What Happened to the Affordable Pickup Truck?

Don't leave out the $15,000 sound system so everyone can hear what you are listening to 7 miles down the lake!!! Or the awesome $50,000 Corvette Engine Malibu puts in some. I used to do loans on these things like hot cakes. It's always the guy who makes about 80k/year with 2 kids that has to impress the neighborhood and the people they associate with 3 months out of the year. I guess paying $1,100 a month for 20 years is worth it. The island we go to during the lake season is loaded with them. 8/10 are douche bags who have no business owning a boat and take up the ramps for 45 minutes at a time because they have no idea how to load or launch. /Rant over

I have almost came to blows at the ramp with the son of our local Malibu dealer, he's a huge douche that thinks he owns the boat ramp.

Reactions: BAJAvol
Dude, I'm right there with you. Those kids running that Mastercraft up into a tree on Douglas a couple years ago is the perfect microcosm of those things. Its a thousand wonders they weren't all killed.

Don't get me started with how they ruin simply cruising around the lake, or are frigging destroying shorelines because they can't be bothered to run out in the main channel...

Its borderline sad when you see them trying to sell them on Craigslist of FB Marketplace...but I have no sympathy. Prayers for their micro peens.

My biggest pet peeve is when they swing through a cove with boats anchored while pulling a wakeboard or surfer sending 3' waves ****ing up everyone's day.

I wish they would ban wake boats on the lake I live on.
They are destroying the banks, they make pontoon boats do a nose dive lol.
I have a inboard/outboard, and you have to come to a complete stop when approaching a wake boat.

I don't want them banned, I have a couple friends that have them and I enjoy surfing. I just want it to be legal for me to sink the muthers that act like idiots with them.

Don't leave out the $15,000 sound system so everyone can hear what you are listening to 7 miles down the lake!!! Or the awesome $50,000 Corvette Engine Malibu puts in some. I used to do loans on these things like hot cakes. It's always the guy who makes about 80k/year with 2 kids that has to impress the neighborhood and the people they associate with 3 months out of the year. I guess paying $1,100 a month for 20 years is worth it. The island we go to during the lake season is loaded with them. 8/10 are douche bags who have no business owning a boat and take up the ramps for 45 minutes at a time because they have no idea how to load or launch. /Rant over

Used to have a Pro Craft Fish/Ski model with a 75hp Mercury Thunderbolt. Hated that motor. Great boat. horrible Merc. But, I learned to warm it up at the house before heading to dock. By myself, I could back in, drop the boat, jump in, fire it up, pull up to dock, and have my truck out of the way in 5 minutes tops. sometimes, I'd just drop the trolling motor to pull to the dock and fire it up on my time after parking my truck. It ain't that hard. Now I got two monarch metal boats. One with a Thunderbolt ($1200 cash). One with a Johnson ($100 cash from my boss and runs great looks great). Both are 50's and will scoot down the river. Guess which one I like more... (If your in middle TN, and want a metal boat with a Merc on it...hit me up. Wife said one needs to go. Motor does run pretty darn good. I just don't like old Thunderbolts. They can be aggravating sometimes.)

I have a inboard/outboard, and you have to come to a complete stop when approaching a wake boat.

I had to cut behind a house boat one time. One of those things you just saw coming and were hemed in. didn't realize their wake was so big. That procraft went air born across that wake. Slapped the water square coming down. Tough boat. Back ached for a minute after that. And had to circle back and get my orange UT hat outta the water. Knocked it off.

Haulin 500 kilos of cocaine from Zapata, Tx to Chicago doesn't scratch the bed. But I still need a truck to do it. Hypothetically.

Do you need any help haulin those 500 "packages" from Zapata to Chicago? Don't have a truck but got a damn good horse and buggy.....horse gets about 5 miles to a half-bale of hay!

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
My biggest pet peeve is when they swing through a cove with boats anchored while pulling a wakeboard or surfer sending 3' waves ****ing up everyone's day.
If they do it more than once it’s a valid ass whipping offense IMO

Sounds like you aren’t following the law. The wave is at its largest immediately trailing the boat and dispersed relatively quickly from a height standpoint , when crossing the wake of another boat (in the state of TN and NC) you have to stay at least 100 feet back. If you are being swamped 100 feet behind the boat something is likely wrong.

It is a fact that these boats can destroy docks and shorelines (and be a pain for anchored boats) but the issue stems from the minority of operators who do not follow the laws and have 0 sense of courtesy.

Sounds like you aren’t following the law. The wave is at its largest immediately trailing the boat and dispersed relatively quickly from a height standpoint , when crossing the wake of another boat (in the state of TN and NC) you have to stay at least 100 feet back. If you are being swamped 100 feet behind the boat something is likely wrong.

It is a fact that these boats can destroy docks and shorelines (and be a pain for anchored boats) but the issue stems from the minority of operators who do not follow the laws and have 0 sense of courtesy.

I was referring to...when a *wake*boat is coming your way, and the lake is only 150 yds wide you have no choice but to slow down, or almost a complete stop. It's still a good 2ft wake at maximum distance.
And I do follow the law, been boating for 30 years plus and never had a citation.
I am not the only one who complains about wakeboats around these parts, the majority of these wakeboater's have no respect for other boaters.

Reactions: BAJAvol and hog88
Ordered this... 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali. Hard to find at this time due to last strike by GM auto workers. Ordered it a month ago... it is now somewhere near Missoula and will pick it up later this week.
21698975181.jpg
Bns3oOw.jpg

Last edited:
Order this... 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali. Hard to find at this time due to last strike by GM auto workers. Ordered it a month ago... it is now somewhere near Missoula and will pick it up later this week.
21698975181.jpg
cant hide money! Slick truck!

I've heard some similar things about the current generation Tacoma, they say theyre great trucks but not on the level of the previous ones.

I would like to get one but beginning to look at other options; I was excited for the Ranger but that's just an ugly assed vehicle
I've wanted a Tacoma for years and was finally able to justify getting one. My brother has an 06 that's been problem free. Co-worker has an 07 that's the same.

I was also considering a Ridgeline or Ranger. I'm still a little hesitant on the turbo 4cyl on the Ranger. I know the 6 cyl eco-boosts have done well, but I though one of Ford's turbo 4s had been having reliability issues on the focus or fiesta. Nothing wrong with the Ridgeline. Not the best looking truck or the truckiest truck, but it should get better mileage and I felt like I would be getting more features for the money. But I chose a Tacoma for it's rep.

Took mine in today for it's 5k mile svc. They adjusted the alignment I mentioned earlier in the thread regarding the steering wheel being 3-4 degrees off center. Front left toe was out of spec. I also mentioned that I can hear a whine noise from 55-60 mph. Turns out there's a little history of this on the 3rd gen tacomas. There's been a few different fixes from Toyota over the past 4 years. They didn't tell me that, I looked this up on some tacoma forums back in Sept. Some have been told it's a harmonic vibration and it's nothing. Just a characteristic of the truck. Others had their rear differential fluid serviced. And others have had the rear differential replaced altogether. That's the route my dealership went today. I wasn't expecting it, but they said the tech heard the same and they're ordering a new rear diff and will call me when it arrives to set an app to come back.

Last edited:
Thought this was a pickup thread? I was in a boat wreck once where we ended up with the boat resting on a guardrail at the edge of a rock causeway. We were in a Ski Nautique. Destroyed that inboard engine but saved about seven lives. I still don't know how nobody flew out of the boat. Alcohol was involved and running without lights in the dark. Our driver was arrested but we were all pretty much in the same condition so I couldn't hold it against him.

I will say that Toyota trucks hold their value like crazy. If you buy one right you'll be set when it comes to resale.

My problem with them is that I never wanna resale them. I have a 1995.5 tacoma that I will drive forever. My new taco is a 2010 and she is barely broken in. However, I like my old one better.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back