'22 GA DE/OLB Mykel Williams

No mention of a commitment on his Twitter feed but we offered him this summer:

1579049734038.png

Williams is the only sophomore on the AJC's 4A all-state team.

In the #4-spot is two-way lineman Mykel Williams of Columbus (Ga.) Hardaway. This past season Williams recorded 57 tackles, 18 TFL’s, ten sacks and 14 QBH’s in just nine games. He also plays offensive tackle for the Hawks. Williams holds scholarship offers from Tennessee, Troy and Virginia Tech.
2022 South Georgia Player Rankings: V1.0

Mykel Williams is name you want to know. Many college coaches are starting to learn it, and he is rapidly approaching double-digit offers. Tennessee jumped on Williams first. The Vols offered June 22 at camp and it was "exhilarating" to get that news a month after his sophomore year.

Since that first offer, the 6-foot-5, 258 pound defensive end out of Columbus (Ga.) Hardaway has added offers from Auburn, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina and Troy. All those came after the 2019 season.

Williams is only a sophomore, but he is already getting out, visiting schools, and out of the schools that have offered, he has tripped to Auburn, Athens, Columbia and Knoxville. He shares his thoughts on each of those programs.

Auburn: "I was at Auburn right before the dead period and I have been to a game, so I know some things about them. I really like coach G (Rodney Garner). He knows how to coach, he has put a lot of guys in the NFL and that really stands out. I think he has put 44 guys into the NFL, so how could you not like coach G if you are a defensive lineman?"

Georgia: "I really like coach Tray Scott a lot at Georgia. He is a cool guy, he has a cool personality and we have been talking a lot. I have visited Georgia a couple of times too, and I like it up there. It is a cool place."

South Carolina: "I have visited South Carolina once and they probably have the top facilities I have seen. I like the campus, the facilities and it was a nice place."

Tennessee: "I have been there for a camp, then for a game, and I like the coaches and the fans At the game, the fans were crazy and I really liked that. They have a lot of passion. The coaches have stayed in communication, so that has been good too. Tennessee being first to offer means something too. They got it started and I really appreciate that."

He is looking to visit Kentucky for the first time in March, then get back to Georgia and Tennessee in the spring. It is still early, so he is in no rush to get through the recruiting process.

"It is crazy with the offers coming in, but I am just staying humble," said Williams. "I am always focused on my schoolwork, taking care of my grades and letting everything just happen. "I am not ready to name a leader or anything like that. It is just too soon for that."

Williams had 58 tackles, 24 quarterback hurries, 18 tackles for loss and 11 sacks in 2019

- Chad Simmons, Rivals

Insane talent evaluation for Pruitt and co, being half a year ahead of everyone on this offer. Off the tops of yall's heads, who are some other elite prospects that we offered first? I feel like I've seen it so many times.

Reactions: TennacJed and T Dog
Insane talent evaluation for Pruitt and co, being half a year ahead of everyone on this offer. Off the tops of yall's heads, who are some other elite prospects that we offered first? I feel like I've seen it so many times.
I feel like this is due to Pruitt's high school pedigree. Him having coached those years at Hoover...He knows a high school talent when he sees one, because he coached them at a powerhouse. Some of these coaches start as G.A.'s and then just move on to on field college coaches to some degree and don't really know what to look for in a high school talent because all they see is college. At least not to the degree that CJP can.

FOUR-STAR DL MYKEL WILLIAMS
Williams, a top-50 prospect nationally from Hardaway High School in Columbus, Ga., said Tennessee defensive coordinator Derrick Ansley was the "first one to contact me" among the college coaches that reached out to him early Tuesday morning.

The 6-foot-5, 255-pound Williams said Ansley sent him a message at 12:01 a.m., and he later heard from Vols head coach Jeremy Pruitt, too. "(Ansley) wanted me to commit," Williams said, recalling the first message he received.

Williams said Georgia contacted him not long after Tennessee. The Vols and Bulldogs were the first teams that came to mind for Williams last month when 247Sports' Rusty Mansell asked him which team was recruiting him hardest. “I’d say Georgia or Tennessee,” Williams said at the time.

He picked up an early offer from Tennessee in June 2019 during a visit for one of the Vols’ camps. Tennessee hosted him again in October for its home game against Mississippi State, and he most recently visited the Vols in early March, just a few days before the NCAA shut down all recruiting visits.

Williams is ranked by 247Sports as the No. 44 overall prospect and No. 5 defensive tackle in the 2022 class.

- Callahan

Mykel Williams is the No. 51 overall prospect in the country, and after seeing him live again recently, that is too low. The 6-foot-5, 258 pound junior at Hardaway High is an athletic defensive end with size, feet, flexibility, strength, speed and upside.

"It is exciting to see who all is hitting me up," said Williams. "Leading up to September 1, the schools that have been on me hard are LSU, Georgia, Ohio State, Penn State, Clemson, Tennessee, Notre Dame, USC, Arizona State and a few others.
"I have really clicked with a lot of the coaches. Some of the head coaches are coach Smart at Georgia, coach Orgeron at LSU and coach Pruitt at Tennessee.
c.simmons

His team played my team tonight... pretty physical but only dominated because of his size and athleticism

VN Store

Back