.

VN Store

Back