Best sports annoncers

TennFan

Who are the best top 5/10 sports announcers, excluding John Ward, to include football/basketball/baseball?

Bill Walton
Dickie V
Joe Buck
Booger McFarland
Gary Danielson

Reactions: Vol49er
How about Mussberger, Gowdy or Enberg? I go along with Vitale and Keith Jackson!

That’s a good list. Those mma guys don’t get enough credit.

I think one advantage MMA has over other sports is that guys like DC and Rogan have a lot of experience in gyms explaining complicated grappling to novices. It's just the nature of the sport. So DC can step off the mat and sit ringside and speak to the home audience with an incredible level of communication. Contrast that with someone like Witten who probably worked at camps with kids showing them 3-point stances and post routes, but never related anything that complicated to anyone outside of the sport, and it showed.

I think one advantage MMA has over other sports is that guys like DC and Rogan have a lot of experience in gyms explaining complicated grappling to novices. It's just the nature of the sport. So DC can step off the mat and sit ringside and speak to the home audience with an incredible level of communication. Contrast that with someone like Witten who probably worked at camps with kids showing them 3-point stances and post routes, but never related anything that complicated to anyone outside of the sport, and it showed.
I always felt bad for Witten. They gave him a big stage but it was obvious as soon as he opened his mouth that he needed to go do some FCS games and get seasoned a little.

My favorite current play-by-play and color guys:

Brad Nessler
Todd Blackledge
Tony Romo
Jim Hughson (NHL)
Chris Collinsworth (never have understood the hate for him)
Kevin Burkhardt
Dan Shulman
The guys that broadcast the big EPL game on NBCSN
Ian Eagle
Mike Breen
Al Michaels

Reactions: 508mikey
Wow you all are young. Some of the best I loved to listen to back in the day were Ray Scott, Dick Enberg, Lindsay Nelson and Dan Kelly. I really haven't heard any better than them. Just as good probably, but not better.

Reactions: 1972 Grad
My personal all time favorites

Jim McKay
Dick Enberg
Jack Whitaker
Al Michaels
Vin Scully
Jim Nantz
Curt Gowdy
Ron Franklin
Mike Gottfried
Frank Gifford
Don Meredith

Golf wasn't included but should be

David Feherty
Gary McCord
Peter Kostis
Peter Oosterhuis
Peter Alliss

Reactions: MAD
You're mixing two entirely different specs. Joe Buck is a play-by-play announcer. The rest on your list are color analysts
wahq8vfe16io.gif

Best play-by-play: Al Michaels - football. Marv Albert - basketball. Curt Gowdy - baseball.

Best color analyst: Merlin Olson - football. Hubie Brown - basketball. Tim McCarver - baseball

College
Play- by- play: Ron Franklin - football. John Ward - basketball

Color analyst: Pat Haden - football. Bill Garrety - basketball

Last edited:
I think getting recognition as a good national play-by-play guy by fans is one of the hardest reputations to achieve in sports media. The guy who has not been mentioned is Mike Tirico. He is so good at seamlessly recovering from a sentence that started out wrong or backwards, you don't even really notice. I don't think anybody does this as well as him.

Reactions: zjcvols
My personal all time favorites

Jim McKay
Dick Enberg
Jack Whitaker
Al Michaels
Vin Scully
Jim Nantz
Curt Gowdy
Ron Franklin
Mike Gottfried
Frank Gifford
Don Meredith

Golf wasn't included but should be

David Feherty
Gary McCord
Peter Kostis
Peter Oosterhuis
Peter Alliss
Re: golf announcers, you forgot Ken Venturi, Jack Whitaker, Roger Maltbie, Johnny Miller, Nick Faldo, and Henry Longhurst.

VN Store

Back