Game Thread: #22/22 LADY VOLS AT #1/2 SOUTH CAROLINA

I have watched MSU play 2-3 times this year for a full game, parts of others as well. Their freshman, Jackson, will be the best player on the court in the UT game. She was the best player on the court vs SC also imo. She is absolutely dynamic on offense because she can create her own shot from anywhere and it really is almost impossible to defend. She is deadly accurate and has the mentality of all the great ones that want the ball. She will be a nightmare for UT. I expect MSU to win by 12-15 points, perhaps more. Vic knows how to coach, he will have a great game plan for UT, so UT will need one as well obviously. I know many here will say Davis will be the best player on the court, perhaps. I will be glued to this game, think it will be a good one with MSU pulling away late.

I have watched MSU play 2-3 times this year for a full game, parts of others as well. Their freshman, Jackson, will be the best player on the court in the UT game. She was the best player on the court vs SC also imo. She is absolutely dynamic on offense because she can create her own shot from anywhere and it really is almost impossible to defend. She is deadly accurate and has the mentality of all the great ones that want the ball. She will be a nightmare for UT. I expect MSU to win by 12-15 points, perhaps more. Vic knows how to coach, he will have a great game plan for UT, so UT will need one as well obviously. I know many here will say Davis will be the best player on the court, perhaps. I will be glued to this game, think it will be a good one with MSU pulling away late.
Well since they only beat Georgia by 14 at home I don't know what will happen in this one. Like every game we play it will depend on unforced turnovers that we accumulate against good and bad teams. If we turn it over 21 times they win by 15 or so and if we turn it over less than ten they go home a loser. Saying Davis want be the best player on the court makes you look silly she has numbers that far outshine the freshman Jackson and in the last couple games Jackson isn't even a starter anymore. She is a great player Davis is far better at this time in their playing careers.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Well since they only beat Georgia by 14 at home I don't know what will happen in this one. Like every game we play it will depend on unforced turnovers that we accumulate against good and bad teams. If we turn it over 21 times they win by 15 or so and if we turn it over less than ten they go home a loser. Saying Davis want be the best player on the court makes you look silly she has numbers that far outshine the freshman Jackson and in the last couple games Jackson isn't even a starter anymore. She is a great player Davis is far better at this time in their playing careers.

Georgia women’s basketball falls to Mississippi State after Gabby Connally leaves with injury

After helping build a lead and scoring six points, Georgia starting point guard Gabby Connally left the Bulldogs’ game against Mississippi State game due to injury. Connally departed in the second quarter, and Georgia’s early lead turned quickly into a 67-53 loss to Mississippi State in Starkville, Mississippi. Joni Taylor told the Mississippi State media that Gabby Connally was sent to a local hospital to be stitched up. Connally collided with Jordan Danberry in the second quarter and busted her head open.

see this is what is frustrating...Horston was ranked higher than Jackson so one would assume that Horston would be performing as well or even better than what Jackson has for Miss St, but that is not even close to being the case. This was the problem with Holly coached teams as all these top ranked players would come in and never get better. I hope Horston develops into a much better player than what she has shown, but so far Jackson has been very dynamic and very good for Vic's Miss St club.

see this is what is frustrating...Horston was ranked higher than Jackson so one would assume that Horston would be performing as well or even better than what Jackson has for Miss St, but that is not even close to being the case. This was the problem with Holly coached teams as all these top ranked players would come in and never get better. I hope Horston develops into a much better player than what she has shown, but so far Jackson has been very dynamic and very good for Vic's Miss St club.

Jackson is playing better not that much better but a little 13.9 ppg and 4.3 rebounds per game 2.3 assists Horston 10.1 ppg 5.6 rebounds and 5.1 assists the problem is Tennessee is putting Horston in a decision making role and Miss St is just letting Jackson be a shooting guard off the ball. She has 60 turnovers Horston has 97 wonder how many Jackson would have if she was at point guard.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Jackson is playing better not that much better but a little 13.9 ppg and 4.3 rebounds per game 2.3 assists Horston 10.1 ppg 5.6 rebounds and 5.1 assists the problem is Tennessee is putting Horston in a decision making role and Miss St is just letting Jackson be a shooting guard off the ball. She has 60 turnovers Horston has 97 wonder how many Jackson would have if she was at point guard.

then why hasn't the coaching staff let Horston play off the ball more..she can play 1-4

then why hasn't the coaching staff let Horston play off the ball more..she can play 1-4
Because we don't have but one point guard and the bench totally sucks. Rennie is a one dimensional player and Burrell or McCoy can't play point guard. We only have two that can Massengill and Horston. Green is injured. I agree we should allow her to play off the ball more puts a huge burden on Massengill but she should be able to go 32 minutes and Horston would be the lead only 8.

Reactions: travis929
Because we don't have but one point guard and the bench totally sucks. Rennie is a one dimensional player and Burrell or McCoy can't play point guard. We only have two that can Massengill and Horston. Green is injured. I agree we should allow her to play off the ball more puts a huge burden on Massengill but she should be able to go 32 minutes and Horston would be the lead only 8.
It seems when Burrell is in the game she goes from getting a rebound strait down the floor to the bucket so she is a ball handler she just don’t pass it. But there are times when mass is on the floor Horston has the ball in her hands 🤷‍♂️

Jackson is a legit go to player that is getting better every week, and more confident. She plays her best ball against the best teams. Maybe I am off in my assessment of her, but she really looks and plays the part when you watch her. She can get her shot off at anytime on anyone...and its a real smooth shot. She has future SEC 1st team written all over her. Watch her in the UT game and see what you think. Vic got a great one.

Reactions: Amb3096
It seems when Burrell is in the game she goes from getting a rebound strait down the floor to the bucket so she is a ball handler she just don’t pass it. But there are times when mass is on the floor Horston has the ball in her hands 🤷‍♂️
Not a good look for me and personally want to see Mass handle it most of the game would like to know the result of that type move. I am still very skeptical when Horston has the ball, not because she is not a great player, we don't know what she is going to do when she gets it. Coaching staff hasn't reeled her in maybe they see that as a bad thing to do. Other than turning it over she's been fine. I would love to see less passing out of her.

Reactions: Bret178
Jackson is a legit go to player that is getting better every week, and more confident. She plays her best ball against the best teams. Maybe I am off in my assessment of her, but she really looks and plays the part when you watch her. She can get her shot off at anytime on anyone...and its a real smooth shot. She has future SEC 1st team written all over her. Watch her in the UT game and see what you think. Vic got a great one.
Seen her play several times and she is an excellent player not even a question. He hasn't put a lot of responsibility on her other than being a shooter and defender. She doesn't do much passing and is usually the receiver of passes for shots. One thing is for certain her team could never beat Horston's team when they played in high school. Horston usually out scored her and out rebounded her. I think all the responsibility that Tennessee has put on Horston has affected her offensive game and her overall confidence. We've had to use her at backup point guard this season wasn't the original plan. Green back next and whomever comes in I hope she goes to the two guard spot permanently think she will be better and the team will be better.

Reactions: Rooster1
Not a good look for me and personally want to see Mass handle it most of the game would like to know the result of that type move. I am still very skeptical when Horston has the ball, not because she is not a great player, we don't know what she is going to do when she gets it. Coaching staff hasn't reeled her in maybe they see that as a bad thing to do. Other than turning it over she's been fine. I would love to see less passing out of her.
Burrell in the open court is a scary sight indeed...especially when there are 3 players waiting for her in the paint. You know that a charge, turnover, or bad shot attempt is to follow. At least Horston has the presence of mind to pull back and try to run a play.

I think it's crazy to say that Rennia will NOT be the best player on the court. Jackson is good though...and it's possible that her and Rennia cancel each other out. I think it's going to be the 2nd-4th scorers for each team that will decide this one: Danberry/Carter/Bibby vs. Horston/Key/Burrell. The two PGs probably won't score much, but they just need to take care of the ball and run the offense. Tennessee on paper should have a big rebounding edge, but MSST stayed even with SC on the boards for most of the game, so that's not a guarantee that Tennessee wins the battle of the boards.

This game is so unpredictable that it could go anywhere from a close Tennessee win to a MSST blowout. Thursday can't get here soon enough!

Burrell in the open court is a scary sight indeed...especially when there are 3 players waiting for her in the paint. You know that a charge, turnover, or bad shot attempt is to follow. At least Horston has the presence of mind to pull back and try to run a play.

I think it's crazy to say that Rennia will NOT be the best player on the court. Jackson is good though...and it's possible that her and Rennia cancel each other out. I think it's going to be the 2nd-4th scorers for each team that will decide this one: Danberry/Carter/Bibby vs. Horston/Key/Burrell. The two PGs probably won't score much, but they just need to take care of the ball and run the offense. Tennessee on paper should have a big rebounding edge, but MSST stayed even with SC on the boards for most of the game, so that's not a guarantee that Tennessee wins the battle of the boards.

This game is so unpredictable that it could go anywhere from a close Tennessee win to a MSST blowout. Thursday can't get here soon enough!
Actually Burrell's turnovers are down from her freshman season and her offensive efficiency is up. She is still a person with not enough basketball iq but at least some strides have been made. Even with the turnovers we do fine against almost any team until the subs hit the floor that is when we usually fall apart. I know at SC we lost the first 21 to 9 but that was because Horston was totally out of control and 6 turnovers in the first ten possessions.

Who do Lou Brown match up against that`s the problem ?

Seen her play several times and she is an excellent player not even a question. He hasn't put a lot of responsibility on her other than being a shooter and defender. She doesn't do much passing and is usually the receiver of passes for shots. One thing is for certain her team could never beat Horston's team when they played in high school. Horston usually out scored her and out rebounded her. I think all the responsibility that Tennessee has put on Horston has affected her offensive game and her overall confidence. We've had to use her at backup point guard this season wasn't the original plan. Green back next and whomever comes in I hope she goes to the two guard spot permanently think she will be better and the team will be better.

I did not know about the two playing against each other in HS. If Horston was outscoring Jackson in those games, it probably was because she was shooting more because if you watch the two shoot the ball now, Jackson's shot is a thing of beauty and she can get it off at anytime from anywhere, smooth as silk. Horston's shooting skills are not even close, I am surprised the analysts ranked Horston higher, but there is more to the game than a pretty shot. All I know is that if any coach were to watch the two play right now I guarantee you if given a choice between the two they would ALL take Jackson, its not even close.

I did not know about the two playing against each other in HS. If Horston was outscoring Jackson in those games, it probably was because she was shooting more because if you watch the two shoot the ball now, Jackson's shot is a thing of beauty and she can get it off at anytime from anywhere, smooth as silk. Horston's shooting skills are not even close, I am surprised the analysts ranked Horston higher, but there is more to the game than a pretty shot. All I know is that if any coach were to watch the two play right now I guarantee you if given a choice between the two they would ALL take Jackson, its not even close.
We can agree that she is a better shooter but she is not a better rebounder or assist player so saying she should be ranked higher solely on shooting is not really a total comparison. Rodman couldn't shoot when he was playing but he was still one of the best power forwards in the league. I am sure when the rankings came out they considered more than shooting. Horston is a scorer if not a shooter averaging 4 points less this season don't know what will happen in the next three seasons or even the rest of this one. No they would not take Jackson that is BS and shows you bias.

Reactions: Bret178
We can agree that she is a better shooter but she is not a better rebounder or assist player so saying she should be ranked higher solely on shooting is not really a total comparison. Rodman couldn't shoot when he was playing but he was still one of the best power forwards in the league. I am sure when the rankings came out they considered more than shooting. Horston is a scorer if not a shooter averaging 4 points less this season don't know what will happen in the next three seasons or even the rest of this one. No they would not take Jackson that is BS and shows you bias.

Not true. I cannot imagine any coach, today, taking Horston over Jackson if given the choice, and I mean no coach. I have no bias in this discussion between those two players btw, but I have watched both enough this year to see the obvious. Jackson is a budding superstar and everyone in the conference knows it, she already is the main go to for her team, which isn't exactly short on talent.

Someone will point out now that Jackson hasn't been starting lately, with Vic bringing her in off the bench around 3 minutes into their games. She plays over 30 minutes, is in for the full 4th if no foul issues and Vic sets all the shooting plays to her in the 4th in close games. That's their go to player.

Not true. I cannot imagine any coach, today, taking Horston over Jackson if given the choice, and I mean no coach. I have no bias in this discussion between those two players btw, but I have watched both enough this year to see the obvious. Jackson is a budding superstar and everyone in the conference knows it, she already is the main go to for her team, which isn't exactly short on talent.

Someone will point out now that Jackson hasn't been starting lately, with Vic bringing her in off the bench around 3 minutes into their games. She plays over 30 minutes, is in for the full 4th if no foul issues and Vic sets all the shooting plays to her in the 4th in close games.
Just your opinion and totally not very well thought out or true but anyway that is why we have a board so even people like you can make a post.

Reactions: Benionsopinion

VN Store

Back