D’Eriq King enters Transfer Portal. Is he a possible grab for the Vols?

Latest article I just read says that King to Miami is not a done deal, says he loved Miami visit, but still considering LSU and Arkansas.

I doubt Arkansas can even take him because we also hosted Feleipe Franks who has to enroll somewhere within the next two days to be eligible for the spring semester and go through spring ball. Can't afford to tell Franks no and have him go to Kansas and possibly miss on both him and King, and we aren't going to take two senior transfer QBs either.

Would obviously rather have King but it would be a gamble trying to wait on him when we could take the bird in hand right now. Only have 3 scholarship QBs on the roster currently and KJ Jefferson still needs a year or two before he's ready to start.

Latest article I just read says that King to Miami is not a done deal, says he loved Miami visit, but still considering LSU and Arkansas.
He keeps pushingLSU but right now they are holding pat, talks have been going on though. The issue is really Parrish, he's probably not going to work out. That leaves true freshman as backups with my guess Johnson leaping Parrish. LSU feels good about Brennan, not necessarily the backup position. To be continued...

I doubt Arkansas can even take him because we also hosted Feleipe Franks who has to enroll somewhere within the next two days to be eligible for the spring semester and go through spring ball. Can't afford to tell Franks no and have him go to Kansas and possibly miss on both him and King, and we aren't going to take two senior transfer QBs either.

Would obviously rather have King but it would be a gamble trying to wait on him when we could take the bird in hand right now. Only have 3 scholarship QBs on the roster currently and KJ Jefferson still needs a year or two before he's ready to start.

Franks is a perfect match for Arkansas because like Arkansas, he also sucks.

Franks is a perfect match for Arkansas because like Arkansas, he also sucks.

FC0633B3-EFFB-49D4-9193-A70019F62ECB.gif

He gone. Straight to Miami to get killed behind that poor excuse for an offensive line.

OU seems unlikely with Spencer Rattler waiting in the wings. LSU makes a ton of sense, obviously. Michigan, Oregon, Miami and Florida State all make sense too. You could even make a case for Bama, though not highly likely, who has a lot of bodies, but no one with King’s experience. Arkansas makes sense from a blank slate perspective, but they are a dumpster fire, right now. He’d have to really hate Holgerson and Houston to move on from there to Arkansas and an unproven coach with a major rebuild on his hands.

Nailed it.

Good call, surprised Miami would go that way with the 2 young guys there already. But maybe they want someone more proven for a potential "hot seat" 2nd season, doubt Manny gets the luxury of a slow rebuild with FSU, UCF, & Florida all starting to figure things out.

Nailed it.

Good call, surprised Miami would go that way with the 2 young guys there already. But maybe they want someone more proven for a potential "hot seat" 2nd season, doubt Manny gets the luxury of a slow rebuild with FSU, UCF, & Florida all starting to figure things out.
I’d say the instant credibility and proven commodity you mentioned is a big part of it. And really, they have three young guys already in Williams, Perry, and Martell. My guess is that one, perhaps two of those transfer, themselves.

Full disclosure, of the teams I listed, Miami made sense for King, but King didn’t necessarily make the most sense for Miami. With a new OC, though, perhaps Lashlee felt King was a better fit than the three already on campus.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol

Franks is garbage.

I’d say the instant credibility and proven commodity you mentioned is a big part of it. And really, they have three young guys already in Williams, Perry, and Martell. My guess is that one, perhaps two of those transfer, themselves.

Full disclosure, of the teams I listed, Miami made sense for King, but King didn’t necessarily make the most sense for Miami. With a new OC, though, perhaps Lashlee felt King was a better fit than the three already on campus.

I'm sure they like his legs too, with how poorly that OL seemed to be in pass protection last year. Will be interesting to see how it plays out, personally not sure I'd consider Miami much better than Arkansas, but we that Pittman wanted some SEC experience and has Franks.

If you do not want D'eriq King to UT you're an idiot. It really is that simple.
Bumped so you can check my stats. Some of you all just do not understand football. Miami a bottom dweller is now the number 7 team in the country averaging over 43 points per game!

Bumped so you can check my stats. Some of you all just do not understand football. Miami a bottom dweller is now the number 7 team in the country averaging over 43 points per game!

Can we reference your stats when Clemson destroys them this weekend? He plays in the Almost Competitive Conference...UAB is probably the best team he has played so far. Also Miami isn’t a top 10 team. All but about 4 SEC teams would beat them handily.

Can we reference your stats when Clemson destroys them this weekend? He plays in the Almost Competitive Conference...UAB is probably the best team he has played so far. Also Miami isn’t a top 10 team. All but about 4 SEC teams would beat them handily.
If D'Eriq King is still in contention for the Heisman then yes I would expect you to do so.

The fact that King is in fact a true Heisman contender. I was berated repeatedly for suggesting that King would turn Tennessee into an instant championship contender. Now look at Miami ranked #7 with nowhere near the talent we have.
Oh, I thought you were talking about Sleegro, you did say “look at this guy”. No interest on my part of you slapping yourself on your back for whatever drivel this is about. Carry on.

VN Store

Back