Something you miss about your kids?

Watching them come running to the garden ready to eat veggies. They would tear into the radishes, green beans and tomatoes. They were 4-6 yrs old and this made me so happy to see.
Hope you’re getting through your days ok. I’m thinking of you in this tough time.

Reactions: joevol33
Hope you’re getting through your days ok. I’m thinking of you in this tough time.
Exile... thanks so much!

Not sure where I am with all this... I just keep going and doing. Busier is better I find. I will go back to work Jan 6. I think that will be a boost for me and get my brain moving in another direction.

Mines only 8 and I already dread the thought of when she stops wanting to cook pancakes with me on Saturday mornings. It’s my favorite part of the week. But I can tell it will soon be a just me job. I had to harass her a few weeks ago to put the iPad down and come help me.

There is no better feeling in life than when you're laid back on a recliner or couch with your little baby lying on your chest, and the baby falls asleep and then you fall asleep... more peaceful, satisfying sleep cannot be had.

Of course, you wake up and have a brief panic that maybe you had dropped the baby or something, but all is well and that period of time between the nod-off and the panic was the best feeling of your life.

I have two sons. My oldest is 9 and my youngest is 4. My 9 year old looks like a Xerox copy of me (my youngest favors his mom). The freakiest thing about that is when I watch him, it's like I have stepped outside of myself and I'm watching myself grow up all over again. Absolutely NOTHING prepared me for that feeling! I get overwhelmed with emotion just typing it.

Funny thing is God willing your kids have kids you realize you love them as much as your kids and the cycle repeats itself so to speak. Amazing little pattern God has formulated there.

A weird extension of that is grasping the importance of how we affect the future. The worst thing that could happen to me is something bad happening to my kids, and I assume when they have kids the worst thing that could happen to them is something bad happening to their kids, and so on. So if I really think about my kids' experience of life after I'm gone, it's not hard to make that leap from an abstract idea to an immediate concern. And that's pretty cool... and scary at times.

Of course, we all will take away different ideas from that regarding what it means to protect our descendants' futures, and that's fine. The important thing is just maintaining that long view and not ignoring our legacies, so it's good to give thought to that immediacy of connections from time to time.

Funny thing is God willing your kids have kids you realize you love them as much as your kids and the cycle repeats itself so to speak. Amazing little pattern God has formulated

Great post
I thank God everyday for my kids and theirs

Of a life full of little people, one of the fondest memories. Being a East Tennessee hillbilly I/we traveled I-75 from Chattanooga to Bristol for work(TVA). One day traveling with the oldest daughter, sitting in the front seat of my first regular cab F-100, in her car seat. We went across the Hywassie river bridge (I-75) near Bowater paper mill. Well she decides to take her shoes off and to this day she still thinks her feet smell of paper mills,
VFL who travel that route know and we still laugh and remember. GBO

I learned the hard way kids are always listening. I was driving and forgot my baby girl was in her car seat in the back....I was waiting to turn left and was talking to myself and said something like "What is this idiot doing?" referring to another driver. Next thing I know I hear my 2 year old say "What's that idiot doing?!?!" I still laugh about that.

When my oldest was about 2 we were going through Starbucks and before we pulled up to the place order I hear from the backseat, “I want a tall Latte with Almond milk”.

Reactions: joevol33 and MAD
We're having pancakes for dinner. When my middle daughter was little, she always called them "panty cakes". Now I'm the only one who does 😂. My oldest would try to say I've got issues, or someone has issues, but she'd say "they've got tennis shoes". Little bit, my baby girl, couldn't say yesterday for a long time. She would instead say "lasterday", and it was adorable. Just got me to thinking of little stuff like that, and I miss it. Anything you miss?

I only got one kid. She's 17 months old, so there isn't a ton of material yet, but when she was about 12 months she had a couple of weeks where she would wake up from a nap or in the morning and call out my first name real loud until we came and got her. It was hilarious.

When my oldest was about 2 we were going through Starbucks and before we pulled up to the place order I hear from the backseat, “I want a tall Latte with Almond milk”.
Lol, that reminds me of my daughter, we were at the Steak and Shake drive through and she yells from the back window, “I want a steak and a shake”

I miss pretending Santa came in the middle of the night.
One Christmas my daughter was maybe 3 or 4. Santa(really me and my wife)was very generous and got her some great gifts. When we were all done opening presents we noticed that she was crying. We asked her why she was crying and she said, “how come mommy and daddy didn’t get me anything?” We forgot to label any of the gifts from us instead of Santa. Bless her innocent heart.

I only got one kid. She's 17 months old, so there isn't a ton of material yet, but when she was about 12 months she had a couple of weeks where she would wake up from a nap or in the morning and call out my first name real loud until we came and got her. It was hilarious.
My wife calls me "honey" more than anything. When my middle one was around 3-4 she got in the habit. She would get mad when my wife would tell her I was her honey, so she had to call me daddy. 😄

Reactions: n_huffhines and MAD
My wife is better at this than I am, but we used to put him in his bouncy seat in front of the TV for his daily Baby Einstein videos when he was 1-2 years old. He'd get to rocking back and forth. But, his favorite character was some sock puppet. When he went across the screen his legs and arms would go everywhere and that bouncy seat got to literally moving across the floor.

When he needed to go down for a nap, my wife would bring him to me while I was mowing. The riding mower would have him out like a light in a few minutes and she'd come get him.
when he got older, 7ish I guess, and could somewhat handle the riding mower, he would want to mow. Started with me in seat then he wouldn't let me on. He never really saw where he was going, cause he was always looking back to watch the grass shoot out. He did not understand straight lines and mowing, so there were basically curved paths thru the yard I had to go back and finish.

He's a reserved, independent sort, so cuddly stuff always had to begged for. But, I always enjoyed time on the couch with him napping on my chest. Well not really my chest. He came out a toddler anyways, and I had to go to the Rite Aid across from the hospital for 6 month diapers when he was born cause the hospital didn't have any to fit him, and he started out life in 6 month clothes. He swears he remembers the color room he was born in.

An outing to remember was with his great grandmother. He was 2 or 3. She was not far from the end of life. But, still healthy enough. She wanted to take him to the Knox Zoo. So he went around mostly in stroller, and she eventually in wheel chair to relieve the walking. It almost did her in. In the little shop near the end of the outing, he was asleep in his stroller, next to her asleep in her wheelchair.

Her son was 6 when we started dating. We would go to Sonic regularly after church. He discovered their Frito Pie (fritos and chili). You'd think we fed the kid only once a month with the sounds of pleasure coming from the back seat. Only to find out without fail, he never finished over half the serving. And that is stretching it. In his defense he is now 27, and still hasn't broke 115 pounds. he was a great HS Wrestler though. Always ranked top 5 in GA in his weight class.

And just seeing how their minds work. My sister lived on a small neighborhood lake. My son was 3. But, he thought the water should be out front and not in back. So, he devised a way to move the lake, and demonstrated how he would do it. Simple enough. He would move the water thru a garden hose to where he wanted. But, for a 3 year old at the time it seemed like fairly critical thinking.

Last edited:
I won't miss potty training, but it's made for a lot of laughs. We started 2 months ago and the kid had some funny questions, like "Can I eat the poop?" We told her that she would have to go see the doctor and get a shot because we've decided scaring her is a good tactic. Every once in a while she'll have a conversation with herself where she says "You can't eat the poop. Go see the doctor."

Fast forward to today, my wife is leaving to get her second vaccine. She tells our toddler she has to go get a shot, and my daughter responded, "You ate the poop?"

Last edited:

BTW, I got two now. The boy is fkn huge and I can't stop thinking I got myself a defensive end. He is 95th+ percentile in everything. I think he's going to come in over 20 lbs at his 4-month checkup. For reference, his sister was above average size and she was 14 lbs at 4 months (which he passed up at 2 months).

I won't miss potty training, but it's made for a lot of laughs. We started 2 months ago and the kid had some funny questions, like "Can I eat the poop?" We told her that she would have to go see the doctor and get a shot." because we've decided scaring her is a good tactic. Every once in a while she'll have a conversation with herself where she says "You can't eat the poop. Go see the doctor."

Fast forward to today, my wife is leaving to get her second vaccine. She tells our toddler she has to go get a shot, and my daughter responded, "You ate the poop?"
lol. That's a great story.

Reactions: n_huffhines
Strawbabies for Strawberries and beef twerky for beef jerky. I miss wrestling on the bed and the innocence . Now I miss milk and tea cause there is never any in the fridge! ( My 2 are home from college for the summer)

VN Store

Back