Mike Leach to Miss. St.

I’m a fan of Leach.

If nothing else, the SEC just got more fun.

The Egg Bowl will be must-see TV.
Do you think he'll be successful there? I just don't see it. His teams will look like the Hal Mumme teams at Ky years ago at best I feel.

Reactions: AM64
SEC is finally getting interesting again.
UT and UF coming on strong in the East, Alabama not dominating the West this year,
And next year Leach AND Kiffin in Mississippi!!!

If he can tap back into the Dallas TX area for recruits and get some underrated guys out Miss and Louisiana then he'll be cooking!

The dude knows offense and only Bama or LSU will have athletes on defense to consistently defend against it...imo

Gonna be interesting to see how that works out.
He does know offense.

But outside Arkansas, he's not going to out recruit anyone else in the west and he'll be substantially behind Bama, LSU, AU and A&M.
From a conference standpoint he's not ever going to field more talent than UGA, UF or UT in the east either.

He has done well at 2 non pedigree schools (State will be the same) and while he may be able to get some guys he couldn't get to Pullman, Wa. or Lubbock, Tx he's not playing in either of those conferences anymore either.

I think he's a good coach but that's not an easy job in that division.

Do you think he'll be successful there? I just don't see it. His teams will look like the Hal Mumme teams at Ky years ago at best I feel.
Depends on how you define success.

If he's expected to compete for the division more often than not or win the league at some point then no, I don't think he'll be successful.

Can he win 7 or 8 more often than not? Compete for the division when the stars are aligned? Win his fair share against Kiffin? Possibly.

Mullen was considered a success and would still be coaching there with a 33-39 conference record.

The cultural fit will be interesting to watch.

He has a .600 winning pct all while coaching in 2 of the weakest defensive conferences and he's a very mediocre recruiter. His teams are soft physically and his liberal style will not fit well down in MS. I just don't see this as a very good hire and I believe Kiffin will dominate him in recruiting the state. I expect them to finish dead last in the West next season.

Are the Razorbacks getting kicked out of the SEC next year? If not, then no way State finishes behind that steaming pile

If success is 7-5, occasional 9-3 type seasons and some exciting, fun football, yes. If success is winning the SEC or more, no.

I think he’ll keep things interesting and fun, but I don’t think he’ll win titles there. However, he may have that random season where things click and he’ll have them in contention. I can say this, he’ll have QBs and WRs lining up to play for him.

He’s never been a great recruiter or had very good defenses. I think he is a entertaining coach and I like his offensive scheme. If nothing else his pressers should be very fun to watch.
2020 Egg Bowl: Joey Freshwater and the Pirate, that should be fun!

Last edited:
Reactions: AM64 and Remy
If success is 7-5, occasional 9-3 type seasons and some exciting, fun football, yes. If success is winning the SEC or more, no.

I think he’ll keep things interesting and fun, but I don’t think he’ll win titles there. However, he may have that random season where things click and he’ll have them in contention. I can say this, he’ll have QBs and WRs lining up to play for him.
I agree with this. He should be competitive against the lower half of the SEC-west and his out of conference opponents (~7 wins). But, it is hard to see how he will be successful against the better defensive teams - AU, UA, LSU.

no telling how this will turn out, but yes, it should be interesting..he better hit the ground running on his 'cruiting thang...

GO BIG ORANGE!

Reactions: tbh
If he can tap back into the Dallas TX area for recruits and get some underrated guys out Miss and Louisiana then he'll be cooking!

The dude knows offense and only Bama or LSU will have athletes on defense to consistently defend against it...imo
Don’t forget the UT defense.

Are the Razorbacks getting kicked out of the SEC next year? If not, then no way State finishes behind that steaming pile
I agree. Unless Briles and Odom can work unprecedented miracles (which I don't think they can) I see them struggling for several more years.

If Leach wants a good DC , he might want to keep Shoop , That would be better than any DC he has come up with in the past

If he wants to start off his tenure at Mississippi St right he fires Shoop immediately. The guy is simply overrated and isn’t anything close to good. If they’re serious about football they can do much better

VN Store

Back