The Official Tennessee vs. Indiana Tax Slayer Gator Bowl Game Thread, 7:00 PM ET, ESPN

It's certainly not bottom level. Upper level in the SEC is elite and they are far and few between. Nobody has ever said JG is elite and fans expecting us to always have elite QB play is an overreach I feel. There are very few elite QBs throughout the country, lots of Vol fans think HB will be the next time we get that type player.

I still think we are a program that should at least have solid qb play. Not necessarily world beaters, but guys that don’t hurt you or get you beat.

I'd rather see good football. Tonight was not good football. But hey, you thu talent dude. You know errythang.
I don't know everything, I like to see good football too, tonight wasn't it but that's 6 in a row, 7 of 8 and it's not crazy to dream about being 6-0 and a 12 game winning streak with Alabama coming to town next year. It's highly unlikely but the pieces are in place and I'm not going to let a bunch of Vol fans trashing a Vol player put a negative light on the direction I think the program is headed.

Why are you angry with anyone being realistic? Tennessee played terrible. I will say I put most of it on JG. He cost us lots of points early. We could’ve crushed their spirits in the 1st quarter. We’re all glad we won. Defense played pretty well. Coaching made some stupid calls early, but in the end made some to win the game. BUT everything about the W was ugly. It never should’ve been close. If you win an ugly game against a tough SEC opponent you run home with a smile. This was not that. We regressed from the end of season. We have a long way to go if we’re gonna compete where we want to be, which is starting in the East with UG and FL. I just want progression. Put your moms knife back in the kitchen drawer please.
If you are going to bitch and moan over our 6 straight win and first bowl win in several years, expect to be pummeled. This is a program in a rebuild mode. Win’s sometimes are ugly. The Clemson win over Ohio State was ugly but I bet their fans are not crying. I’m glad we won 6 out of our last 9 games with the losses to elite programs who all won there bowl games. We are not elite yet and Everyone knows it.

Reactions: irish1485
EXACTLY! Remember how those three decisive bowl wins in a row, after the 2014, 2015, and 2016 seasons led to the historically memorable record-setting 2017 season?
If you are going to bitch and moan over our 6 straight win and first bowl win in several years, expect to be pummeled. This is a program in a rebuild mode. Win’s sometimes are ugly. The Clemson win over Ohio State was ugly but I bet their fans are not crying. I’m glad we won 6 out of our last 9 games with the losses to elite programs who all won there bowl games. We are not elite yet and Everyone knows it.

hahahaha. Comparing Ohio state to IU now. Nice. Listen, I love the string of wins. All I’m saying is we’re much better than we played tonight. We are not in a full rebuild like many like to use the excuse of. The recruiting classes didn’t waiver. I hope our coaches can can put it all together. I’m not a negavol. Every win is better than a Loss. Tonight just shouldn’t have went this way. I really think we’re a QB away from being where we should be. Not a “rebuild” as you put it.

Maybe you need to put your big boy pants on before watching a football game next time. Typically there are lots of ups and downs. Not happy with a win immediately after a game, something's off with you then....

Big boy pants shouldn’t be required against a bad big ten team. I prefer the whitie tighties. The healthy team, extra practices, coaching. I just expected some improvement and didn’t get it. It’s okay for me to be disappointed.

Reactions: 99Vol
hahahaha. Comparing Ohio state to IU now. Nice. Listen, I love the string of wins. All I’m saying is we’re much better than we played tonight. We are not in a full rebuild like many like to use the excuse of. The recruiting classes didn’t waiver. I hope our coaches can can put it all together. I’m not a negavol. Every win is better than a Loss. Tonight just shouldn’t have went this way. I really think we’re a QB away from being where we should be. Not a “rebuild” as you put it.
I agree with you about 1 Qb away. But why the negativism over the best Vol win in years? You are stating like the bowl win was viewed by many here as we are an elite team. No one is even remotely saying that.

He also made plays when we had to have them down the stretch for the win, he's gonna be fine. Fans should definitely lay off, especially if they are Vol fans.
he can be fine at another school , he is not a SEC QB no matter how you try to spin it and you have been spinning it all year. I am not so sure that he is even a Div 1 QB period.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Big boy pants shouldn’t be required against a bad big ten team. I prefer the whitie tighties. The healthy team, extra practices, coaching. I just expected some improvement and didn’t get it. It’s okay for me to be disappointed.
This wasn’t a bad Big 10 team. This was the best team we beat all year and they were a decent team with one more win than us. Your perspective is way off.

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan
I had high hopes JG would improve, but he's stuck on back yard ball. No anticipation, throwing to spots or back shoulder is his forte. He's tough, competitive and doesn't quit but dang he could be so much better.

Reactions: tnvols72
Maurer is a baller that is a pure aggressive passer like Farve. If we can get him to pull it back a little, he could be awesome. Chaney has his hands full.

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan
Outside of Al, LSU, GA and Fl who is getting better QB play? It's not many.

This is pushing it. There is no excuse for JG. He shouldn’t be an SEC starting QB. A lot of teams don’t have great QBs. But they don’t have QBs that they have to worry about losing the game either. We face that every game.

This wasn’t a bad Big 10 team. This was the best team we beat all year and they were a decent team with one more win than us. Your perspective is way off.
I think this is where our perspectives differ. I choose to look at the facts. You chose to look at that 8 at the front of their record. This was not a good football team. Do your homework and look at their record versus teams with winning records. Thus was not the best team we beat. Your looking purely at records which is skewed. Kentucky and MS both prob beat this IU team.

I think this is where our perspectives differ. I choose to look at the facts. You chose to look at that 8 at the front of their record. This was not a good football team. Do your homework and look at their record versus teams with winning records. Thus was not the best team we beat. Your looking purely at records which is skewed. Kentucky and MS both prob beat this IU team.
Maybe Kentucky, no way MS does. I already heard about their records. No one is stating they were elite. They were a decent team we beat tonight with good coaching that made up for their overall lack of talent. Just celebrate our 6th straight win , will ya? The rebuilding effort continues tomorrow.

Pretty simple. A decisive win would’ve shown progression. We didn’t do that tonight.

Did decisive bowl wins show progression for Butch's teams? Bowl games are funny and incredibly unpredictable.

I saw Pruitt field a pretty stingy defense, build a stout o line, and return a missing toughness to Vol football this year.

This team was a QB away from 10 sure wins - and potentially beating Bama. I call that progress.

And for the record, I was in favor of firing him after GSU. Glad I'm not in charge.

he is using Mizzou,Vandy,Ky and USCe games to make his point. I still see the 3rd and 12 and he throws it 2 yds behind the line.

And even in the USCe game, Shrout is the guy that came in and shredded them. JG vs Manning, Shuler, Clausen, Dobbs, even Crompton his Senior year...he’s just not even close to these guys.

Maybe Kentucky, no way MS does. I already heard about their records. No one is stating they were elite. They were a decent team we beat tonight with good coaching that made up for their overall lack of talent. Just celebrate our 6th straight win , will ya? The rebuilding effort continues tomorrow.
lol I’m glad we won. Just hard to celebrate. I hoped to see an improved, fired up team come out tonight. I didn’t get it. Maybe on defense. I’m hoping these woes will be cured with a QB that can just be average. Just not lose us the game. If we get even better than that I think we could be in a really good place. It’s just so hard to watch our offense right now. I think gray is a bright spot. The young receiver showed flashes tonight. I hope HB is what some are praying for.

Reactions: Big Al Orange

VN Store

Back