Doug Matthews says more offensive staff changes expected

That's also why it might be Weinke leaving. I think he'll have some opportunities.

One issue we might have with some of these really good assistants on offense is that there might not be a path to promotion. Chaney is a career OC and wants to stay here. Tee Martin appears to be next in line as far as things go; he has OC experience at a P5 school and he's highly regarded. So where does that leave guys like Weinke and (before he left) Johnson?

I think Weinke is underrated on these boards, but that also might be why some other coaches try to lure him away.
He can’t be that bad if he’s wanted elsewhere. I think fans get so fixated on recruiting that they lose sight of player development sometimes. And from all accounts Weinke has done a good job at whatever has been asked of him

If they want to get Tosh Lupoi better make moves soon, because he's been interviewing with multiple NFL teams for D-Line coach
Have to think CJP is on top of things and is pretty tight with Tosh. Several staffs in the building process and it's probably more about the benjamins than loyalty to most coaches these days.

ME simmer down? It appears that you are the heated one. I'm very cool. And it was Obvious to SOME on here that Chaney had to help with the Oline; because it wasn't happening with Friend. Sorry to rattle your cage so early.
I don't think it reflects on Friend as being a bad coach more than it does the overall urgency of the situation and the point of where the most help was needed. Also the OL is the OC's responsibility anyway as are the RB's, receivers, QB's.TE's. Chaney was also a new OC and maybe Friend was somewhat unfamiliar with some of his schemes. Accordingly CJC was doing his job. Now we have Cade Mays who likely is familiar with what Chaney wants and want need as much coaching as others.

Reactions: JohnWardForever
This is still a head case for me. Honestly, I thought Friend was a grand slam hire at his position. I had really really high expectations for him... I guess I will just have to trust that Pruitt knows what he is doing.
If CJP were to be completely honest and most feel he is, he is mostly a defensive coach. However we have Fulmer and Chaney both with many years experience. Add to the mix the case that UT's offense doesn't have a consistent, effective passer and run blocking gets taken to a higher level when you add 3 LBers and a strong safety at times stuffing the run game. The best Oline coach in the country couldn't do much better given the circumstances.

I've been surprised at how Friends coaching abilities have improved since blue chip players have arrived. I don't know how he's done it, but he is.

Some could say it was JC focusing on the OL nut nonetheless, better players make it easier.

Things might get more interesting. It appears we could lose more coaches besides David Johnson.

From Midday 180: “I anticipate more changes than just the running back coach off of this offensive staff for Tennessee.”- Doug Mathews

Who's next? Hard to see Chaney leaving. Tee just turned down Ole Miss. Friend is tight with Pruitt. Niedermeyer, there are the rumors about Texas A&M. Weinke maybe?

Jim Chaney - Offensive Coordinator
Tee Martin - Assistant Head Coach/Passing Game Coordinator/Wide Receivers
Will Friend - Offensive Line
Brian Niedermeyer - Tight Ends
Chris Weinke - Quarterbacks

giphy.gif

For those who were hoping we would get Tosh Lupoi if a spot opens up on defensive staff... Appears he has officially joined the Atlanta Falcons as D-LINE coach / Run Game Coordinator.

Any insight as to the RB coach search?

As far as existing coaches that may leave, I'm not sure that anyone is leaving as pretty much all HC opening have been filled with staffs complete except Baylor and Ole Miss. Tee turned down the OC position in Oxford to stay at UT. Weinke may be considered of OC at Baylor and Ole Miss or a position with an NFL team, either QB coach or possibly an OC.

At this time I really don't see anyone voluntarily leaving for another position that is a promotion UNLESS a contract isn't not renewed or extended.

GBO

Last edited:

VN Store

Back