How much football experience do you have?

How much football experience do you have (pick highest level)

• Played Elementry/Little League Football

Votes: 31 4.4%
  • Played Junior High/Middle School Football

Votes: 55 7.9%
  • Played JV High School Football

Votes: 31 4.4%
  • Played Varsity High School Football

Votes: 309 44.3%
  • Played Non Power 5 College Football

Votes: 101 14.5%
  • Played Power 5 College Football

Votes: 14 2.0%
  • Played Semi Pro Football

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Played Professionally Outside of US

Votes: 3 0.4%
  • Played NFL Football

Votes: 33 4.7%
  • No Football Playing Experience

Votes: 111 15.9%

• Total voters
I’m trying to think of who we might mutually know from the Possums:

Wally Burnett - Flyhalf
Doug Brown - Forward
Tim Chambers - Forward
Oscar ? - Flanker
Wild Man - Forward
Steve Cunningham - Back

I am sure there are more, but my old brain isn’t what it used to be.

Wally, Doug, Tim, and I are childhood buddies.

My plan is to play in the St. Patty’s tournament in Savannah in March. However, I currently have a bad case of plantar fasciitis that is hindering my training. If my foot cooperates and I am able to play, I will be able to say I played in 5 decades. I missed the ‘70s by 5 months.

I’ve battled plantar fasciitis several times over the years. I’ve done all the conventional treatments-orthotics, tennis ball exercises, ice can therapy, ice, stretching, etc. Each time, it seemed I had a worse case of it. Last time, I even tried acupuncture I was so desperate, didn't help. However, a friend told me about Graston Technique. Orthos, chiros and PTs use this technique. It’s a small metal boomerang shaped tool that they rake over scar tissue. They used this on my foot, and it hurts like hell, but it got rid of the PF. I had several sessions. I’d highly recommend it if you can’t get rid of it. Haven't had PF in over 6 years.

Reactions: ATC_VOL
I’ve battled plantar fasciitis several times over the years. I’ve done all the conventional treatments-orthotics, tennis ball exercises, ice can therapy, ice, stretching, etc. Each time, it seemed I had a worse case of it. Last time, I even tried acupuncture I was so desperate, didn't help. However, a friend told me about Graston Technique. Orthos, chiros and PTs use this technique. It’s a small metal boomerang shaped tool that they rake over scar tissue. They used this on my foot, and it hurts like hell, but it got rid of the PF. I had several sessions. I’d highly recommend it if you can’t get rid of it. Haven't had PF in over 6 years.

Wow! Thanks for the recommendation, VolGirl81. I haven't ran since early September. I did try to go to rugby practice in late December, but that lasted about 15 minutes with this foot. I will ask my PT about the Graston Technique. If she needs to purchase the tool(s), I am sure she will.

Reactions: BbqandVols
This is actually a very interesting poll, I saw one similar to it a few years ago, it wasn't about football, it was about race cars. The poll was trying to determine how many NASCAR fans had actual track time, and in what type of car. As it turned out the vast majority of fans had never driven a race car, but a large number did admit to getting a speeding ticket (at least once). Those in charge of the business side of NASCAR decided if the fans don't like a change etc. that was just to bad, as they really didn't know anything, and so it went. For me, fans and fan $$$$ drives almost every sport-they should be listened to. Look how long we kept boy butch---I know a large group of the boy butch butt bumping club members were upset to see him go, but the vast majority were not.

Reactions: AM64
I don’t see an option here for intramural or Thanksgiving pickup games?

Sup with that? 🤣

This is actually a very interesting poll, I saw one similar to it a few years ago, it wasn't about football, it was about race cars. The poll was trying to determine how many NASCAR fans had actual track time, and in what type of car. As it turned out the vast majority of fans had never driven a race car, but a large number did admit to getting a speeding ticket (at least once). Those in charge of the business side of NASCAR decided if the fans don't like a change etc. that was just to bad, as they really didn't know anything, and so it went. For me, fans and fan $$$$ drives almost every sport-they should be listened to. Look how long we kept boy butch---I know a large group of the boy butch butt bumping club members were upset to see him go, but the vast majority were not.
We as fans and investors (in a sense) definitely deserve to be heard....the comment often get made here about CJP or others knowing whats best...and the best response to that is an example...just because Steve Jobs created Apple. Doesnt mean there isnt a million people in thier basement that could have done it better.

So while our opinion is just that. It doesnt make it without merit just because we are not the coach

Last edited:
Reactions: I40flyer
We as fans and investors (in a sense) definitely deserve to be heard....the comment often get made here about CJP or others knowing whats best...and the best response to that is an example...just because Steve Jobs created Apple. Doesnt mean there isnt a million people in thier basement that could have done it better.

So while our opinion is just that. It doesnt make it without merit just because we are not the coach
Interesting post! And right on. I know Steve Jobs created Apple, but had he not paid attention to the consumer(s) of his products, Apple would not be as successful as it is. From my understanding there were several contemporaries of Jobs that had a hand in the start up. I agree with you 100%, if the fans are not happy (to the extent they stop their $$$$) changes must be made-quickly.

Reactions: whodeycin85
I played flag football for my sorority in college. I guess that's Non Power 5. . . I need another option. :)

I showed up for tryouts at the Knoxville arena football team, whatever it was called, back in the early 2000's. I did not participate.

Played from 4th grade up through freshman year. My size at the time was a big impediment. I didn't gain any weight or break 6 foot until halfway through college.

I have had the pleasure of coaching and helping develop my son since 4th grade, who is now about start his senior year and will be a 4 year starter in college. He's played QB, WR, and DB in College and HS.

I'll be honest, I played college ball for 2 years, got into the meat of my degree and was overloaded with work. So I quit football, I knew I was not ever going pro. I was 2nd string on a alright division 3 school with just academic scholarships, it did not effect my education.

I just played for the love of the game, sometimes you have to give up on the thing you love to find other loves in your life. I would not trade my family that I have built and provided for on the sacrifice of playing 2 more years of football.

Reactions: 'Boro-vol
I'll be honest, I played college ball for 2 years, got into the meat of my degree and was overloaded with work. So I quit football, I knew I was not ever going pro. I was 2nd string on a alright division 3 school with just academic scholarships, it did not effect my education.

I just played for the love of the game, sometimes you have to give up on the thing you love to find other loves in your life. I would not trade my family that I have built and provided for on the sacrifice of playing 2 more years of football.
Man that’s the truth....a Div. III athlete has to love it.

My son has always used football as a driver to succeed in the classroom. His love for the game and his need to be eligible has kept him focused in the classroom. I think the experience in college would have been much different with the resources and drive that football has provided him.

That said, he’s looking forward to the freedom and time he’ll enjoy when it’s over. It’s been his year-round focus for so long, he’s about ready to do something else.

Reactions: BeecherVol
I played when I was young. Like many I played other sports as a youth. Basketball, Football, Baseball. After a few years, I settled on Basketball and played it through HS.

Had a first cousin that had scholarship offers in football to other schools but walked on at UT in the early 80's.

Man that’s the truth....a Div. III athlete has to love it.

My son has always used football as a driver to succeed in the classroom. His love for the game and his need to be eligible has kept him focused in the classroom. I think the experience in college would have been much different with the resources and drive that football has provided him.

That said, he’s looking forward to the freedom and time he’ll enjoy when it’s over. It’s been his year-round focus for so long, he’s about ready to do something else.

Yeah they do, the coach didn't ostracize me at all after I quit/retired. He still invited me to some team activities and called to talk with me about life and academics. I gave my all for 2 years at that school and he knew that, truth be told I opened a roster spot for probably a much more talented player. I am undersized but outworked people.

I am a girl. Does playing intramural flag football in college or in the backyard with my brothers count? :)
Hell yes it counts!! I remember seeing a poll asking how many of you have actually held an elected office (city, county, fed), because a lot of people seem to have opinions regarding political decisions without running for office themselves! But, while the vast majority did not ever hold a public office, they did vote. You can compare voting to buying tickets/donations etc., you are voting with your dollars when it comes to sports teams, this makes your opinion very important! Just like elected office, if those with the votes don't like the way you handle the public business, you will not be re-elected.

never beat son at tecmo bowl, r enjoyed strat-o-matic and played in fantasy leagues where someone had to keep the stats (keeper league with jerry rice)

Reactions: I40flyer

VN Store

Back