Senator wants UT, "Tiger High" Memphis to compete annually

I have always said it would be nice for Tennessee to play ETSU,MTSU UTC etc for thier easy game to win. It would keep $ in state and maybe help those schools athletic dept stay afloat. As for Govt mandate, hell no.

To hell with this altruistic outlook.

They hate our guts. Let them rot.

Reactions: Dumbledorange
But risking that one loss ain't worth the grief we get down here if it happens. It still gets brought up 25 years later.

I live here outside of Memphis, and my best friend is a Tiger High guy. He never ceases squawking about ‘96.

They’d rather see us lose that see themselves win. Their inferiority complex runs that deep.

You’re from here....you know what I’m talkjng about.

This is not now or never has been a good idea for the Vols to play Memphis in anything. The recruiting argument just isn't true. Never has been. Its always going to be a no win situation for the Vols....always. I think this senator is considered a solid guy but why do politicians think they can infringe on every area of life....let alone college sports for Pete sake.

I live here outside of Memphis, and my best friend is a Tiger High guy. He never ceases squawking about ‘96. They’d rather see us lose that see themselves win. Their inferiority complex runs that deep.

I lived in Memphis until I could no longer live in Memphis. I attended Memphis State during the summer months. 85% of my graduating class at CBHS went to Memphis State including my best friends.

One week in Knoxville and I knew there was a much better world to experience that had nothing to do with Memphis (an overgrown, Tri-State cotton-town) regardless of the fact that I had a free ride to go to MSU. There all still there and I wouldn't trade my decision for any money, any rewards, any anything.

When I return, which is as infrequent as humanly possible (funerals), I still get that feeling of nausea that pervaded my time there.

I live here outside of Memphis, and my best friend is a Tiger High guy. He never ceases squawking about ‘96.

They’d rather see us lose that see themselves win. Their inferiority complex runs that deep.

No doubt about that.

. Top tier team in the AAC? Isn't that like being the tallest midget in the midget parade? Don't get me wrong, they're better than they used to be but they play in a entirely different universe than SEC teams. They barely beat a pathetic Ole Miss team 15 to 10 at home. If we are even close to normal, I'd be disappointed if we didn't win 9 of every 10 against Memphis.

AAC was better on average than the ACC this year...

I have always thought Tennessee should be playing Memphis and MTSU on a rotating yearly basis. A 2 for 1 or possibly home and home with Memphis and a 2 for 1 with MTSU. MTSU could sell the home game for big bucks with the game being played in Nashville on years we dont play Vandy there (sota how Wyoming sold the home game with Tennessee and had it played at Adelphia Coliseum in 2002.) I think this could be perfect in state "rivalry" game to start the season plus give central and west Tennessee Vol fans more chances to see the Vols play closer to their home instead of having to drive across state. Just my opinion.
We don't gain anything from this arrangement. We've got to set our sights higher than Memphis. I'm not a fan of the cup cake team scheduling

Sounds good to me. Lots more Tennesseans attending UofM than Vandy. And lots of UT fans in Mphs....ongoing home and home series would cultivate many more, IMO.

Reactions: utchs81
Everyone making fun of Memphis but didn't they go to a better bowl game than us last season? Hell in the last 5 years I'm pretty sure they have been better than us too. I'm for it let's play them yearly if anything it can be a known W like candy usually is for us.

A home game with no away game. Playing a game in Memphis is a financial loss for Tennessee vs. playing a major out of conference game on the road like Oklahoma.
I bet a different financial arrangement could be negotiated. But honestly we are making so much money from the SEC portion it’s not a huge deal. Hurts the city of Knoxville more than UT. I just think Univ. of TENNESSEE should mean the whole state. Obviously lots of people, especially those in middle and east TN, disagree with me.

I bet a different financial arrangement could be negotiated. But honestly we are making so much money from the SEC portion it’s not a huge deal. Hurts the city of Knoxville more than UT. I just think Univ. of TENNESSEE should mean the whole state. Obviously lots of people, especially those in middle and east TN, disagree with me.
There is no financial arrangement worth playing Memphis in anything. Never, no way, no how. It’s not worth the trouble or the noise their pathetic fan base makes about UT and we just do not need them. Let them stew in their mid major juice.

Reactions: AM64
I would like Memphis to replace Vandy in the SEC East. Vandy football is not doing anything to receive their share of the profits.
That's kind of hard to state unless we open up a winning streak of some sort.

There is no financial arrangement worth playing Memphis in anything. Never, no way, no how. It’s not worth the trouble or the noise their pathetic fan base makes about UT and we just do not need them. Let them stew in their mid major juice.
1581197321032.gif

VN Store

Back