Vacation Ideas

GVF

Talk Dirty To Me
Ok travel buffs. April of 2021 will be our 20th anniversary. My wife is giving me a pretty good heads up that she expects to go somewhere that requires a plane. I immediately thought of a little Cessna flight to Chattanooga, but quickly decided to keep my mouth shut. Because of when we got married, opening weekend of ball season and she had a son playing, we never really had a honeymoon. And life has passed quickly with a quick addition of another son of our own. And he's a ball player as well and eats up the spring. So, we've never really had any kind of anniversary trip as well. Keeping in mind we will be on a budget, what have my fellow VN posters done for affordable getaways to nice places. I am open to the Carribbean, West Coast, Northeast, etc. I'm Ok not staying in the hotspots, as long as it fits the bill. Any undiscovered spots that are still affordable are also welcomed as suggestions.

How long of a trip, what do you like to do together, what's the budget?

Prob atleast a 4 night stay. More than likely will have to use spring break time. Not sure of budget quite yet, but I'd imagine any trip with air fare and four nights will easily hit $2K to whatever you want to spend, plus spending money. Cheap as possible, but nice. We have obligations we are working hard to eliminate the next 12 months, so putting away a good chunk won't be easy.

Prob atleast a 4 night stay. More than likely will have to use spring break time. Not sure of budget quite yet, but I'd imagine any trip with air fare and four nights will easily hit $2K to whatever you want to spend, plus spending money. Cheap as possible, but nice. We have obligations we are working hard to eliminate the next 12 months, so putting away a good chunk won't be easy.

Look into cruises. 2 people can easily do a 4 night cruise for under 2 grand.

Gotcha.

Well, there are endless possibilities of course. Before anything else, don't forget this....what you don't do on this trip doesn't matter.

New Orleans is ah-mazing!! It's a fun place even if the only thing you do is walk around, or drive around, and just experience the place.

New York (this is on our list). You could fly up, plan ahead and go to a recording of a tv show, pick a couple famous eateries and go there, Statue of Liberty, that kind of stuff. You could do the same kind of trip to Boston too. I don't know where all you've been or what you want to experience.

A cruise could be an option. Lots of ports to experience and there is one for every budget.

Reactions: LittleVol
NYC is crazy, too crowded for my liking not terrible expensive. There are some spots that are a must see though, Ellis Island, Statue of Liberty among others. A lot of scams so if you go be careful.

One of our best trips was flying to Seattle, staying a couple of days renting a car and driving to Vancouver for a few days. We loved Vancouver.

My wife and I are looking at something new for our 20 year coming up so good luck with your search.

My wife and I went to Disney sans kids for the first time since before my daughter was born (20 years ago). We had a blast. It was during Epcot’s food and wine fest. Of course you have to like that kind of stuff, and we do. Adulting at Disney is fun.

Saw this earlier and my suggestion would probably be out of your price range. I took the wife on a river cruise in Europe for our 10th and she loved it. Set me back a few bucks tho but she's worth every penny.

For just a relaxing time at the beach, I'd suggest Fort Walton Beach or Destin. If you like the outdoors, maybe Breckenridge or Steamboat Springs in Colorado. Neither one of those will break the bank and there is plenty to see and do.

Reactions: DocVOLiday
NYC and Boston are both fun and cheap to get to. Expensive to stay in both though.
Flying into Seattle or Portland and getting a car and driving along the coast up there is pretty fun. Are you wanting to get out and see stuff or kick back and relax?

Volly mentioned New Orleans. If you are into music, the Jazz fest is awesome.

NY is always a good time, but hotels in Manhattan can get pricey.

If you haven't been on one before, a cruise can be an awesome experience. There are countless entertainment options, usually a lively/fun-seeking crowd, endless good food, you can explore several destinations at your port days, and there's just something magical about being in the middle of a vast ocean.

All-inclusive resorts are another no-stress, incredible option. My experiences have been in the Caribbean islands, but I understand there are great deals to be found in Mexico and the Dominican Republic. Sandals is probably the most popular chain for couples, but there are many other options.

A little more guidance, perhaps? Have you guys done anything like this before? Does anything seem more exciting?

I've been to several all inclusive resorts around the Jamaica, Mexico, DR, etc. You can pull that off for less than $2K. Great wife points if she's into beaches, etc.

I personally travel to amusement parks all across the country. I'm a coaster junkie. I could provide help on that if ever interested.

Vegas is another option in your budget if you can keep the gambling down.

Travelzoo is one of the better sites that can find some good deals on all inclusive and tour company trips.

Last edited:
Key West? We're going for my wife's 50th in early March. We got an airbnb on the beach and have no plans at all except to relax.

Reactions: Kinger
NYC is crazy, too crowded for my liking not terrible expensive. There are some spots that are a must see though, Ellis Island, Statue of Liberty among others. A lot of scams so if you go be careful.

One of our best trips was flying to Seattle, staying a couple of days renting a car and driving to Vancouver for a few days. We loved Vancouver.

My wife and I are looking at something new for our 20 year coming up so good luck with your search.

We went to Oregon and Washington a couple years ago, that was a really inexpensive trip since we did a lot of hiking, but that area is awesome. I am really wanting to go back to see more, but we just have other new places to check out each year so it will just be on the wait list.

Reactions: volfanjustin
We went to Oregon and Washington a couple years ago, that was a really inexpensive trip since we did a lot of hiking, but that area is awesome. I am really wanting to go back to see more, but we just have other new places to check out each year so it will just be on the wait list.
Never been to Oregon, it's on the list though.

A few tidbits. I travelled a lot while younger. I've been to atleast 30 plus states, the UK, Calais France, Phillipines. We were no where near wealthy, but we had a pop-up camper, and always attended a church family camp for a week in June followed by another week of vacation camping excursions if dad had that much time off. Or, in the case of the UK, he had a business trip at Cambridge as part of his new position with UGA Extension Service, so we went a week early, travelled England, Scotland, Wales, and Calais and came home for school while he stayed behind. Rented a caravan, and ate local pubs and stuff. We were of Scottish decent around Loch Ness area, so he wanted us to experience that as well. Scotland was by far my favorite. That job is also how I got to the Phillipines for two summers. Their participation in his program he headed required he live there for two years and being a dependent in college still I got free flights. I was also never against KOA campgrounds, my golf clubs, and a backpacking tent, or calling on friends in the area as I pretty much knew someone everywhere I went. She's not one comfy doing that.

Now, my wife on the other hand is a hotel person. She would probably only camp in a decent camper with amenities. She's not a roughing it or on the real cheap type of person. And has travelled very little outside of summer trips to Myrtle or FL. She's from Louisiana and don't think she's ever been back to New Orleans. She was born an hour SW of there and they moved when she was 7. She also has a fascination with the wine country and Half Moon Bay, so I will be exploring that. I liked San Diego as far as Cali goes, but Northern Cali and the Pacific NW has eluded me, so those are nice suggestions.

So, my ideas right now include must see domestic trips to maybe the Wine Country & HMB, or Seattle area/Vancouver areas, New Orleans, or Carribbean. I'm sure with some effort you can do a pretty affordable trip to one of those not so commercialized Carribean spots. I also loved Montana, so one of the Colroado/Wyoming trips might come into play. The USVI's are attractive for not needing a passport, but I'm sure they are a quite more expensive than other locales. My niece flies for AA, but sometimes those passes are more trouble for not knowing when you'll get on or get bumped.

Thanks for the ideas. Keep 'em coming.

Key West? We're going for my wife's 50th in early March. We got an airbnb on the beach and have no plans at all except to relax.

Key West also sounds interesting. Was on a job in Miami with some downtime and made it as far as end of Key Largo I think.

Reactions: vollygirl
Is Cancun/Cozumel still relatively safe. Or other Mexico destinations that would be safe and better than Cancun.

I'd definitely go to NYC if I have never been. You can stay in Jersey and take the train over or bus over onto Manhattan. It's not something you are gonna figure out in a trip two but after several trips you can do it on a budget. Actually a ton of things to do free. Ride the ferry free go by Statue of Liberty, go to Battery Park see Statue of Liberty, go to Times Square hang out, the subways are cheap to ride just know what your doing. Some of the buses may take you somewhere but may not be able to bring you back if route stops a certain time. A lot of things to need to buy or make plans in advance, The 911 Memorial, etc.. Walking through Central Park is really nice and there are a ton of street performers, group street performers as well. But I'd go with somebody that's been thee before my first time. And be prepared to walk at a fast pace.

Reactions: Go aeiou

VN Store

Back