Official Brexit Referendum Discussion

The day Scotland becomes independent and joins the EU I will eat crow. The EU can't afford another small country that needs more handouts from France and Germany than it contributes to the Union.
Scotland will definitely be allowed into the EU if they get independence. There will be some requirements they have to meet, but they would, and the EU would work with them.

The only question is whether Scottish independence will actually happen. Sturgeon has to capitalize on the anti-Boris sentiment and use the next few years to build up support, because it would basically be a tossup if the referendum was held today.

If I were Scotland I'd GTFO of the UK. If the absolute mess going on in London with both the government and the royals causes my Islay scotch to go up in price, I'm going to be pissed.

If I were Scotland I'd GTFO of the UK. If the absolute mess going on in London with both the government and the royals causes my Islay scotch to go up in price, I'm going to be pissed.
To be fair, there are some valid arguments against Scotland leaving. In the long run, I do think independence is likely.

My now in bulk, just in case. It ain't gonna go bad.

Reactions: AshG
I'm taking recommendations for a single malt scotch to buy myself as a graduation present this spring. Bring on the recommendations.
Depends on your taste. You like peaty, I gather.

Laphroaig, Lagavulin?

Independence is their only option, no way the EU would want them.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Spain and Belgium would oppose welcoming Scotland into the EU because they don't want to set a precedent for Catalonia and Flanders.

I don't think they're likely to receive consent.
They will eventually. Currently, it’s more a political tool than anything. I actually think a referendum would fail, so Sturgeon should use the opportunity to drum up support. That being said, if they really want to leave, they will eventually be given the chance.

None of the EU counties will want Scotland. Scotland would be another financial drain on the union.
Yeah. When combined with England they are probably still a net drain however geographically you can make a case they are stronger together. With the EU... meh. No compelling reason to join other than to stick it to the UK. And that is why it will happen if it does and is a really dipshit rationale for economic policy.

You didn't read the article just the headline.

Johnson’s success in securing the UK’s departure from the EU on Friday raises other significant challenges for Sturgeon over which currency an independent Scotland would use, its significant deficit and the difficulties of having a hard border with the rest of the UK, affecting 60% of Scotland’s trade.

Scotland would not be able to win back any of the concessions the UK had within the EU, such as less onerous VAT rules or exemption from the Schengen security treaty. Scotland would also be expected to rejoin the common fisheries policy – a system which boosted the pro-Brexit vote in Scottish fishing areas.

Scottish government data, which was released last week but not publicised, showed a £5bn cut in Scotland’s economic output from £180bn to £175bn, which is equivalent to a deficit of 7.2%. The deficit shows the gap between public spending and tax income. The EU requires its member states to have a deficit below 3%.

John McLaren, an economist, told the Sunday Times: “A £5bn – almost 3% – downwards revision in Scottish GDP has important implications for judging Scotland’s economic and fiscal standing, especially in terms of independence or full fiscal autonomy.”

Reactions: NorthDallas40

VN Store

Back