Biggest area of improvement for 2020

Alcovolic1412

I’m curious to know what everyone thinks is the biggest area of improvement needed for the 2020 season.

Side note: This doesn’t have to turn into another QB debate

The better question is "what's the biggest area for improvement other than QB play?" QB play is obviously #1 right now.

The run game is right up there IMO. It was not great last season. We had a couple of good games (e.g. Miss State) and then Eric Gray had a couple of monster games at the end (Vandy, Indiana), but we nevertheless had one of the weakest rushing attacks overall in the SEC. Gray has to continue to play like he did at the end of last season, the O-line needs to improve on run blocking, and we probably need a couple more RBs to step up their game.

Overall, we need the run game to take a major step forward this year, particularly given that we're losing Jauan Jennings and Marquez Calloway in the receiving game.

We have to start and end halves much better. We lost the BYU and GSU games here and let the UF and UGA (especially) get away from us here...

Reactions: swampfoxfan
I'll say OL line play which parlays into a much improved running game and better QB protection which ...………………………………. should improve QB play as well.

Although you could also make the argument that improved OL play will result in TEs doing more catching rather than blocking.

Another possibility is that goal line/Orange Zone play will improve the most.

I also like the DL group to improve a bunch. Simmons should be in good playing shape and able to occupy a couple of holes up front.

Biggest areas of concern are LBs and WRs and I'm cautiously optimistic on both of those position groups.

One thing that needs to improve is game management. There were too many times this year where UT screwed up end of half situations, didn’t know when to take timeouts, had to take timeouts coming out of a timeout. That’s inexcusable at this level and will come back to bite Pruitt in the ass if he doesn’t get it corrected.

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
I’m curious to know what everyone thinks is the biggest area of improvement needed for the 2020 season.

Side note: This doesn’t have to turn into another QB debate

Let's see what year two with the same OC will do. However, with Weinke contract expiring, I do think JG/HB/BM get a new QB Coach. Maybe Tee?

Gotta go with all the components of the run game. Run blocking,right calls,timing with backs getting in the hole when it opens,etc. If that improves I think the offense will take the giant steps the defense did and hopefully continues to do.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Maybe not the biggest area of improvement we need to see but is anyone else tired of fair catches what seems like almost every kick for 2 years now? That's not Tennessee football. When was the last time somebody took it to the house? They need to step it up.

Big uglies need to mash, both sides, 5 star online, everyone back dline, QB is an understatement.

Reactions: sjt18
QB play and run game.

Quality depth still isn’t there, either.

I'll say OL line play which parlays into a much improved running game and better QB protection which ...………………………………. should improve QB play as well.
You have it backwards. UT was good at pass protection in spite of the fact that JG was one of the worst in the SEC in time to throw.

UT does need to run the ball better. But the RB's are middling.

Reactions: rocket in my pocket
Penalties-stop getting them
Offense-Find a QB, O-line will be good
Defense-Don't let the opposing QB stand in the pocket all day

Reactions: Vol Main
You have it backwards. UT was good at pass protection in spite of the fact that JG was one of the worst in the SEC in time to throw.

UT does need to run the ball better. But the RB's are middling.

I think the OL play will be better at run blocking and even better at pass blocking. The improved running game will take pressure off of the passing game.

Of course we need better QB play and I think the OL will be a catalyst for that. QB battles in the Spring will be interesting to say the least. JG keeping the same OC for the first time in college will hopefully help but he has fundamentals and mechanics to work on too.

VN Store

Back