Could meditation help Kasi become a more focused shooter?

lvocd

I feel as though a lack of focus in moments of chaos and stress (for her, when she’s shooting) is a logical explanation for why Kasi has an ongoing struggle with hitting her shots. She has all the necessary tools for hitting a much higher percentage of her shots, yet she still too often misses even the easiest shots.

I have to wonder if meditation and/or mental visualization might be of benefit to her. If I were Kellie I’d be getting in touch with someone who could teach this skill to Kasi and, perhaps, several other players.

Some links I found to support this idea:

Why Every Basketball Player Should Meditate

How To Mentally Prepare For A Basketball Game - Next Level Hoops

10 Tips to Improve the Mental Side of Shooting

4 Ways to Improve Your Mental Game

c'mon op what are talkin about??….u want her to study yogi?...why don't u smoke some weed and stick some incense up her ass too man?? c'mon op who are u AI?....I mean whatever happened to practice?...good old fashioned practice?...….also.....whatever happen to the coach putting a foot in yer ass to get u goin?...thats all this team needs...I mean man I really bought into this philosophy when I seen Coach Pruitt rough up JG this year....his game changed bigtime man....smack the punks around a lil bit and knock some sense into em…….....maybe coach P need to get a hold of em man!!! ….and....yes...I love these dots...…………………….lol...…..GBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

c'mon op what are talkin about??….u want her to study yogi?...why don't u smoke some weed and stick some incense up her ass too man?? c'mon op who are u AI?....I mean whatever happened to practice?...good old fashioned practice?...….also.....whatever happen to the coach putting a foot in yer ass to get u goin?...thats all this team needs...I mean man I really bought into this philosophy when I seen Coach Pruitt rough up JG this year....his game changed bigtime man....smack the punks around a lil bit and knock some sense into em…….....maybe coach P need to get a hold of em man!!! ….and....yes...I love these dots...…………………….lol...…..GBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Too funny 😂

I feel as though a lack of focus in moments of chaos and stress (for her, when she’s shooting) is a logical explanation for why Kasi has an ongoing struggle with hitting her shots. She has all the necessary tools for hitting a much higher percentage of her shots, yet she still too often misses even the easiest shots.

I have to wonder if meditation and/or mental visualization might be of benefit to her. If I were Kellie I’d be getting in touch with someone who could teach this skill to Kasi and, perhaps, several other players.

Many of our players need to visualize making their shots go in the basket. I am guessing Kellie already works on this, she is very thorough. 🙂

source.gif

Are you really serious?

Reactions: Darth_Vol

Sorry you're going through this backlash lvocd
You have posted for a while and this is not a true reflection of your wisdom
I am sorry for my making fun of it
"seeing the ball go through the basket" is some BS that some coach started years ago.

when most people think of meditation they visualize a hippie, legs crossed moaning "oooommmm"
When I think of oooommm I think of the electrical resistance between two points of a conductor-Ohm

Kasi just needs to quit that "power-dribble" and go up with it upon reception
Keep it high and shoot from up there or finish while it is up there...
All the power-dribble does is let the defender have an extra 1/2 a second to better position themselves to complicate her finish.

Kasi need has a goto shot (left-pivot power-up)...all she needs to have now is a complimentary secondary goto shot that works to the oposite side (back-pivot fade)...once she has this she needs to practice it (WITHOUT the power-dribble!) and then practice it some more until she can't do either move wrong. She needs a coach to get in her grill and stay there until she can do it by herself,

That's the trouble with getting elite athletes and highly rated players...coaches think when they get them they're ready to go. No need to train them further. . . If she had been trained on proper footwork before she rebounded it would eliminate the need for a power-dribble (PD) because upon reception of the O-Reb, she would be in a position to go immediately back up with it instead of bringing it down to "gather" for her upward explosion.

I literally hate the power-dribble.
It was popularized in the AAU in Atlanta right before I moved to K-town. around 2015.
I remember several area coaches yelling for their player to not go straight up, but to come to a stop and PD...I thought what a stupid idea...to stop a full on FB and plant yourself and let the defense catch up.

Even after I moved here, I made several trips back to ATL to stay in touch with my coaching friends with the Pistols.
I think she was about 16 or so when I saw her there at an AAU tourney,,,our Pistols Gold team was playing FBC's Select team
I remember thinking then, I I ever had to play her I would tell my kids to attack her on reception-low because she did the PD even then.

When I speak of the mental side of shooting it has nothing to do with thinking, it has to do with "not thinking"

Get Kasi to react and go and stop trying to gain a power-advantage by re-coiling on a PD and then, she will fly!

Reactions: RollerVol
Many of our players need to visualize making their shots go in the basket. I am guessing Kellie already works on this, she is very thorough. 🙂
She can't be to thorough, we haven't beaten a good team this year. Take a lesson from the top coaches and stop the patting and asking them to do better, demand it, and if they don't, there is room on the bench until they do. The way we are playing, it does not look good for us in the SEC. Kellie played for the best coach of all time, go back and watch some videos and see how many times she got a pat on the back when she messed up or didn't give 100 percent. I know we are MUCH better off with her than the previous coach, she just needs to be tougher. We have so much individual talent, let's put it to use. Lady Vol Fan For Life

She can't be to thorough, we haven't beaten a good team this year. Take a lesson from the top coaches and stop the patting and asking them to do better, demand it, and if they don't, there is room on the bench until they do. The way we are playing, it does not look good for us in the SEC. Kellie played for the best coach of all time, go back and watch some videos and see how many times she got a pat on the back when she messed up or didn't give 100 percent. I know we are MUCH better off with her than the previous coach, she just needs to be tougher. We have so much individual talent, let's put it to use. Lady Vol Fan For Life

Guess you must have missed this, posted by Hoosier in a previous thread. I think Coach Kellie didn’t pat or ask after Texas loss.

POST-GAME QUOTATIONS:
On what Coach Harper was like after the loss to Texas:

"She's different. I'm going to just leave it at that." -- Rennia Davis

"Strictly business. Different attitude, different mindset, different practice, just a different attitude in general." -- Jazmine Massengill

"Something that we don't want to see again." -- Jordan Horston

Back in the day, CPS collaborated with a UT prof. in the sports psychology area. He trained LVs in a variety of visualization techniques (he worked with track athletes too under then coach Terry Crawford). His visualization techniques included some mediation elements and all worked on the mind-body connection.

There is a substantial body of research to show that visualization techniques can improve performance and these techniques are widely used by elite athletes:

Olympians Use Imagery as Mental Training

Posters rejecting this idea as being "idiotic" are speaking from a position of ignorance. Of course, visualization won't make an average player great but, at the margin, it can improve performance and perhaps give an athlete a little extra edge.

Now there are apps that athletes use for this purpose (including meditation techniques) and they are becoming popular among NBA players:

These young NBA stars are rising because of meditation and mindfulness

Per the story above, one NBA player, when in high school, took his FT shooting from 30% to 70% using this app.

So, yeah it is not inconceivable that KK could see some benefit from visualization/meditation techniques.

Before blasting somebody who raises a legit question, though it may sound unconventional, perhaps google first. It ain't that hard.

Last edited:
madtown, the way I cope with much of the ignorance and close-mindedness that often rears its ugly head on message boards is to visualize what their homes might look like. Some have poor homes, some have very nice homes. But I picture their homes totally empty of any meaningful reading material. The most they may have around are a few magazines — book shelves are just picture frame and keepsake displays. No books except, maybe, a How To Clean A Gun book. Ignorant people don’t read books. Or fact check. Or bother to Google.

Reactions: RollerVol
Practice Practice Practice; And Then; making shots becomes second nature by muscle memory. No thinking required.

"Muscle memory" is far more complicated than that. Most neurologists regard the term to be a misnomer, preferring "motor memory" instead-- i.e., recurent patterns of activation among neurons that are distributed throughout the body, with many key connections centered in the cerebral cortex.

Motor memory can create some surprising training outcomes. Example, a few years back I had an arm injury and I was worried about muscle atrophy because I would be out of commission for about three months. And I assumed that doing bicep and tricep workouts with my functional arm would be a no-no that would exacerbate the muscle imbalance. Well, I was 100% wrong. I found a bunch of studies showing that working the uninjured limb can retain up to 70% of the strength and flexibility in the injured arm (or leg if that is the case). That counterintuitive effect reflects that the neurological system naturally tries to balance itself so it activates the established pathways even if the one limb is not being used.

I was amazed at how quickly i was able to get my injured arm back to equal with my healthy one by using this technique. Probably in less that 2 weeks there was no noticeable difference in what I could curl etc. I was flat out stunned.

This motor memory dynamic also suggest that mental imagery can activate neural pathways and, hence, visualization can help the neurons to reorganize in ways that might lead to say better form and correct bad habits. Of course, you still need to practice the movement but the visualization can enhance the movement (particularly when it is remedial and trying to correct bad habits) and make the retraining process faster and more efficient.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back