Game Thread: #23/25 LADY VOLS VS. #8/8 MISSISSIPPI STATE

Believe Kellie losing this team and I say this because of the players body language and there was a incident with Harris on the bench.

Reactions: mcannon1
EXACTLY WHAT I THINK TOO!
I would like to see Rae start as well but would start her instead of Lou. Lou is a great kid but physically, especially with one leg, is not super effective. JH is a bit of an enigma but when she gets her second wind she is capable of taking over a game.

Last edited:
Reactions: tn4everlvfl
Yea and we were all amped and having the news that Rennia was out was a gut punch.

Little side story I am a track coach and my boys team is going to the conference meet in what’s predicted to be a tight score at the end.

Today found out one of my best runners has the flu no matter how much we tell them to wash their hands, eat right, sleep right it just jumps up when ya least expect it 😡

Now I’m just venting and upset
Sorry your kid is sick. Flu season seems particularly bad this year.

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
It is a tough ask to beat #8 without your main go-to player. This team does not have a lot of offensive weapons right now.

Rae stepped up in a big way; Jazz contributed to nice shots but it gets sketchy after that. Jordan scored 12 but was 3 of 10 from the floor, several of which were makeable shots at the rim.

In that key 6:00 scoring drought in the 2nd quarter, the LVs missed a lot of shots that SHOULD have been made. The blame can be shared across the board. Once they got down double digits, without Rennia, this team is not really built to make a big offensive run.

Our defense is decent but we can take some lessons from Miss St on pressuring.

The teams open week comes at a great time to regroup and get the train back on the rails.

Believe Kellie losing this team and I say this because of the players body language and there was a incident with Harris on the bench.

It's going to get worse if Coach K doesn't use her resources

9:43 21-21
1:37 38-25
timeout called at 1:32 Q2 after a 17-4 run erased a tied score

then in Q3
Down 6 with 3:59 left amd MS goes on a 11-1 run to end the Q
No timeout called
3:59 45-39
0:03 56-40

What kind of body language CAN they have.

And only 8,000 in the stands? Pathetic...

Dunno about that. Here in East Tennessee, had several main roads closed due to flooding.

Also had several local school systems closed for the entire week due to illness. In my 65 years, never seen that happen here.

We have two friends who drove 100 miles to the game, but they debated going. And a lot of people not sick aren't too keen on sitting in an arena around coughing strangers. Just sayin'.

Lady Vols 19 Turnovers

State wins by 17 points

Franklin needs to be pronounced our official oddsmaker.

Last game against SC, he was also nearly perfect. On the money on turnovers and only off by 2 on MOV.

That boy has his crystal ball working at peak efficiency.

There has been a lot of teeth gnashing over this game. Considering it was a week of losses to the best two teams in the league and two of the top 8 nationally, I wouldn't worry too much but the next few games are critical to see if the LVs can get back in the groove or continue to have the same problems that plagued them for several years.

I do think Harper was a good hire and it was time to replace Holly. Right now Harper has a largely inherited roster but is missing two important players and another expected contributor. Horston and Key are good and will continue to grow but they are a little too raw right now to be a steadying force for the team. Davis has been the rock (as expected) and her absence was definitely noticed.

So far 4 of the 6 losses are to top 8 teams, that's nothing to sneeze at but clearly isn't where the program wants to be. All of those teams have more talent than UT right now so it stands to reason the LVs are still on the outside looking in at the top layer. I posted after Harper was hired the focus of this year shouldn't be on a FF or NC but rather getting back to winning the games they should win (largely successful so far) and reminding the country the tradition isn't completely gone (work in progress but it is clear chemistry and attitudes are better which is the start).

There has been a lot of teeth gnashing over this game. Considering it was a week of losses to the best two teams in the league and two of the top 8 nationally, I wouldn't worry too much but the next few games are critical to see if the LVs can get back in the groove or continue to have the same problems that plagued them for several years.

I do think Harper was a good hire and it was time to replace Holly. Right now Harper has a largely inherited roster but is missing two important players and another expected contributor. Horston and Key are good and will continue to grow but they are a little too raw right now to be a steadying force for the team. Davis has been the rock (as expected) and her absence was definitely noticed.

So far 4 of the 6 losses are to top 8 teams, that's nothing to sneeze at but clearly isn't where the program wants to be. All of those teams have more talent than UT right now so it stands to reason the LVs are still on the outside looking in at the top layer. I posted after Harper was hired the focus of this year shouldn't be on a FF or NC but rather getting back to winning the games they should win (largely successful so far) and reminding the country the tradition isn't completely gone (work in progress but it is clear chemistry and attitudes are better which is the start).

Does Ms State really have more talent than we have?

Reactions: Amb3096
I don't expect much different results against the top teams until we get a lot quicker at the guard positions. Horston and Burrell 11 turnovers and then you can add four more to the guards total for 15 from the perimeter. A lot of them were steals we got smashed in that department. Horston does not need to be in a decision making role said that before, but we don't have any other options very limited at the guard position almost everyone of these players should be a 2-3 even Massengill. Just live with where we are this season might see some roster changes during the summer depending on who is available. We really need some quicker guards to compete against the top teams both offensively and defensively. A week off not going to change much when we go up against teams with quicker guards were going to struggle some to not turn it over just where we are right now.

I don't expect much different results against the top teams until we get a lot quicker at the guard positions. Horston and Burrell 11 turnovers and then you can add four more to the guards total for 15 from the perimeter. A lot of them were steals we got smashed in that department. Horston does not need to be in a decision making role said that before, but we don't have any other options very limited at the guard position almost everyone of these players should be a 2-3 even Massengill. Just live with where we are this season might see some roster changes during the summer depending on who is available. We really need some quicker guards to compete against the top teams both offensively and defensively. A week off not going to change much when we go up against teams with quicker guards were going to struggle some to not turn it over just where we are right now.

Horston had one turnover in Q1 and no more until after 17-4 run in Q2
Might have something to do with it
She had 3 more during the Q3 fight to regain the lost ground
You can't expect a Freshman to remain composed when no one else is.
Burrell had already had 3 by then

Reactions: stlvolsfan
Does Ms State really have more talent than we have?
They don't. Most of the team are middle of the pack recruits. 3 starters (Taylor, Carter, Bibby) barely played last year, with Bibby coming black from a blown knee. Morris is brand new to the team. Rickea is a stud, but she's a freshman. Ironically, their 2nd most experienced player behind Danberry and (on paper) 2nd highest rated player is sitting at the end of the bench.

MSST looks more talented because Vic has a history of getting more out of less.

They don't. Most of the team are middle of the pack recruits. 3 starters (Taylor, Carter, Bibby) barely played last year, with Bibby coming black from a blown knee. Morris is brand new to the team. Rickea is a stud, but she's a freshman. Ironically, their 2nd most experienced player behind Danberry and (on paper) 2nd highest rated player is sitting at the end of the bench.

MSST looks more talented because Vic has a history of getting more out of less.

The announcer said that MS had their 1st MCDAA this year

The announcer said that MS had their 1st MCDAA this year
Technically, their first AA recruit in Rickea. AEH is also an AA, but she transferred in.

Even with Davis out, Tennessee counters with 3 (Horston, KK and Jaz). Burrell and Key were top 50 recruits. MSST might have more 50-100 kids, and that's where Vic has done a good job of developing those kinds of players.

On paper, MSST is not an Uber talented team... definitely not in the league of a SC, UConn or Baylor. Anyone looking at their roster vs. Tennessee's would not give them a clear advantage.

Technically, their first AA recruit in Rickea. AEH is also an AA, but she transferred in.

Even with Davis out, Tennessee counters with 3 (Horston, KK and Jaz). Burrell and Key were top 50 recruits. MSST might have more 50-100 kids, and that's where Vic has done a good job of developing those kinds of players.

On paper, MSST is not an Uber talented team... definitely not in the league of a SC, UConn or Baylor. Anyone looking at their roster vs. Tennessee's would not give them a clear advantage.

agreed

I figured the LadyVols would lose to Mississippi State however a 22 win regular season looks very possible and very good to me right now.

I figured the LadyVols would lose to Mississippi State however a 22 win regular season looks very possible and very good to me right now.
I'm looking at 20-9 maybe with us winning
the last 3 games. If we win any of the next
3 it will be a blessing. Turnovers will tell the
story whether we finish well or not. JMO

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019

VN Store

Back