Game Thread: #17/19 LADY VOLS VS. TEXAS

Great potential and energy and agree she brings more than Brown - more turnovers, more wild shots, more one on one me plays, more drive the lane to take on three defenders and end up on the floor plays. If she ever learns to play within a team concept and when to rein it in a bit she has all the tools to be great.

Let`s face it i called it Brown would be a non factor against Texas and no vs Stanford cupcake city is over, To add you sound like one of Holly hold overs.

Let`s face it i called it Brown would be a non factor against Texas and no vs Stanford cupcake city is over, To add you sound like one of Holly hold overs.
Nope, thrilled to see Holly go. Was at game. Told my friend Brown's minutes should be decreased. Reread my post, see great potential in Burrell but at the moment her negatives vs positives are debatable. What did anything I write have anything to illicit a thought of Holly?

A different challenge with Colorado State loves to shoot the three averaging 22 per game and have taken as many as thirty. They average 36 percent from the three on average. I hope we just push out the offense take the three away make them drive and have players like Key in there to stop anyone from scoring the layup.

Brown shouldn't be a starter she is not even 100 percent doubt she will ever be again you can tell the leg is still a problem .

The team is young, that is not an excuse, that is a fact. The youth of a team can affect team play. I have seen it first hand as a high school coach.You don’t look necessarily at how a young team starts you look for improvements as the year progresses. Texas has some top tier talent, two of the players had injuries to start the year. Right now Texas has not played like a top tier team, however, because of their record does not mean they did not have the talent to beat us. Not one team we played prior to playing Texas, really challenged us. This is the first time this year we played a team who equaled our height and talent, and a little more playing experience. We will get there if we can be a little patient.

Forget Texas, I am looking at how the Vols played. I am not bother so much by getting beat, it is how sorry the team played during several points in the game. It was just a loss of focus.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Reality:
ETSU almost beat us! ETSU!
Notre Dame is not good, by a lot!
A very inspired (and talented) Texas team beat us!
A few weeks ago Coach Kellie was quick to dismiss the media member who ask the loaded question about “most talented team ever” with a “.... the top part of our roster is SOME of the better players I’ve coached” response. (Paraphrases) Imagine what this board would be like ...had she taken the bait.

We are tall, rugged, and LIMITED in the paint. Several (and perhaps, even the Coaching Staff) have written off Emily Saunders for this season. My question: where’s the dramatic separation from her to the next one of higher status? We do not yet have a complete post player, which is obviously why so many are playing.

Several have written off the pretty Australian, Miss Rennie, for the season, some even dismissing her as not up to Division One talent. I think she’s nervous, plain and simple. * When a shooter WILL NOT SHOOT, it is mental/psychological/NERVES! Add to that, she has been tinkering a bit with her lovely stroke.This takes time. Whether she can overcome this mental aspect - this season - is fairly up for question. But, the criticism is a little over the top.

I’m not suggesting that Emily, or Jessie will suddenly jump to the head of the class; in fact, I don’t expect it, and certainly not this season. But, I think both are Division One capable, needing only strength, coordination/footwork, self-confidence to become significant contributors to the rebuilding of this tremendous program.

My biggest concern - for now - is at the Top of our roster ...with our LEADERS. Did anyone here see them? If our best/most-talented players had performed better, we’re eight-and- Oh My Goodness, Look At Us!

Sure, call more timeouts, if that’s your thing. But, don’t be fooled by what takes place in the huddle. There were no magic tricks, no fancy plays needed on Sunday afternoon; just hit a few more open jumpers, a few more made free throws.
A few less UNforced turnovers.
And hit the layups!

We are what we are - long, athletic, hard-working. But do we have the mental toughness and on-court leadership to become an SEC contender?

Do you recall Coach Kellie’s response to the question about leaders? (Again paraphrasing).
“This one might be.”
“That one could be.”
“We’re working with (this one, that one, the other one) on that aspect of her game.”
“We think.”
“We hope.”
“We expect.”
What’s missing here?
“WE HAVE!”

Reality:
A few weeks ago Coach Kellie was quick to dismiss the media member who ask the loaded question about “most talented team ever” with a “.... the top part of our roster is SOME of the better players I’ve coached” response. (Paraphrases) Imagine what this board would be like ...had she taken the bait.

We are tall, rugged, and LIMITED in the paint. Several (and perhaps, even the Coaching Staff) have written off Emily Saunders for this season. My question: where’s the dramatic separation from her to the next one of higher status? We do not yet have a complete post player, which is obviously why so many are playing.

Several have written off the pretty Australian, Miss Rennie, for the season, some even dismissing her as not up to Division One talent. I think she’s nervous, plain and simple. * When a shooter WILL NOT SHOOT, it is mental/psychological/NERVES! Add to that, she has been tinkering a bit with her lovely stroke.This takes time. Whether she can overcome this mental aspect - this season - is fairly up for question. But, the criticism is a little over the top.

I’m not suggesting that Emily, or Jessie will suddenly jump to the head of the class; in fact, I don’t expect it, and certainly not this season. But, I think both are Division One capable, needing only strength, coordination/footwork, self-confidence to become significant contributors to the rebuilding of this tremendous program.

My biggest concern - for now - is at the Top of our roster ...with our LEADERS. Did anyone here see them? If our best/most-talented players had performed better, we’re eight-and- Oh My Goodness, Look At Us!

Sure, call more timeouts, if that’s your thing. But, don’t be fooled by what takes place in the huddle. There were no magic tricks, no fancy plays needed on Sunday afternoon; just hit a few more open jumpers, a few more made free throws.
And hit the layups!

We are what we are - long, athletic, hard-working. But do we have the mental toughness and on-court leadership to become an SEC contender?

Do you recall Coach Kellie’s response to the question about leaders? (Again paraphrasing).
“This one might be.”
“That one could be.”
“We’re working with (this one, that one, the other one) on that aspect of her game.”
“We think.”
“We hope.”
“We expect.”
What’s missing here?
“WE HAVE!”
I agree with you analogy. It takes A lot of work to bring many segments together as one unit when you start coaching a new program for the first time. No matter if we like it or not, the Lady Vols are a work in progress. You can have less talent but be strong mentally and beat a more athletic team. I do not think the ladies were mentally ready for Texas’ athleticism. I am not big on moral victories, however, being 12 down, they did not fold their tents.

We will find a lot more about this team when they face Stanford. Stanford’s players are both athletically and mentally tough. If KJH can get this team up to where she had Mo.State when they played Stanford in the NCAA’s, even if they lose, we will know the ladies are headed in the right direction. The Lady Vols are more talented than Mo. State, however, we have to keep in mind that KJH had more time invested in Mo. State than she presently have in the Lady Vols. Based on one loss is not the time to start comparing KJH as to what she did, or did not do at North Carolina State. You need a larger sample size.

Reality:

And hit the layups!

“This one might be.”
“That one could be.”
“We think.”
“We hope.”
“We expect.”
What’s missing here?
“WE HAVE!”
All the players on our roster are D1 level players just not top tier P5 level players. Rennie, Saunders, McCoy and Massingil are better suited for lower D1 schools and this is not a criticism just stating what I see!

TX shoots a measly % from 3, so that doesn't worry me.

Tx is averaging 17 TO's a game

TX will play us like we are Tennessee!

I see UT winning 85-60 with the game much closer in the onset and distancing as TX, who has little depth, tires.
Thanks for the laugh!

Wow. That’s pretty ungracious of a Texas fan to come to a Tennessee fan board after your team won to poke fun at a Lady Vol fan’s pre-game optimism.

Noted. And won’t forget.

Lighten up, Francis. I’ve seen remarks by Lady Vol fans in regards to opposing teams and their looks or lack there of, especially softball. And although true to a point, those other teams continue to add nattys while our Lady Vols asses are parked on the sofas.

Reactions: gule
Wow. That’s pretty ungracious of a Texas fan to come to a Tennessee fan board after your team won to poke fun at a Lady Vol fan’s pre-game optimism.

Noted. And won’t forget.
I own what I said. I laughed when I read Coach's analysis, disrespect toward Texas in so many areas, and of course the prediction.

If you want to discuss being "ungracious", re-read the entire thread just like I did. You'll see plenty of "ungracious" posts before and after the game from Lady Vol posters as they discussed Texas. Get back to me when you're done. If you don't have time, I will be happy to quote them all individually so you can lecture those posters about being "ungracious" with their comments.

I own what I said. I laughed when I read Coach's analysis, disrespect toward Texas in so many areas, and of course the prediction.

If you want to discuss being "ungracious", re-read the entire thread just like I did. You'll see plenty of "ungracious" posts before and after the game from Lady Vol posters as they discussed Texas. Get back to me when you're done. If you don't have time, I will be happy to quote them all individually so you can lecture those posters about being "ungracious" with their comments.

I agree........losing to a very bad team like Texas is really not good for the LadyVols...but is happens sometimes!!!

I agree........losing to a very bad team like Texas is really not good for the LadyVols...but is happens sometimes!!!
For the record, I wasn't "laughing" at the Lady Vol players (who played hard) nor the coaches (who are gonna have ups and downs throughout the season). My comment was directed at the OP who was very insulting and condescending towards Texas, IMO.

Reactions: brassie and gule

You are way out of line with this, southie. Now, if Tennessee fans had gone over to a Texas fan board and predicted a huge Lady Vol victory or made comments that weren’t gracious in YOUR house, then you’d have every right to mouth off.

But are you really going on other teams’ boards expecting Texas love-fests, and if you don’t feel greatly appreciated you’re mad? If so, you may need professional help.

You are way out of line with this, southie. Now, if Tennessee fans had gone over to a Texas fan board and predicted a huge Lady Vol victory or made comments that weren’t gracious in YOUR house, then you’d have every right to mouth off.

But are you really going on other teams’ boards expecting Texas love-fests, and if you don’t feel greatly appreciated you’re mad? If so, you may need professional help.
Yeah, I should never expect fans of the losing team to actually compliment the victor even slightly. That doesn't happen anywhere in the world. :rolleyes:

There was a time when Lady Vols fans were classy in victory and defeat. But, that's easy to do when your team was winning championship after championship. Things have changed all the way around.

Reactions: gule
All the players on our roster are D1 level players just not top tier P5 level players. Rennie, Saunders, McCoy and Massingil are better suited for lower D1 schools and this is not a criticism just stating what I see!

With due respect, your post is criticism defined. Semantics? Fair enough. But, it’s difficult to see your critique(s) as anything else.
BTW, I’m not publicly contending that you’re wrong, but, put me down as patiently waiting, and especially for the freshmen, to develop.
Cheers.

Reactions: creekdipper
Southie, if you’ve read any of MY posts about Texas, you know that leading up to the game I was very much worried about the Longhorns because I felt like they had the talent to beat us and would be highly motivated. In fact, in the 20-plus years I’ve been posting on message boards I have never had even one unkind word to say about Texas. In fact, I’ve always enjoyed the rivalry because it has always remained healthy.

I take personal offense that you are painting our entire fanbase as “unclassy because we’re no longer winning championships.”

Yeah, I should never expect fans of the losing team to actually compliment the victor even slightly. That doesn't happen anywhere in the world. :rolleyes:

There was a time when Lady Vols fans were classy in victory and defeat. But, that's easy to do when your team was winning championship after championship. Things have changed all the way around.

Dude or dudette, your original complaint was about a "disrespectful" prediction but now you have pivoted to "boohoo, mean ole LV fans did not compliment us!"

You don't seem to understand how fan boards work. [Though after the loss, there were several posts noting that Texas has talent and had under performed in their prior games.]

But for the most part, Volnation was most concerned with what the LVs did not do well and what needs to be change.

So, this fact may be a shocker to you but fans on a Lady Vol fan board are far more interested in the LVs than their opponents, who are mainly viewed as benchmarks of where the team currently stands as a competitive entity.

There are discussion boards that are devoted to women's college basketball in general but this Volnation site is not one of them.

To help you comprehend, if you walk into a McDonald's and complain that they are not serving Whoppers, the problem lies with you and not the management.

Anyway, I am going to matriculate over to the Texas women b-ball fan board where I am sure to find extensive, complimentary discussions and analyses of the LVs, right? I can't imagine any possible way I will be disappointed.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back