1965 Freshman Football Team

I believe these boys won a national championship. Not AP, but a whole lot more prestigious award than some the bammers claim.

Yes. Coach Dickey is often overlooked for the outstanding job he did in the mid to late 60s. He inherited a total rebuild and turned them into championship contenders. Sometimes I am tempted to rank him as our 2nd best coach of all time behind Neyland. Fulmer had a longer tenure but I think Dickeys quick turnaround was more impressive.

Yes. Coach Dickey is often overlooked for the outstanding job he did in the mid to late 60s. He inherited a total rebuild and turned them into championship contenders. Sometimes I am tempted to rank him as our 2nd best coach of all time behind Neyland. Fulmer had a longer tenure but I think Dickeys quick turnaround was more impressive.
I don’t recall the exact year in the 1960s, but the Tennessee Freshmen were playing the Notre Dame Freshmen on a cold raining afternoon in Knoxville. That day, Neal Clabo was punting from near the South end zone and his punt bounced into the stands in the North end zone . It was the longest punt I have ever seen.

Last edited:
I don’t recall the exact year in the 1960s, but the Tennessee Freshmen were playing the Notre Dame Freshmen on a cold raining afternoon in Knoxville. That day, Neal Claiborne was punting from near the South end zone and his punt bounced into the stands in the North end zone . It was the longest punt I have ever seen.
Clabo.

Here are the details.

21 of the class earned letters playing for the Vols: Baker, Callaway, Dalton, DeLong, Ellis, Flowers, Holloway, LaCosta, Marino, McDonald, McMeans, Merritt, Pickens, Rosenfelder, Showalter, Stewart, Jimmy Thomas, Weatherford, Dick Williams, Yannosey adn Young.

As mentioned previously, Flowers, Rosenfelder and Weatherford were All Americans.

DeLong (Twice), Pickens, Rosenfelder (twice), Weatherford and Yannosey were All SEC.

Great info. Nice job

this was 1965 signing class

Baker, Bill
Ball, David
Bates, Danny
Blizzard, Jimmy
Brookshire, Dave
Callaway, Richard
Chambers, Bear
Dalton, Benny
Deahl, Rich
DeLong, Kenny
Dixon, Billy
Dominic, Wyatt
Dunnaway, Bill
Ellis, Dick
Faris, Eddie
Flowers, Richmond
Gorin, Jeff
Hall, Buddy
Hampel, Ted
Harrison, Ralph
Holcombe, Bob
Holloway, Jerry
Holly, Jim
Hubbach, George
Justus, Bill
Kemp, Brantley
Kidd, Rusty
Kunsa, Dick
LaCoste, Kelly
Mangle, Ronnie
Marino, Rick
McCord, Ken
McDonald, Jim
McMeans, Neal
Merritt, JB
Page, Jim
Patterson, Wayne
Pickens, Richard
Rosenfelder, Charles
Showalter, Nick
Simler, G
Smith, K
Stewart, Clifton
Tagg, Billy
Thomas, Donny
Thomas, Jimmy
Timms, Sammy
Weatherford, Jimmy
Williams, Dick
Williams, Ferrell
Yannosey, Frank
Young, Bill
I see the names of the defensive line that played so well for years to follow. Future Captain Dick Williams, who I went to high school with, Frank Yanossey, Nick Showalter, and Neal McMeans. I think Showalter started at linebacker, and wound up at defensive end, and I also remember Vic Dingus from Kingsport played at the other end from McMeans at some point. Williams and Yanossey were tackles, and McMeans was an end. That was a great football team by the time those guys were seniors .I believe Showalter was also from Kingsport. Williams was from Greeneville.

I see the names of the defensive line that played so well for years to follow. Future Captain Dick Williams, who I went to high school with, Frank Yanossey, Nick Showalter, and Neal McMeans. I think Showalter started at linebacker, and wound up at defensive end, and I also remember Vic Dingus from Kingsport played at the other end from McMeans at some point. Williams and Yanossey were tackles, and McMeans was an end. That was a great football team by the time those guys were seniors .I believe Showalter was also from Kingsport. Williams was from Greeneville.

I have met Dick on a few occasions at UT games. He has stopped by our tailgate a few times. Been several years ago now. He was friends with a friend of mine..

don't think Bill played past his freshman year, if he played then.. I think he might have been part of the freshman squad but not sure he did much..

It's a small world... my wife had reached out trying to get some freshman programs with my Dad. Then, I see this thread on VN. LWS, you are correct. Bill Dunaway is my Dad. He graduated from Fulton and was blessed to get a football scholarship from UT. He pulled his hamstring and saw little action with the football team but he did walk-on to the basketball team and played with his former Fulton teammate Billy Justus. After that, unfortunately, he ended up on academic probation and was quickly drafted into the Army and went to Vietnam. Fortunately, he was one of the lucky ones who made it back safe and sound. Over the years, I have collected a few things but was hoping to find some freshmen programs as well.

Also, Orange Sunset, that's so much for your help! It really means a lot to me.

It's a small world... my wife had reached out trying to get some freshman programs with my Dad. Then, I see this thread on VN. LWS, you are correct. Bill Dunaway is my Dad. He graduated from Fulton and was blessed to get a football scholarship from UT. He pulled his hamstring and saw little action with the football team but he did walk-on to the basketball team and played with his former Fulton teammate Billy Justus. After that, unfortunately, he ended up on academic probation and was quickly drafted into the Army and went to Vietnam. Fortunately, he was one of the lucky ones who made it back safe and sound. Over the years, I have collected a few things but was hoping to find some freshmen programs as well.

Also, Orange Sunset, that's so much for your help! It really means a lot to me.
You're welcome boss!! Still trying

Reactions: MillerTime80

I have met Dick on a few occasions at UT games. He has stopped by our tailgate a few times. Been several years ago now. He was friends with a friend of mine..
I talk to Dick way more than I want to lol. I do a lot of work with the company he runs.

McMeans was from Gate City, Va. Which is almost Kingsport.
Almost, but Weber City is sandwiched in between. I may be wrong on this, but I think Dick Williams and McMeans were roommates at Gibbs. I visited him once in his dormroom when I was a freshman.

My brother graduated with him, and I was 2 years behind them. Ask him about his punting abilities.
No way. I've heard the story of him hitting a 60 yard punt in the Orange and White game One too many times.

Brings back some memories. Remember going to a couple of these games. Admission was free if I recall. Coach Dickey was building a program.
My first game at Neyland was Vols-Kentucky in 1965, I believe. Aunt & uncle had season tickets & took me along. Great memories.

Reactions: MillerTime80
Fantastic!! Progress!! Whats the 69 sweater you have framed?

Dad got that his Freshman year. It should have been the year he graduated. When I had framed, I had them take out his named, which was stitched in the inside.

Attachments

• EFD04F2E-B2BC-4B26-A25E-4F0033D3A3CF.jpeg
    EFD04F2E-B2BC-4B26-A25E-4F0033D3A3CF.jpeg
    808.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 5B9DA352-D191-4D4E-9E63-586A32FBF57F.jpeg
    5B9DA352-D191-4D4E-9E63-586A32FBF57F.jpeg
    731.9 KB · Views: 18

VN Store

Back