'20 DE Quincy Roche (Grad Transfer)

Irrelevant. UF got a ton of its sacks against crap teams. Bama pads it’s stats against crappy teams.
Irrelevant to our ranking but not irrelevant to determine if we are productive against the elites. We avg about 1 per game vs Georgia, Florida and Alabama and 3 per game against the other 10 games. It tells me could use Roche immediately next year.

How bout 21 sacks against sec opponents. 2.63 per game in sec play. Which is what's really important. And at least 2 against everyone but Georgia.
True to some extent but we need Roche and development from the current roster to compete with the 4 teams next year.

Looking at the big picture here Pruitts system is by far the most complex we’ve run at Tennessee. These guys may have taken some time to get it down but they’re coming around. Defense at Tennessee should be really fun to watch in the coming years
I just hope we are not a Muschamp like team, all D and no O.

True to some extent but we need Roche and development from the current roster to compete with the 4 teams next year.
Well yeah, we always need to bring in good players and develop them. You don't need to manufacture ways to spin our impressive sack production this season into a negative to make that point though. We all know this was accomplished without many high profile edge rushers that would certainly have made it even better. We also were only 2 picks away from being tied for first in interceptions. One area where we were lacking though, and generally this is such a random stat that we will almost certainly regress naturally to the mean, is we finished dead last in defensive fumble recoveries with 4.

Reactions: gainesvol82
I just hope we are not a Muschamp like team, all D and no O.

Muschamp all but ignored offensive recruiting and tried to force a pro-style offense on a team laden with spread talent in a state that has a ton of spread offenses in high school. Then he flipped to spread in year 2 and didn't like it so he flipped back to pro style in year 3.

There are some parallels with how defense-heavy our recruiting has been for top-flight talent. But I think that's more this year as an outlier to address massive talent and talent-in-depth problems on the defense.

I think we, with 2021 and forward recruiting and with Chaney as OC... not going to be a Muschamp team by any measure.

Reactions: all_volz
Muschamp all but ignored offensive recruiting and tried to force a pro-style offense on a team laden with spread talent in a state that has a ton of spread offenses in high school. Then he flipped to spread in year 2 and didn't like it so he flipped back to pro style in year 3.

There are some parallels with how defense-heavy our recruiting has been for top-flight talent. But I think that's more this year as an outlier to address massive talent and talent-in-depth problems on the defense.

I think we, with 2021 and forward recruiting and with Chaney as OC... not going to be a Muschamp team by any measure.
yeah, that's the difference, Muschamp never hired anyone like Chaney that could just go run it, and had built in credibility. if for no other reason, that's why i think it'll ultimately look different than the muschamp model.

but defense first, i've no problem with that.

Pass rushing woes? We finished 3rd in the SEC in sacks. More than Alabama and Georgia.
Only 34 in 13 games, about 2.5 per game. Nearly 1/3 came from LBs and DBs. We had a lot of trouble getting to the quarterback without bringing some sort of exotic blitz. Taylor was our leading sack guy, but once again he was very consistent, hit or miss.

Come on now, anybody watching this team in 2019 knows a stud rusher who could consistently pressure and get to the QB was an issue, no matter where we finished ranked in the SEC.

Also, just a few other teams who had more sacks than Tennessee this year.....SMU, Baylor, Temple, Buffalo, Cal, Duke and Charlotte.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Only 34 in 13 games, about 2.5 per game. Nearly 1/3 came from LBs and DBs. We had a lot of trouble getting to the quarterback without bringing some sort of exotic blitz. Taylor was our leading sack guy, but once again he was very consistent, hit or miss.

Come on now, anybody watching this team in 2019 knows a stud rusher who could consistently pressure and get to the QB was an issue, no matter where we finished ranked in the SEC.

Also, just a few other teams who had more sacks than Tennessee this year.....SMU, Baylor, Temple, Buffalo, Cal, Duke and Charlotte.

Yet we had more than UGA and Bama. Clemson only had 7 more and LSU only had 1 more than we did. The teams you mentioned don’t play in the SEC.

Irrelevant to our ranking but not irrelevant to determine if we are productive against the elites. We avg about 1 per game vs Georgia, Florida and Alabama and 3 per game against the other 10 games. It tells me could use Roche immediately next year.

Clemson got 7 more total sacks and they don’t play anyone close to elites. Your argument fails. Sacks are sacks. Every team pads their sack stats.

That's how the 3-4 is designed. Have the linemen eat up blockers to open lanes for LBs and DBs.

Most of the sacks we had were from OLBs, some of those were OLBs lining up wide on the line. Roche would be a great addition on the edge but I'm not understanding your point.

The thing is we bring a ton of pressure to get sacks, which I like the play calling.

If we could be better at getting to the QB rushing 4 our defense will take the next step. Play calling will be off the charts and turnovers will sky rocket.

I thought we did pretty well generating pressure with the front 4 against Indiana. Also had some very well schemed blitzes.

If we can develop a DL anything close to Auburn's we will be absolutely ******* dominant on D.... we've already seen how well this staff coaches LB and DBs.

Reactions: Sleegro

25 of our 34 sacks came from OLB and DL. So closer to a quarter of our sacks came from ILB and DB, not a third. Blitzing and scheme definitely helped, but we were only 1 sack away from second in the SEC which I would consider pretty good. And 3/4ths of them came from where you'd want them to come from on the DL and OLB. Of course we need more elite pass rushers but I don't get why people are poo pooing what we did this year. It was impressive and hopefully will be better next year. And hopefully we get this guy too. I just don't know why you have to downgrade what we did to say we need more pass rushers. We always need more. Even if we finished 1st in sacks, you could say we need more pass rushers and everyone on the board would say, "yeah we do."

DB Sacks 5.5

Sham had 3
McCollough and Bryce had 1 each
AT had .5

ILB Sacks 3.5

Bituli 3
HT .5

DL Sacks 9.5

Butler 2.5
Emerson 2
Solomon 2
Bumphus 2
Middleton 1

OLB Sacks 15.5

D Taylor 8.5
Deandre 2.5
Bennett 2
Roman 2
QC .5

25 of our 34 sacks came from OLB and DL. So closer to a quarter of our sacks came from ILB and DB, not a third. Blitzing and scheme definitely helped, but we were only 1 sack away from second in the SEC which I would consider pretty good. And 3/4ths of them came from where you'd want them to come from on the DL and OLB. Of course we need more elite pass rushers but I don't get why people are poo pooing what we did this year. It was impressive and hopefully will be better next year. And hopefully we get this guy too. I just don't know why you have to downgrade what we did to say we need more pass rushers. We always need more. Even if we finished 1st in sacks, you could say we need more pass rushers and everyone on the board would say, "yeah we do."

DB Sacks 5.5

Sham had 3
McCollough and Bryce had 1 each
AT had .5

ILB Sacks 3.5

Bituli 3
HT .5

DL Sacks 9.5

Butler 2.5
Emerson 2
Solomon 2
Bumphus 2
Middleton 1

OLB Sacks 15.5

D Taylor 8.5
Deandre 2.5
Bennett 2
Roman 2
QC .5
we talked about this yesterday, but it matters to this conversation...i think you have to give a lot of credit to the coaches for this...look at how many folks were involved in pass rushing this season? that's freaking awesome.

how'd you like to be the QB or OL going up against us...you literally have no idea who's coming or when or where from.

we manufactured a great pass rush w/out having any truly ELITE pass rushers.

i call it good scheming and game planning.

and this doesn't even count the run blitzing we did.....

we talked about this yesterday, but it matters to this conversation...i think you have to give a lot of credit to the coaches for this...look at how many folks were involved in pass rushing this season? that's freaking awesome.

how'd you like to be the QB or OL going up against us...you literally have no idea who's coming or when or where from.

I totally agree. And can't wait to see what it looks like next year. And definitely hope we add some elite pass rushers. But what we did was impressive. The coaches deserve a ton of credit. But so do the players.

I totally agree. And can't wait to see what it looks like next year. And definitely hope we add some elite pass rushers. But what we did was impressive. The coaches deserve a ton of credit. But so do the players.
oh, that goes w/out saying. agreed.

Reactions: Sleegro

I absolutely love how we run blitz with our DBs off the edge and funnel the play to the interior.

I can't think of one game this year where I felt like we really got beat up on the ground by a RB....maybe UGA and Bama were closest and we held our own in both games.

I absolutely love how we run blitz with our DBs off the edge and funnel the play to the interior.

I can't think of one game this year where I felt like we really got beat up on the ground by a RB....maybe UGA and Bama were closest and we held our own in both games.
We were 5th in the SEC in rush yards per carry given up at 3.7 per carry. And 4th in passing yards given up per game.

I believe we competed well down the stretch because our defense was strong, allowing an offense with consistency issues to be good enough.

Reactions: gainesvol82
I’ve flipped my opinion and now I think there’s no way he’s coming here. Just way too much talent on the roster. And looking at the numbers I see the staff can generate sacks. I know they’d love to do the pass rush with just four, but those corner blitzes sure are fun to watch—and more fun to actually play.

VN Store

Back