Schedule and winnable games

This is the strangest team we have had in a long time. After so many games no real identity has emerged as we don't seem to do anything really well but we have some capability in every facet of the game. Makes us hard to scheme against!

Agreed but I do think we have established we are an above average defensive team. Top 25 Iirc

Agreed but I do think we have established we are an above average defensive team. Top 25 Iirc

I thought so too before we added the 2 new transfer players, and the UGA game. Hopefully they will be playing tough defense before the end of season.

Didn't really learn anything from the Vandy game other than Vandy is horrible. Big week as we need to beat Ole Miss tomorrow and not get blown out vs Kansas. I think if we show improvement the second half of the season we'll find a way in.

Much like 2016-17, I think we will struggle big time in February. During that grind, talent and depth takes on added importance and we just don't have enough of that this year. I think we will smoke and mirror our way into bubble discussion by end of January but by the end of February, I think we are fighting for NIT bid.

I agree - which really I would consider a successful year given what all has taken place. It is and was probably always considered a rebuilding year. Losing Grant and Bone early, then Turner going down; that's 3 people this team was built around. We have some nice pieces but are probably a year away from being scary good. A combination of bandaids and lipstick can only do so much. Unfortunately, our schedule in February looks extremely difficult and would be a challenge for a top tier team. I love this team because they play hard every game and honestly are already over achieving imho. Love their effort.

The SEC this season is completely unpredictable, so predicting the rest of this season is hard. I don’t care though!! I think this is what are season will end up looking like.
January;
Home vs. Ole Miss
At Kansas
Home vs. A&M
Realistically I think it’s feasible to win 2/3 of these games which would put us at 13-7(5-2), so we would remain in a decent position coming out of January.
February;
At Miss St.
At Bama
Home vs. Kentucky
Home vs. Arkansas
At USCjr
Home vs. Vandy
At Auburn
At Arkansas
Home vs Florida
February is where we can either get better and stay alive for a possible tourney bid, or completely fall apart and have a putrid season. I see lots of for sure losses, some games we should win, and a few toss-ups. Say we go 5-4 in this stretch. This would have us at 18-11(10-6) which I believe is pretty reasonable to hope for.
March;
At Kentucky
Vs. Auburn
Now both of these games are far from a sure thing, but if we protect home court and have grown over the course of the season I believe we can beat Auburn at home. So split in March. We end 19-12(11-7) going into the SEC tournament. Now, to me this is the best case scenario. The worst is finishing 15-16 overall and just flaming out early in February. I honestly don’t know which one is more likely. We beat Mizzou pretty good at their place 69-59 then they go and beat Florida. We beat USCjr and then they go and beat Kentucky. Then Auburn has last 2 in a row to Alabama, and totally beat down at Florida by 22. Also, they only put up 47 points in that game. The point I’m trying to make is that there are no truly elite teams in the SEC this year, and we have chances in more games than what we all think we do. The key is for this team to keep growing, and to keep gelling down the stretch. JJJ has proven enough to be our best PG option, so honestly Vescovi should be our kick out guy hitting open 3’s. He’s got a clean shot, and he’s been very consistent out there. We will all see what happens, but I thought I’d just throw my two cents out there. It may not mean much, but I still have hope. Even though we are very inconsistent lol. How many of Volnation are optimistic with me? How many think I hit the peace pipe this morning? Lol

Good write up. We all enjoy playing the win/loss prognostication game. My concern is JJJ and Vescovi hit a wall in Feb. Even if they don’t, 16-17 regular season wins is the max imo. The lack of perimeter play will hurt this team vs FL, KY, Auburn, Kansas and so on.

We need better play from point guard and Bowden to go on a run.

I'm typically pretty realistic with predictions and I see 16-15 (8-10) with a win in the SECT.

I think the BasketVols finish 18-13 and wind up in the NIT Tournament

after Lamonte went out, that's what I was thinking, but now, with Santiago and Uros, and liking that the team chemistry seems to be improving, I'm going for at least two or three more wins...yep, still gonna be tough, but I thought that maybe if we had just two or three more, we could burst somebody's bubble...:D

GO BIG ORANGE!

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
after Lamonte went out, that's what I was thinking, but now, with Santiago and Uros, and liking that the team chemistry seems to be improving, I'm going for at least two or three more wins...yep, still gonna be tough, but I thought that maybe if we had just two or three more, we could burst somebody's bubble...:D

GO BIG ORANGE!
A 19-12 or 20-11 Tennessee men's basketball team will be in the NCAA Tournament:cool:

Another reason that I think 16-16 gets an NIT bid is because having 5 freshmen and 4 foreign players in the rotation makes the story line more interesting. Of course it ultimately depends on what the records of teams 69-100 are. I think TN gets in over most P-5/6 teams with similar records. Except for UNC.

Another reason for the NIT to take TN is that making the field will be an achievement. That's a better selling point than a team that had a disappointing season that settles for the NIT. And TN hasn't been since Cuonzo's 2nd year.

Reactions: ArdentVol
The bigger question to me is where the NCAAT cut off is. I think that 19-14 is a near lock. 18-14 would require a lot of help by other bubble teams taking losses and one-bid leagues not getting 2 in, and no really bad mid major and above teams getting automatic bids by winning their conference tournaments. Heck fahr, let's just win the SECT. Haven't we been the runner up the last 2 years?

Another reason that I think 16-16 gets an NIT bid is because having 5 freshmen and 4 foreign players in the rotation makes the story line more interesting. Of course it ultimately depends on what the records of teams 69-100 are. I think TN gets in over most P-5/6 teams with similar records. Except for UNC.

Another reason for the NIT to take TN is that making the field will be an achievement. That's a better selling point than a team that had a disappointing season that settles for the NIT. And TN hasn't been since Cuonzo's 2nd year.

Georgia would be way more appealing than us to the NIT

It is going to be hard to win at Allen Fieldhouse on Saturday and there are some great games coming up in the Big 12/SEC Challenge.

Good write up. We all enjoy playing the win/loss prognostication game. My concern is JJJ and Vescovi hit a wall in Feb. Even if they don’t, 16-17 regular season wins is the max imo. The lack of perimeter play will hurt this team vs FL, KY, Auburn, Kansas and so on.

We need better play from point guard and Bowden to go on a run.

I was thinking that most of the freshmen have already hit the proverbial wall. Like someone said above, if they can just take it one game at a time, and get all the wins they are capable of, then they have a chance. They just need to do that, and continue to get better. If not, they could hit a big losing streak real easy. I do agree with the thought that it is hard to game plan for us. We don't have any one top player to focus on stopping. Heck, WE don't even know what we are going to do next!

If I was game planning for TN I'd keep the pressure on Vescovi, pay attention to JJJ in the half court, smack around Fulk, and make one of the others have a great night to win.

Reactions: cardvolfan
You saw in the Vandy game 2 different teams. If team #2 shows up the rest of the season then yes, miracles are still possible. But, if team #1 shows up for even a half in the last 11 games they're headed at best to the NIT.
I'm a big believer that a team is capable of performing to their best performances regularly if progress is ongoing. I liked your comparison and agree 100%.

We win 19
Fulk & Yves are 11 & 6 average rest season
JB gets consistent and reliable
Uros grows into his role
Vescovi settles down but still to many TO’s
JJJ becomes more aggressive double figures nightly & 6+ rebounds
Growing Pains

I looked at our schedule and thought 4-10 down the stretch. That was before Uros became available. If he continues his growth and can be a threat in the paint. That comes with game minutes. And if they can protect the ball more. Then your completely right. All of college ball is up in the air. We beat Washington, VCU. Almost beat Florida State. This team is awful. They just got turnover prone and couldnt throw it in the ocean. They need to relax and just play. Anything is possible.
This team is in fact not “awful”.

We win 19
Fulk & Yves are 11 & 6 average rest season
JB gets consistent and reliable
Uros grows into his role
Vescovi settles down but still to many TO’s
JJJ becomes more aggressive double figures nightly & 6+ rebounds
Growing Pains
19-11 “should” get us in. Just get in, then anything can happen!

ashamed I forgot about this

read your posts regularly before joining VN

always good research and analysis
ashamed I forgot about this

read your posts regularly before joining VN

always good research and analysis
I remember listening to the semis on the radio and when Tennessee lost thinking the season was over. Only to stumble across Tennessee playing in a third place game a night or two later. At some point the NIT dropped the consolation game.

VN Store

Back