‘We could’ve been legends there.’ Clemson offensive stars grew up fans of SEC school

hard to swallow, thinking about what might have been. But I'm not to blame for that. Other people are. People who don't care anything about UT now, and maybe they never did! That's why it's important to have someone like CPF at the helm. Those days are over. Maybe Tennessee will once again be a place where players from Tennessee can want to be a part of the program!

Reactions: AM64
To me , we were sputtering at times before this , but the day when we lost a cylinder was the loss to Clemson in the PB . That signaled a significant downturn imo. At the time it was absurd. Probably the spark that lit the flames of their rise.

While folks want to put everything on who was coaching at the time - this trend did not happen over night. Tennessee had lost the automatic pull of top players long before that.

Reactions: Wezcoast
My bet is that most players don't necessarily end up schools they were fans of. This is not the past that a lot of you want to live in. The players are going to evaluate the situation - which team fits the style that gives them the best chance to play and make an impact. Some will consider the educational aspect as well - those mentioned in this article quite frankly probably did not care about the education - their thoughts were clearly which offense is going to give me the chance to show what "I" can do so the NFL will notice. That is why they recruit each other and end up selecting a school in packs.

These days the key to recruiting seems to be knowing which one you need to keep hold of to keep the others.

And the players that are absolutely committed to their decision are dwindling - look at the transfer portal - it is full of players trying to move to somewhere else where they can make an impact.

There is absolutely no loyalty to schools like there was in the past. Most of these kids don't even understand the opportunity they are given to secure an education ... something they will need after football ends.

Trey Smith gets it! Josh Dobbs got it! Some only see $$$ ...

Reactions: AM64 and Boca Vol
My bet is that most players don't necessarily end up schools they were fans of. This is not the past that a lot of you want to live in. The players are going to evaluate the situation - which team fits the style that gives them the best chance to play and make an impact. Some will consider the educational aspect as well - those mentioned in this article quite frankly probably did not care about the education - their thoughts were clearly which offense is going to give me the chance to show what "I" can do so the NFL will notice. That is why they recruit each other and end up selecting a school in packs.

These days the key to recruiting seems to be knowing which one you need to keep hold of to keep the others.

And the players that are absolutely committed to their decision are dwindling - look at the transfer portal - it is full of players trying to move to somewhere else where they can make an impact.

There is absolutely no loyalty to schools like there was in the past. Most of these kids don't even understand the opportunity they are given to secure an education ... something they will need after football ends.

Trey Smith gets it! Josh Dobbs got it! Some only see $$$ ...

I agree with everything you wrote until the end. If you have the ability to make it in the NFL you will, odds on, make more money taking that route than in the "job" market. College is a tool to help you to succeed. Use it to your benefit whatever path that takes. Plus, depending on how long you were in the league, you have your pension, etc. You can always go back and get your degree, if you choose.

I see lot's of Butch blame on here.

The real blame should go to - Mike Hamilton. I disagree with firing Fulmer in the first place, but realize that is a debatable position. Regardless, we could have hired a much better coach (the first, second or third time) than those that Hamilton hired and we wouldn't have wandered in the wilderness of mediocrity for so many years.

Reactions: vols4evah and AM64
Really don’t want to hear it. They made their decision and it’s worked out for them. We need to continue to move forward and not think “what if?”

The consequences of hiring the wrong coach go way beyond the field. When blue chip recruits see a clown show at their hone state school, they will go elsewhere

Had no idea about Etienne. That's the whole offense now! Jeremy Pruitt was a couple years too late 😭😭😭

I see lot's of Butch blame on here.

The real blame should go to - Mike Hamilton. I disagree with firing Fulmer in the first place, but realize that is a debatable position. Regardless, we could have hired a much better coach (the first, second or third time) than those that Hamilton hired and we wouldn't have wandered in the wilderness of mediocrity for so many years.
I believe Fulmer was done. However, you don't fire him (on homecoming no less) with your plan being someone like Lane Kiffin.

When will the fan base quit crying over Butch and move on? What's done is done. Be happy it's in the past and that we are moving forward.

I believe Fulmer was done. However, you don't fire him (on homecoming no less) with your plan being someone like Lane Kiffin.

I believe Hamilton fired him with no plan - the ridiculous plan to hire Kiffin was the next bad idea in the sequence

VN Store

Back