Game Thread: #23/24 TENNESSEE AT OLE MISS

Coach Jumper

I can be there tomorrow
260066_20190801_WB_Photoday_B_AF_007.jpg

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- No. 23/24 Tennessee (11-3, 1-1 SEC) plays its second straight game on the road, as it travels to Oxford, Mississippi, to face the Rebels (7-8, 0-2 SEC) in a 7 p.m. CT (8 ET) contest on Thursday at The Pavilion at Ole Miss.
(I have been pasting most of the information from the Lady Vols website…I thought my G-threads may be getting too wordy for most so I just pasted what was most pertinent from the LV website and added the bottom Vn section)

Ole Miss is coming off a 79-35 defeat at the hands of No. 10/12 Texas A&M on Monday night in College Station. The Rebels, who started the season 5-2, have dropped two in a row and six of their last eight contests. The other Ole Miss loss in Southeastern Conference play came at home vs. Georgia, but it was a competitive battle that ended with the Bulldogs prevailing, 58-51.

Following Thursday night's match-up, Tennessee has a Sunday home matinee vs. Georgia (1 p.m. ET/SEC Network). The Rebels, meanwhile, head to Baton Rouge, La., for a 2 p.m. CT contest on Sunday at LSU on SECN+.

RECAPPING OUR LAST GAME
  • Rennia Davis turned in a 27-point performance, but it wasn't enough to pull off the upset bid over No. 13/13 Kentucky as the No. 22/23 Lady Vols fell in Memorial Gymnasium in Lexington on Sunday, 80-76.
  • Also in double figures for Tennessee (11-3, 1-1 SEC) were sophomore Rae Burrell, who finished with 16 points and six rebounds, and freshman Jordan Horston, who posted 13 points and a career-high nine assists.

NOTES FROM THE LAST GAME
    • Burrell's Ballin': Sophomore Rae Burrell set a new SEC high of 16 points against Kentucky, marking the third time in the last four contests she has scored 10 or more points. She is now the team's second-leading scorer, averaging 10.9 points per game.
    • Strong At The Free Throw Line: The Lady Vols hit their second-most free throws and knocked them down at the second-highest percentage all season vs. Kentucky. Tennessee finished the day 17 of 21 at the charity stripe for 81 percent. The team had entered the contest shooting 61.9 percent for the year.

TENNESSEE, STATISTICALLY SPEAKING
    • UT ranks in the top 10 nationally in eight statistical categories, including No. 1 in rebound margin (15.8); No. 2 in blocked shots (96), defensive rebounds per game (33.6), field goal percentage defense (30.7)and rebounds per game (50.79); No. 3 in blocked shots per game (6.9) and rebounds (711); and No. 6 in offensive rebounds per game (17.1).
    • UT is tops in the SEC in eight categories, including assists (248), assists per game (17.7), defensive rebounds per game (33.6), field goal percentage defense (30.7), offensive rebounds per game (17.1), rebound margin (15.8), rebounds (711) and rebounds per game (50.79).
    • Individually, Jazmine Massengill ranks ninth in the nation in assist-to-turnover ratio and No. 1 in the SEC at 2.19 to 1.

UT-OLE MISS SERIES NOTES
    • The Big Orange had been unable to reach 70 points in six of its last seven trips to Oxford until rolling up 81 in last season's victory at The Pavilion at Ole Miss.
    • The Lady Vols have won 18 straight over the Rebels in Knoxville, with the last Ole Miss victory (69-65) coming on Jan. 31, 1987, in Stokely Athletics Center.
    • UT Head Coach Kellie Harper is 1-0 vs. Ole Miss as a head coach. Harper took Missouri State to Oxford on Nov. 19, 2015, and came away with a 91-78 victory over the (then) Matt Insell-coached Rebels

ABOUT OLE MISS
  • The Rebels returned one starter and four total letterwinners from last season's squad that went 9-22 overall and 3-13 in the SEC (12th).

• Ole Miss is led by 5-8 redshirt junior guard Deja Cage, a transfer from DePaul, who averages 13.2 ppg., and junior college transfer Valerie Nesbitt, a 5-8 guard who is tallying 11.3 ppg.
VolNation:

• Ole Miss fell on the road at No. 10/12 Texas A&M, 79-35, at Reed Arena on Monday night.
  • The Aggies (14-1, 2-0 SEC) led wire-to-wire, using an 11-0 run to separate in the first quarter.
  • Deja Cage led Ole Miss with 15 points
    The book on Ol Miss: Last win was against Ala State, who has a 4-9 record in the SWAC…Opened SEC play with 2 losses…2 double figure scorers: Cage (13.2) and Nesbitt(11.3)…Ole MIss averages 61 pts per game…They’ve made a total of Made 81 3 pointers(3’s;..they are 81 of 256 for 31.5% ,, We are 70 of 225 for 31%......Rebounding: Avg 36, give up 38 rebs per game

Coach Jumper’s prediction: UT 87 Ole Miss 55 ( Final score was UT 77 OM 66)

Last edited:

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- No. 23/24 Tennessee (11-3, 1-1 SEC) plays its second straight game on the road, as it travels to Oxford, Mississippi, to face the Rebels (7-8, 0-2 SEC) in a 7 p.m. CT (8 ET) contest on Thursday at The Pavilion at Ole Miss.
(I have been pasting most of the information from the Lady Vols website…I thought my G-threads may be getting too wordy for most so I just pasted what was most pertinent)

Ole Miss is coming off a 79-35 defeat at the hands of No. 10/12 Texas A&M on Monday night in College Station. The Rebels, who started the season 5-2, have dropped two in a row and six of their last eight contests. The other Ole Miss loss in Southeastern Conference play came at home vs. Georgia, but it was a competitive battle that ended with the Bulldogs prevailing, 58-51.

Following Thursday night's match-up, Tennessee has a Sunday home matinee vs. Georgia (1 p.m. ET/SEC Network). The Rebels, meanwhile, head to Baton Rouge, La., for a 2 p.m. CT contest on Sunday at LSU on SECN+.

RECAPPING OUR LAST GAME
  • Rennia Davis turned in a 27-point performance, but it wasn't enough to pull off the upset bid over No. 13/13 Kentucky as the No. 22/23 Lady Vols fell in Memorial Gymnasium in Lexington on Sunday, 80-76.
  • Also in double figures for Tennessee (11-3, 1-1 SEC) were sophomore Rae Burrell, who finished with 16 points and six rebounds, and freshman Jordan Horston, who posted 13 points and a career-high nine assists.

NOTES FROM THE LAST GAME
    • Burrell's Ballin': Sophomore Rae Burrell set a new SEC high of 16 points against Kentucky, marking the third time in the last four contests she has scored 10 or more points. She is now the team's second-leading scorer, averaging 10.9 points per game.
    • Strong At The Free Throw Line: The Lady Vols hit their second-most free throws and knocked them down at the second-highest percentage all season vs. Kentucky. Tennessee finished the day 17 of 21 at the charity stripe for 81 percent. The team had entered the contest shooting 61.9 percent for the year.

• UT ranks in the top 10 nationally in eight statistical categories, including No. 1 in rebound margin (15.8); No. 2 in blocked shots (96), defensive rebounds per game (33.6), field goal percentage defense (30.7)and rebounds per game (50.79); No. 3 in blocked shots per game (6.9) and rebounds (711); and No. 6 in offensive rebounds per game (17.1).
    • UT is tops in the SEC in eight categories, including assists (248), assists per game (17.7), defensive rebounds per game (33.6), field goal percentage defense (30.7), offensive rebounds per game (17.1), rebound margin (15.8), rebounds (711) and rebounds per game (50.79).
    • Individually, Jazmine Massengill ranks ninth in the nation in assist-to-turnover ratio and No. 1 in the SEC at 2.19 to 1.

UT-OLE MISS SERIES NOTES
    • The Big Orange had been unable to reach 70 points in six of its last seven trips to Oxford until rolling up 81 in last season's victory at The Pavilion at Ole Miss.
    • The Lady Vols have won 18 straight over the Rebels in Knoxville, with the last Ole Miss victory (69-65) coming on Jan. 31, 1987, in Stokely Athletics Center.
    • UT Head Coach Kellie Harper is 1-0 vs. Ole Miss as a head coach. Harper took Missouri State to Oxford on Nov. 19, 2015, and came away with a 91-78 victory over the (then) Matt Insell-coached Rebels

ABOUT OLE MISS
  • The Rebels returned one starter and four total letterwinners from last season's squad that went 9-22 overall and 3-13 in the SEC (12th).

• Ole Miss is led by 5-8 redshirt junior guard Deja Cage, a transfer from DePaul, who averages 13.2 ppg., and junior college transfer Valerie Nesbitt, a 5-8 guard who is tallying 11.3 ppg.
VolNation:

• Ole Miss fell on the road at No. 10/12 Texas A&M, 79-35, at Reed Arena on Monday night.
  • The Aggies (14-1, 2-0 SEC) led wire-to-wire, using an 11-0 run to separate in the first quarter.
    The book on Ol Miss: Last win was against Ala State, who has a 4-9 record in the SWAC…Opened SEC play with 2 losses…2 double figure scorers: Cage (13.2) and Nesbitt(11.3)…Ole MIss averages 61 pts per game…They’ve made a total of Made 81 3 pointers(3’s;..they are 81 of 256 for 31.5% ,, We are 70 of 225 for 31%......Rebounding: Avg 36, give up 38 rebs per game

Coach Jumper’s prediction: UT 87 Ole Miss 55
Why not a separate thread devoted to the opposition each week? I’ve had several people say they like the in-depth info you research and post on the other team. People can read the thread or not; I would probably only skim, but I know some who would read it in detail. I can understand the desire to know about our upcoming opponent, strengths, weaknesses, strategies, etc. Some on board are a lot more technical and knowledgeable about bball than I am.

Tennessee will curb-stomp Ole Miss. I think CJ's projected margin of victory is close, but would guess that both teams score less.

Why not a separate thread devoted to the opposition each week? I’ve had several people say they like the in-depth info you research and post on the other team. People can read the thread or not; I would probably only skim, but I know some who would read it in detail. I can understand the desire to know about our upcoming opponent, strengths, weaknesses, strategies, etc. Some on board are a lot more technical and knowledgeable about bball than I am.

Thanks SVm I guess I was getting the feeling that more posters on this site were starting to get enough of Coach Jumper...Those against you are often much louder, than those with you.

Thanks for your encouraging words

Thanks SVm I guess I was getting the feeling that more posters on this site were starting to get enough of Coach Jumper...Those against you are often much louder, than those with you.

Thanks for your encouraging words
Totally with you Coach but don't want to keep arguing back and forth with a few people that are always negative or at least 90 percent of the time. I think you have far more with you than against and your right the ones against usually have the most to say.

Next year Ole Miss will have at least one five star player they have a five star committed which doesn't happen often for them.

Reactions: RollerVol
Tennessee will curb-stomp Ole Miss. I think CJ's projected margin of victory is close, but would guess that both teams score less.

I started out higher,,,started rethinking and just got to the point where I felt both of them were at

I think I'll keep the new format of condensing the copied/pasted info from the LV page and do a little more first-hand research like reviewing them on film and doing last three game capsules ... kinda find a happy medium
The LV info is on their website anyway, but I like to pick out the tidbits that I find pertinent or interesting

GA plays Vandy on SECN tomorrow...think I'll take a look at them,,

Yea Holly, that is what you said against Bama.
Bama was not terrible last year. Ole Miss was, and even a mediocre Tennessee team crushed then twice. And they are even worse this year.

Tennessee may not have proven themselves yet, but Ole Miss this season is nothing more than a cupcake that happens to be in th SEC.

Bama was not terrible last year. Ole Miss was, and even a mediocre Tennessee team crushed then twice. And they are even worse this year.

Tennessee may not have proven themselves yet, but Ole Miss this season is nothing more than a cupcake that happens to be in th SEC.

7-8 Ole Miss won't tell us as much as the following 3 games will tell us:
10-5 GA's
10-5 Florida
10-5 Alabama
(all playing tomorrow)
temp.jpg

7-8 Ole Miss won't tell us as much as the following 3 games will tell us:
10-5 GA's
10-5 Florida
10-5 Alabama
(all playing tomorrow)
View attachment 252832
It's the stretch in between the two Vandy games that worries me. I believe they have MSST, @SC, TAMU, @ARK and @lsu. That will tell alot about the team. There's no shame in losing to the first 3, but I hope they go no worse than 2-3 in this stretch.

The only thing about this game is that were a terrible road team, but should still be able to beat Ole Miss without to much drama. They did give Georgia a really good game losing by seven at home and then Georgia at home only lost to Mississippi State by 7. So the point being if we go in and commit 20 plus stupid turnovers we could keep them in the game like we did Kentucky. Regardless of what Kentucky did on offense or how many the one girl scored and their 13 threes if we don't commit 21 turnovers we still win the game so that is how we could keep Ole Miss in a game at their place by playing really careless basketball like we did at Kentucky.

I so agree Volfan....

The only thing that drives me more nuts than missed lay ups, and 3 footers, is needless turnovers....They are lost scoring opportunities, that can mean the difference between a win, or another dumb loss.

How many times will Horston play fullback, and charge into a stationary defender tonight? She has driven me insane with her lack of basketball common sense to what constitutes a charge.

I'll set the line at 2 for her charges......Over or under, take a shot.

Last edited:
I so agree Volfan....

The only thing that drives me more nuts than missed lay ups, and 3 footers, is needless turnovers....They are lost scoring opportunities, that can mean the difference between a win, or another dumb loss.

How many times will Horston play fullback, and charge into a stationary defender tonight? She has driven me insane with her lack of basketball common sense to what constitutes a charge.

I'll set the lane at 2 for her charges......Over or under, take a shot.
Playing school yard basketball is the reason why Horston (and Burrell) charge into stationary defenders. This problem can be corrected with good coaching.

(I have been pasting most of the information from the Lady Vols website…I thought my G-threads may be getting too wordy for most so I just pasted what was most pertinent)

RECAPPING OUR LAST GAME

NOTES FROM THE LAST GAME

UT-OLE MISS SERIES NOTES

ABOUT OLE MISS

VolNation:

Coach Jumper’s prediction: UT 87 Ole Miss 55
I hope the final score is close to your prediction, Coach Jumper, If not, we are in serious trouble.

Playing school yard basketball is the reason why Horston (and Burrell) charge into stationary defenders. This problem can be corrected with good coaching.

Count on it...87-55 or there abouts

Consider the prognosis for Jordan,,,,Then consider playing against her

Wisdom comes from age and experience
Athleticism and ability like hers, comes from God

Burrell is trying so hard to impress that she is forcing things initially
She will let the game come to her once she appreciates the fact that she is both needed and appreciated
Most on this board talk of her needing to be a starter (myself included)...But if she is moved to starter, it would need to be for another spark plug because a coach needs a goto player on the bench

Burrell is not a one dimensional player, she shoots, defends, drives and handles the ball
To replace her with anything but another equally versatile contributor just may not fit into the plans.

Right Now!

Last edited:

VN Store

Back