Where Do We Go From Here?

hopefully not to the bottom of the sec standings

Indeed!

And let us hope that the Earth does not open up and swallow the UT campus whole, condemning all its members, including the LVs, to a raging pool of fiery magma where all scream in endless agony as their bodies are incinerated by the incandescent heat of HELL for all eternity.

GO DUCKS!!!! :)

Reactions: KellywillwinNC
I wouldn’t say Boston is better than Key either. She is ahead of her offensively, but I actually Key is a better help defender and has better defensive mobility. They both have a long way to grow and watching that matchup for the next few years will be awesome.

I think you're underestimating Boston's mobility. She can put the ball on the floor and her first step is pretty quick for a post. During the MSST game...once Carter picked up her 2nd foul and the two back up posts came in, she was pulling them out to guard her midrange shot, then driving past them for easy buckets or a foul. She may not have the sheer length of Key, but she's big, strong, fast, can shoot out to 15 feet and plays with very high basketball IQ. SC getting her away from UConn really changed the fates of both teams.

I think you're underestimating Boston's mobility. She can put the ball on the floor and her first step is pretty quick for a post. During the MSST game...once Carter picked up her 2nd foul and the two back up posts came in, she was pulling them out to guard her midrange shot, then driving past them for easy buckets or a foul. She may not have the sheer length of Key, but she's big, strong, fast, can shoot out to 15 feet and plays with very high basketball IQ. SC getting her away from UConn really changed the fates of both teams.

I with you on Boston she can put the ball on the floor. In that Miss State game Carter had 5 blocks but was in foul trouble. Key length is a problem for and post player in the country you just can`t shoot over the top of her.

I wouldn’t say Boston is better than Key either.

Even for the most staunch homer, this is ridiculous. Boston is a game changer, the best freshman in the SEC. Key isn't even the best freshman on her team. I'm sure Key will improve, but right now the gulf between the two players isn't even close...

Even for the most staunch homer, this is ridiculous. Boston is a game changer, the best freshman in the SEC. Key isn't even the best freshman on her team. I'm sure Key will improve, but right now the gulf between the two players isn't even close...
I get where you're coming from re: Boston, she's undeniably fantastic. But Key is the best freshman on our team right now, imo. And I say that as someone who's not the type to see Horston as being a catastrophe the way some folks here do.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I'd go one further and say Boston is the best freshman in the country. She came in ready to play from Day 1.

I get where you're coming from re: Boston, she's undeniably fantastic. But Key is the best freshman on our team right now, imo. And I say that as someone who's not the type to see Horston as being a catastrophe the way some folks here do.

Horston has lost a lot her her early season luster lately, and no doubt when she is off her game she is REALLY bad. Still, when she is on her game she has proven she can carry the team at a level Key can't at this point...

I'd go one further and say Boston is the best freshman in the country. She came in ready to play from Day 1.

You could very well be right, I haven't been following freshmen outside the conference that closely...

I wouldn’t say Boston is better than Key either. She is ahead of her offensively, but I actually Key is a better help defender and has better defensive mobility. They both have a long way to grow and watching that matchup for the next few years will be awesome.

Right now Key can block and thats about all she brings to the table..if it wasn't for her blocking abilities, shed be warming the bench right next to Harris and KK

Number one and foremost KJH and her staff are trying to determine what they have and the best way to play each of them. Yes, we have improved, we are starting to be more aggressive. I really believe that eventually, this year, KJH will put a team on the floor that will be able to compete and do well in the NCAA’s. Instead of picking the team apart, we need to realize that this team was headed South under Holly, it will take time to get them headed in the right direction.

Right now Key can block and thats about all she brings to the table..if it wasn't for her blocking abilities, shed be warming the bench right next to Harris and KK
Then who will play center? How is KK warming the bench when she's 1st/2nd of the reserves to come in? And how will you feel when Baylor or SC are playing for the NC game 🤔?

Reactions: 1reVOLver
Then who will play center? How is KK warming the bench when she's 1st/2nd of the reserves to come in? And how will you feel when Baylor or SC are playing for the NC game 🤔?
It is over reacting suggesting that Key should be seated on the bench. She did not score a bunch of points against, however, she held her own against Boston. Harris and KK are not in her league. I do like KK’s aggression, however, she needs to continue to upstep her game. I really think she was hurt by lack of coaching by the previous coaching staff. The same for Harris. She was a blocking machine in high school, but was totally ignored by the previous staff.

Reactions: VolBall09
It is over reacting suggesting that Key should be seated on the bench. She did not score a bunch of points against, however, she held her own against Boston. Harris and KK are not in her league. I do like KK’s aggression, however, she needs to continue to upstep her game. I really think she was hurt by lack of coaching by the previous coaching staff. The same for Harris. She was a blocking machine in high school, but was totally ignored by the previous staff.
KK is underachieving. I keep thinking back to UCLA last year where she was unstoppable when she got the ball on the block. Where the hell did that player go?

Hi guys.....As expected, a very tough game against South Carolina....

We are all aware that the turnovers are sucking the life out of our team...There are a few players that are having major problems....Not likely fixable this season....They need time and serious coaching.

Horston is an "athlete first" playing basketball, not a basketball player that is a good athlete too.....Her basketball IQ is not fully developed yet, it will take a lot more time......The first game I saw her play, when she just charged into the stationary defender, I knew this was going to be a work in progress...This problem, among others, have gone on and on through many games....No end in sight for this season.

Davis is a basketball player first, that is also a good athlete too....In her freshmen year, she was an athlete first and a basketball player second...She has evolved, this is very good....

Zay Green is a basketball player first.....This will be a welcomed relief when she is back next season....Rae Burrell is another athlete first, and basketball second....Needs time to evolve....Massengill is a basketball player first.....Lou Brown is a basketball player first.....Tamari Key is an athlete first that is trying to evolve into a basketball player....

We have some major talent coming next season that are basketball players first, athletes second....What I mean by that is they know the basic fundamentals of basketball, and how and why to apply them to their game and make it successful....

Coach Kellie has her hands full with this squad, but they are evolving into a team of basketball players...Give em time guys.

Footnote....What we have seen with South Carolina and UConn, are teams filled with basketball players first, and athletes second.....

Watching from the left coast, it seems to me that focusing on the importance of this distinction is exactly right. Again, looking from the outside, it's my sense that in recruiting Holly focused far too much on athleticism vs. basketball know-how--in the terms here, terrific athletes who played basketball vs. basketball players who were reasonably good athletes. There can be a big payoff if the former become the latter, but it doesn't seem to happen all that often no matter how good the coaching. Different teams/coaches obviously have different philosophies regarding recruiting, but if Kellie is moving toward the basketball player first side, I think there will be major benefits.

I really believe that eventually, this year, KJH will put a team on the floor that will be able to compete and do well in the NCAA’s. Instead of picking the team apart, we need to realize that this team was headed South under Holly, it will take time to get them headed in the right direction.
I get the need for personnel experimentation. But "eventually" makes me nervous because time is growing short. Even if we're saving it for the NCAA, it would be nice to go ahead and put a solid, complete game or two under our belt with a stable lineup, starting tomorrow night. Maybe get a little position for the SEC tourney, just a month away.

Do we have to stop picking the team apart? Then what do we talk about? How about we pick the team apart and still realize its going to take time to get the bus out of the ditch?

The definition of insanity is continuing to do the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results. Turnovers are killing this team even against the teams the LVs should be blowing out of the water. Change up the lineup if for no other reason, to see who’s willing to work smarter and harder to reduce the amount of turnovers.

Actually Mccoy has been the better choice coming off the bench instead of KK. I still think Key is their best bet at center and that is because she can block shots and clog the lane. She brings nothing to the offense really..I mean the posts literally got three touches in the SC game lol..maybe they should bench all the posts and play small ball..

Reactions: Bret178
maybe they should bench all the posts and play small ball..
Yeah, because the turnover problem would be helped alot if Rae Burrell played more.

I do agree lately McCoy has seemed the best option for a 2nd post while Key should definitely be the first. KK maybe only if post banging is needed for a spell. She could be the designated hard fouler. Poor Harris, I'm afraid is getting too late in her career to continue to be a project. She either contributes now or realistically a younger player, even Sanders (remember her?) should be the project.

Don’t know where ya’ll are going but ole Gule is heading north. From Miami to Gainesville then Pensacola, Atlanta, Kingston(tn), Asheville, Tom’s River(nj) then back to Cutler Bay. ROAD TRIP! With the Wifey.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Not intended to put anyone in their place, just saw a comment that Key was better than Boston. I highlighted the quote. Based on comparisons, I had a hard time believing the statement was sincere. I could see if it was close:

Points Reb Ass FG% FT% TO ST Blocks

Krey 7.5 4.9 17 .561 .531 30 6 70

Boston 13.1 8.7 27 .621 .785 24 29 58

So I guess other than Boston scoring and rebounding at almost twice Key's numbers, shooting higher % on both FG and FT's, assisting at a much higher rate, collecting 5 times as many steals and turning the ball over less, Key does has 12 more blocks, so there is that argument to be made for her.
The reason Key was ranked 47th because she hasn't developed the physical strength to play at this level yet. She will be a different player next season and by her junior year if she is dedicated will be scary for anyone to handle. She has the length and physical size you want in a basketball player. She needs to get a lot stronger she will if she is dedicated and then we'll have a different story. At this time the big difference is Boston already had the strength that is why she was rated so high coming out of high school.

The reason Key was ranked 47th because she hasn't developed the physical strength to play at this level yet. She will be a different player next season and by her junior year if she is dedicated will be scary for anyone to handle. She has the length and physical size you want in a basketball player. She needs to get a lot stronger she will if she is dedicated and then we'll have a different story. At this time the big difference is Boston already had the strength that is why she was rated so high coming out of high school.

It really interests me when I read several posts that all use the same logic as to why Boston is so far ahead of Key currently. The logic goes like this: Boston is so much more physically strong right now, but Key will catch up. OK, maybe she adds pounds and hits the weight room a bunch, and gets way stronger. Good for her and her game. That still does not even address the fact that Boston has a much more highly polished offensive skill set, passes the ball much better (5 times the assists), turns the ball over less and generally has shown a much higher basketball IQ to date. Last note, for all those saying Key will improve and get stronger, better etc., do you think the freshman version of Boston is going to remain static? What are the chances Boston's growth outpaces Key's? From an eyeball perspective I would venture to say Boston has more upside, maybe even player of the year type upside. Key will never sniff that rarified atmosphere and most can see that already.

It really interests me when I read several posts that all use the same logic as to why Boston is so far ahead of Key currently. The logic goes like this: Boston is so much more physically strong right now, but Key will catch up. OK, maybe she adds pounds and hits the weight room a bunch, and gets way stronger. Good for her and her game. That still does not even address the fact that Boston has a much more highly polished offensive skill set, passes the ball much better (5 times the assists), turns the ball over less and generally has shown a much higher basketball IQ to date. Last note, for all those saying Key will improve and get stronger, better etc., do you think the freshman version of Boston is going to remain static? What are the chances Boston's growth outpaces Key's? From an eyeball perspective I would venture to say Boston has more upside, maybe even player of the year type upside. Key will never sniff that rarified atmosphere and most can see that already.
Totally wrong about the offensive skills and all the other your stating is total BS. We can't prove it to you now but you'll get to see it soon enough. I realize South Carolina needs something to be proud about since you suck at almost everything else in college sports and your entitled to your opinion, but if you think your gonna get many takers to your thinking better stay on the Chicken site not going to happen here. I've seen a lot better college post than Boston over the years. You make her out to be the greatest ever and nothing could be farther from the truth. Boston could go two ways get a lot fatter and more out of shape or stay about where she is now. She didn't do much in that game Sunday except get the ball batted back in her face a few times. Then went to the bench evidently with leg cramps or something. 10 points and 5 rebounds is not a superstar no matter how you try to push that theory.

VN Store

Back