Game Thread: #22/23 TENNESSEE VS. MISSOURI

As well as LB played offensively, her lack of mobility on the defensive end sort of negated it. The announcers at one point actually pointed out how the Missouri team was exploiting the matchups with LB. unfortunately I don’t know how much improvement she can have based on her injuries. :(

Last edited:
As well as LB played offensively, her lack of mobility on the defensive end sort of negated it. The announcers at one point actually pointed how the Missouri team were exploiting the matchups with LB. unfortunately I do t know how much improvement she can have based on her injuries. :(
Yes her threes were big but she also had four turnovers and several defensive lapses. She can't defend as well as Burrell but she plays more under control although Burrell is much better at that than she used to be.

great to get their 1st sec win against a pretty scrappy opponent who always plays tennessee tough. im a bit concerned tho about their inconsistency on offense. i think this will hurt them against some of the better teams in the league..hopefully not to the extent we saw in the stanford game.

i noticed key had 0 turnovers on almost 30 mins of play and 16 points to boot..to me that is just awesomeness especially considering shes just a freshman

Key is coming along

As well as LB played offensively, her lack of mobility on the defensive end sort of negated it. The announcers at one point actually pointed how the Missouri team were exploiting the matchups with LB. unfortunately I do t know how much improvement she can have based on her injuries. :(

This is my only concern with her too...she has heart, smarts, but mobility is questionable

Reactions: stlvolsfan
Key is coming along

This is my only concern with her too...she has heart, smarts, but mobility is questionable

I was also thinking the same thing, Brown played well last night on the offensive end but defense with that brace ? I think now that we are getting into SEC play it might come down to the team we are playing if she will play alot ?. I notice in the Kentucky Game last night against SC sophomore Blair Green did not play much and she is a good player from what i was watching it was a match up problem.

I was also thinking the same thing, Brown played well last night on the offensive end but defense with that brace ? I think now that we are getting into SEC play it might come down to the team we are playing if she will play alot ?. I notice in the Kentucky Game last night against SC sophomore Blair Green did not play much and she is a good player from what i was watching it was a match up problem.

The brace has to interfere.
Heck I don't even like a compression sleeve on my knee much less a brace.

She hits the floor a lot
When you back the film up you can see why
I love the kid, honest...But ( hey, AL...)... If I were coaching against UT I'd go at her by taking advantage of defensive switches until I had a quick-guard on her and I'd beat her off the dribble all night. And on zone, I'd attack from her area or position with dribble-drives and dribble moves designed to draw fouls (triple-threat Jab-steps, double-crossovers, step-backs, contact layups, etc)

As I said, (((Lou, I love your spirit )))
It shows, both from inside of you and out side of you (In your drive), but as a coach I've got to to call it like I see it.

Now I'm not taking away from what Lou does contribute, leadership, good decisions and effort in all statistical categories
For instance last game: 9 pts 5 Rebs,,,but no blocks, steals or assists and 2 fouls and 4 turnovers

We have to use her to her strength and starting may be it...if she shoots/makes the 3 early it opens the floor because the defense has to be mindful of her. So being a starter, with KK or Rae on standby isn't such a bad thing

We just have to watch out for coaches who coach like,,, well,, me.

Reactions: stlvolsfan
the two alternative questions -if you accept that Rae is the 6th player "off bench" are 1) who is the other player more mobile and mature and 2) how valuable is she as a mature experienced player on the floor with a young cadre of players?

no disagreement with her liabilities, but IMP the team has other players who can and will be exploited on defense. Several years ago LSU had a similar player to Lou with an outside shot who gave teams significant defensive match-up problems and I would expect the LVs are aware of making her an offensive advantage.

the two alternative questions -if you accept that Rae is the 6th player "off bench" are 1) who is the other player more mobile and mature and 2) how valuable is she as a mature experienced player on the floor with a young cadre of players?

no disagreement with her liabilities, but IMP the team has other players who can and will be exploited on defense. Several years ago LSU had a similar player to Lou with an outside shot who gave teams significant defensive match-up problems and I would expect the LVs are aware of making her an offensive advantage.

Not really sure what you're asking or how to answer,,

I don't accept Rae as strictly a 6th man...
If it comes down to playing a contender and I have to play my top 5, Jordan, Jaz, Rae, Ren and Tamari start with KK as my 6th man
with subbing on a need basis for Kamera, Lou, Rennie, Emily, Jessie, Jaiden

Lou did shoot 3-4 on 3's and had 5 boards, so she contributes.
But if it comes down to foot-speed laterally or against a good BH'er,,,,
Like another poster said, it will come down to "team-matchups as to her value.
If she is guarding someone of equal size and speed,,I take Lou every time because her heart is undeniable...But if a team throws 3 quick guards and two mobile posts...

concerned....

Last edited:
Reactions: Nute Gunray

If it comes down to playing a contender and I have to play my top 5, Jordan, Jaz, Rae, Ren and Tamari start with KK as my 6th man

But if it comes down to foots-peed laterally or against a good BH'er,,,,
If she is guarding someone of equal size and speed,,I take Lou every time because her heart is undeniable...But if a team throws 3 quick guards and two mobile posts...

concerned....

Bingo ! i like your reply, That`s what i saw last night in the Kentucky Game Coach Mitchell try to play Green but she was at a disadvantage who do she defend ?

Hey! No playing favorites! :mad:

(Unless our youngest ozzy has been sneaking into the coaching offices and doctoring the depth chart). Plucky and pretty dardy!

Fair dinkum, I reckon you're just being a larrikin to the rest of us bogans, me ol' cobber.

Last edited:

But if it comes down to foot-speed laterally or against a good BH'er,,,,

concerned....
I agree with your analysis, Coach Jumper. Rae should be starting with KK as the 6th man. Rae reminds me of a former Maryland player, Alyssa Thomas. BTW, I think Jessie and Rennie are the same player.

Reactions: Coach Jumper
Watched again and I noticed that both Brown and Rennie are good team defenders. They operate well within the defense and understand when and where to help. Brown especially is excellent at helping the helper.

What’s funny is that neither of them are stellar one on one defenders, but they both make the defense better when they’re in the game. They make it really tough for opposing teams to get the look they want. A great quality.

I feel that team defense has really taken a backseat in basketball education the last several years. Everything is so focused on the individual performance.

Watched again and I noticed that both Brown and Rennie are good team defenders. They operate well within the defense and understand when and where to help. Brown especially is excellent at helping the helper.

What’s funny is that neither of them are stellar one on one defenders, but they both make the defense better when they’re in the game. They make it really tough for opposing teams to get the look they want. A great quality.

I feel that team defense has really taken a backseat in basketball education the last several years. Everything is so focused on the individual performance.

teaching zone has taken a backseat to teaching individual defensive skill
because
good man/defenders make great zone defenders,
however
great zone defenders make bad man defenders

Nice win. I did not watch however so commenting on this game does me no good. I have watched enough basketball and know you can hide a player some like Lou on d end but know that sometimes you may give up a basket for what other skill she brings.

Coach Jumper this question is for you. I have watched the Lady Vols for years through all their championship years. This year I have not watched as much since they our not on TV like they used to. Please give me your expertise f to what you see now and where this team ends up by year ends and if Zaye would have played all year what could this team have achieved?

I was at the game, and I was getting angrier and angrier with every Mizzou flop that resulted in a Tennessee foul. I really, reaaaaallly don’t care for Robin Pingeton and the way she is (obviously) teaching her players dirty tactics. Missouri is the only team in the SEC that I actually dislike, and as loud as the crowd was tonight I believe that there were a lot more people there who felt the same way. Lady Vols fans don’t always react with cheers as loud as they were giving with every Mizzou free throw miss, but boy was the crowd against them tonight. I loved it. GREAT crowd!

I detest Missouri.

Lou Brown brings intangibles to her team that aren’t all measured in stats.

She plays fearlessly. She’s not afraid to sink the first shot of the game or later, (and she shot 3 of 4 three point shots last game, that’s 75%, that’s fine).

She fights for the ball, and has the size and determination to do it, whether it’s a rebound under the basket, or a loose ball on the floor.

She never lets up. She doesn’t play the amount of minutes the other starters do, but she’s in the game at important times.

She plays smart. She sets a good example and is steady as a rock.

Most importantly, she plays with confidence, and confidence is contagious to her team.

VN Store

Back