Lady Vols - 21 Turnovers (Kentucky 28 Points off Turnovers)

I understand she was hurt early on but she has been healthy for a few games now Jaiden McCoy she needs to play much better. Right now to me she has been a disappointment.

Reactions: mytenn
Love our Lady Vols, but I cannot understand how any player can make the lazy, ridiculous passes our girls make routinely.

They either have bad eyesight, or they are simply too lazy to make crisp passes. They can be looking at our player with an opposing player right beside them, and then go ahead and make a lazy pass right into the hands of the opponent.

We could have had a beatdown of Ky, except we seemed to try to give the game away time and after time with those stupid passes.

And combine that with us basically standing and watching opposing players shoot open 3's is a mystery.

We have a better team than Ky, but we simply did not play smart at all.

Maybe better individual players,,, not a better team.

I understand she was hurt early on but she has been healthy for a few games now Jaiden McCoy she needs to play much better. Right now to me she has been a disappointment.

I don’t think we’re going to get much out of her. I’ll also be shocked if she’s back next season. I suspect she’ll medically retire for some reason or another. Or just plain quit basketball. Maybe she’ll surprise me though.

She looks like she could be a tough player for us, but she plays soft anytime she’s on the floor and she seems to be a never ending injury. Always something. First a leg problem, then a hand problem, then she was sick, glasses on for a game, then glasses off, then back to glasses. I really don’t think she’s going to give us any meaningful playing time this season and I think KJH knows that.

Not a shocker how she’s bounced around in her career. To be 6’3” with that frame and managing less than 2 rebounds against pretty crappy teams? Not gonna do it. She just isn’t an SEC caliber player.

Talent? Where? They can't hit a layup to save their asses. Not much better at anything else. If the talent is there... it's being severely underdeveloped.

I don’t think we’re going to get much out of her. I’ll also be shocked if she’s back next season. I suspect she’ll medically retire for some reason or another. Or just plain quit basketball. Maybe she’ll surprise me though.

She looks like she could be a tough player for us, but she plays soft anytime she’s on the floor and she seems to be a never ending injury. Always something. First a leg problem, then a hand problem, then she was sick, glasses on for a game, then glasses off, then back to glasses. I really don’t think she’s going to give us any meaningful playing time this season and I think KJH knows that.

Not a shocker how she’s bounced around in her career. To be 6’3” with that frame and managing less than 2 rebounds against pretty crappy teams? Not gonna do it. She just isn’t an SEC caliber player.

I hear you and don`t disagree. Also what`s with KJH playing Harris away from the basket so much ? she is no threat to other teams that far away from the basket.

I hear you and don`t disagree. Also what`s with KJH playing Harris away from the basket so much ? she is no threat to other teams that far away from the basket.

I was wondering that too, I think she’s trying to pull her defender out of the paint. Teams have been clogging the lane against us and we can’t get our offense moving. By playing a big on the perimeter she can pull a large defender out of the paint and open driving lanes. That’s my only guess, because Cam sure as heck isn’t a threat from beyond 12-15 feet.

I was wondering that too, I think she’s trying to pull her defender out of the paint. Teams have been clogging the lane against us and we can’t get our offense moving. By playing a big on the perimeter she can pull a large defender out of the paint and open driving lanes. That’s my only guess, because Cam sure as heck isn’t a threat from beyond 12-15 feet.

Agree ! Also i think we push the ball when we don`t need to and that lead to turnovers. To note Lou needs to give the team more scoring 3 pts is just not gonna cut it. Don`t get me wrong she plays a lot of mins and if you are gonna play that many mins you need to score more to help the team. KK Also

Last edited:

She would prosper like at UT Chattanooga we have a few more that really need to be at that level.

Reactions: VolBall09
I went back and watched the game and did an informal count of the TOs. Of the 21 TOs, 7 were offensive fouls. That is players out of control.

Anecdotally, I'm almost convinced the Lady Vols lead the NCAA in offensive fouls. It seems to happen at least once or twice per game, and *feels* like it happens even more frequently than that. As far as I know there's no checking for that stat, as the NCAA doesn't have it listed, but goodness UT seems to have a thing for charging into people and forcing whistles. I don't know that it's just the Lady Vols; maybe it happens to a number of young players.

I've always suspected that a lot of these charges happen because when possessions broke down in high school, these players (being the best on the court) could just go in and find contact - but college is tougher and they aren't "rewarded" as frequently or as easily as they were with high school refs. At least, that's my attempt at rationalizing the phenomenon, because otherwise I cannot fully explain it.

Reactions: lvocd
Anecdotally, I'm almost convinced the Lady Vols lead the NCAA in offensive fouls. It seems to happen at least once or twice per game, and *feels* like it happens even more frequently than that. As far as I know there's no checking for that stat, as the NCAA doesn't have it listed, but goodness UT seems to have a thing for charging into people and forcing whistles. I don't know that it's just the Lady Vols; maybe it happens to a number of young players.

I've always suspected that a lot of these charges happen because when possessions broke down in high school, these players (being the best on the court) could just go in and find contact - but college is tougher and they aren't "rewarded" as frequently or as easily as they were with high school refs. At least, that's my attempt at rationalizing the phenomenon, because otherwise I cannot fully explain it.

We might be close and a lot of that is because teams PLAN to take a lot of charges against us. We are notorious for taking it hard to the basket so they set up and fall. It’s long past time for us to adjust to that tactic. Gotta work on the pull up and shoot or pull up and pass.

I have been hearing these talking heads saying this very same thing for a few years now. Yet the scoreboard don’t lie. Star ratings are for fans and lazy college coaches who actually only see a player play for a couple days in some showcase event in the summer.

Kehtucky has one leader that everybody on that team is following.
There isn't a star rating or rating of any kind that foresees a person like that.

We might be close and a lot of that is because teams PLAN to take a lot of charges against us. We are notorious for taking it hard to the basket so they set up and fall. It’s long past time for us to adjust to that tactic. Gotta work on the pull up and shoot or pull up and pass.

Yeah, even back in the early 80's with a middle school team of girls (most who had never played bb in an elem. feeder system), we had drills for this. You don't want to get players hurt (chairs are very effective deterrents to charging, but there are other ways using asst. coaches, managers, practice players, etc. with pads to help players learn to pull up and shoot or pass and stop or brush by instead of getting caught in the air.

Speaking of getting caught in the air, if another player picks up a dribble out front one-handed to make an overhead pass (leaving no option except turnover if opponent jumps the passing lane), I'd yank her and give her an earful if I were Kellie. Then again, they would actually listen to Kellie.

And the missed five-foot shots and layups continue to haunt us. On two consecutive possessions early, we missed from both sides of the lane, got the rebound on other end, came back down and missed again from the side and then missed a stickback (well, close shot) from in front of the rim.

And we still pick up our dribbles with no one around to come to the ball.

(Rant, rant, etc., etc.) :mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:
Reactions: VolBall09
Yeah, even back in the early 80's with a middle school team of girls (most who had never played bb in an elem. feeder system), we had drills for this. You don't want to get players hurt (chairs are very effective deterrents to charging, but there are other ways using asst. coaches, managers, practice players, etc. with pads to help players learn to pull up and shoot or pass and stop or brush by instead of getting caught in the air.

Speaking of getting caught in the air, if another player picks up a dribble out front one-handed to make an overhead pass (leaving no option except turnover if opponent jumps the passing lane), I'd yank her and give her an earful if I were Kellie. Then again, they would actually listen to Kellie.

And the missed five-foot shots and layups continue to haunt us. On two consecutive possessions early, we missed from both sides of the lane, got the rebound on other end, came back down and missed again from the side and then missed a stickback (well, close shot) from in front of the rim.

And we still pick up our dribbles with no one around to come to the ball.

(Rant, rant, etc., etc.) :mad::mad::mad:

All bad habits. I do truly feel like they have been less frequent this season, but old habits die hard. The one handed passes also bother me. That’s just poor fundamentals, it might look cool, but it’s not effective.

You don’t even see that often in the NBA. Very few elite players make the first pass lazy and one handed. The pass that initiates the offense is almost always a crisp, two handed, pass to one of the wings or to the post from the top of the key. The ball moves way faster, in a more direct path and to the appropriate target when thrown properly. It’s easy, just do it.

As for the missed shots, it is very irritating, but we are actually shooting an acceptable percentage at 44.8%. We’re also trending the right direction. That’s 39th nationally, could be better, but really it’s nothing to sneeze at. Even in the loss to Kentucky we shot 46% compared to Kentucky’s 40%. That’s been Consistent since the Stanford game. We’ve shot above 45% in every game since then. Bodes well for our offense going forward.

Kentucky unfortunately for us, shot 48% from 3 compared to our 27% lol.

Reactions: creekdipper

VN Store

Back