Game Thread: #23/24 TENNESSEE VS. GEORGIA

Amb, I’ve known several women who battled eating disorders. Trust me, the body image issue is soooo much more complicated than just lack of willpower.
As have I...but we're not talking about the average woman here. These are elite athletes.

As have I...but we're not talking about the average woman here. These are elite athletes.

I ran college for division 1 and the elite athletes there also had issues even with us having both nutritionists and sports psychologists. There was nothing average about them.

I do wonder what’s up with her conditioning... I am glad we have a post with a wider body to bang with some of the other posts we will run up against (Johnson from A&M, Boston from SC, Knight from Alabama, Fasoula (sp ?) from Vandy... Key will have to gain some strength and muscle but looks like she is just meant to be leaner... I am interested to see what KK and McCoy look like after a year with Kellie Harper and her conditioning.

I remember last year KK looked good coming into the season then had a foot injury and never really got back on track til UCLA game.

Unfortunately, a person’s susceptibility to developing eating disorders is usually determined long before she reaches elite athlete status. It really is a serious disease.
I don't disagree...which is why I believe it's an individual issue, not an institutional one.

I am interested to see what KK and McCoy look like after a year with Kellie Harper and her conditioning. VA Volman

My impression, based on McCoy's playing career prior to LVs is she was a post (period). She is learning man-to-man and switching against all players. And the SEC quality is far superior to the junior college circuit. I like her effort. She also was non-playing for two weeks with finger injury and then the cut under her eye requiring protective glasses. She is a sub for Lou.

KK had some quality SEC games last year and I was expecting (maybe hoping) for a breakout year, and I haven't given up. A non-professional observation is her reaction time, both offensive and defensive, is not fast enough to prevent tie-ups and blocks.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
The only thing holly did better than Kelly was to not play kam.
Sad, but Harris looked at the start of the season, of course that was mostly against cupcakes, she was going to be good for giving a player a little time to rest for a short period of time, now she seems lost. It does seem that when KJH subs, it throws the ladies off, however, it seems to happen mostly when she subs in three or more at a time, Rennie seems to be a good shooter but lacks the speed to keep up with fast or quick guards. I like KK but she seems to lack toughness and she always takes the ball down when She rebounds the ball instead of keeping it high. Burrell can make positive things happen except when she plays like a bull locked in china dish shop. I would like to see Saunders a little more. Against top ten talent our bench will get exposed and taken to the mat. However, this is a work in progress and as we should have known before KJH took the job, our team was in serious need of a coaching staff that had a clue of what needed to be done. I have to admit, I have seen progress on offense and our defense is not that bad when our top six players are on the floor. We still have a few too many turnovers. But still, Rome was not rebuilt in a day.

A number of posts have commented on CKH substitution patterns. They can't understand them. Remember, she is basing her subbing on keeping fresh legs for defense and rebounding. I am not saying this is her only reason, but this is her main reason for subbing. This is from her comments in a interview.
Thanks Nute for the update

Based on the LVs improvement, especially on offense, it is evident that Coach Brown's fingerprints are all over it....The offense goes through Key now, like he said on the radio show how important Key is to being a winning team again....

Agreed, I don't think that timing is coincidence. Put him on the staff! (officially)

Reactions: GameTime
Where did this myth that Kam had "greatly improved" get started anyway? She's still the same player she always was, and the team is hurting when she's in...

That myth was posted by an eager poster back at the very beginning of the season...I believe she made a shot from around 8 feet and the poster got a little carried away....

When her and KK are on the floor together, forget about it!

Unless the cow turns out to be a bull....Coach Brown is a bull....Amazing how much better we look since he got here.
Think we should maybe pump the brakes a bit on attributing recent good play to Al Brown. More likely hard work for many months by Coach Kellie, her staff and the kids starting to pay off.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the significant improvement in free throw shooting. I've been hard on Kellie about it, so I have to give her credit on how much better it has been the last three games. Keep it up!
Rennia said in after game interview, that they shoot free throws in practice, and run when they miss. 🙂

Lou the glue comes through!

She had a heck of game. I didn;t expect to see her cutting to the lane for lay-ups. She hit some threes and compensated for her lack of lateral quickness with excellent anticipation and positioning.

I was impressed.

And a little love for Jazz. Another well managed games and she hit some timely 3s to keep the defense honest.

lol madtown.

The ones who make my eyes roll back in my head the farthest are the ones who, within a few weeks of Kellie’s hiring, were already complaining that she wasn’t getting any verbal commitments from the list of top 10 recruits. I mean, Oh. My. God.

I am interested to see what KK and McCoy look like after a year with Kellie Harper and her conditioning. VA Volman

My impression, based on McCoy's playing career prior to LVs is she was a post (period). She is learning man-to-man and switching against all players. And the SEC quality is far superior to the junior college circuit. I like her effort. She also was non-playing for two weeks with finger injury and then the cut under her eye requiring protective glasses. She is a sub for Lou.

KK had some quality SEC games last year and I was expecting (maybe hoping) for a breakout year, and I haven't given up. A non-professional observation is her reaction time, both offensive and defensive, is not fast enough to prevent tie-ups and blocks.

On KK, she desperately needs more time in the weight. She is clearly predisposed to being a wide body type player. No problem there, lots of posts who are not exactly svelte, have big impacts. But KK plays weak. Breaking it down, Her upper body, core, and leg strength all seem subpar. This year she has looked pretty good when matched up against much smaller players pre-season but she has been totally shut down when facing posts who height or might be a bit shorter but can muscle her off her spots.

Along with strength and to your point, she needs to greatly improver her reaction time. She will never be the quickest player but she could get a lot better. However, these kind of conditioning improvements take a lot commitment. You have to put in extra work outside of the team structure. So far, it does not seem that KK has wanted to make that investment.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
Kk needs to get in better shape physically. Lady Vols training staff should be ashamed at KK and MCCOY' s lack of being in shape to play this season.
Everyone (especially those who have posted negative comments on her) please read my post on McCoy.

Last edited:
Reactions: ruvol
Think we should maybe pump the brakes a bit on attributing recent good play to Al Brown. More likely hard work for many months by Coach Kellie, her staff and the kids starting to pay off.

Both can be true, but if we're being honest the biggest factor is the quality of opposition these last couple of games...

VN Store

Back