QB transfer opportunities

Anyone else see the irony in the following:
3 of 4 playoff teams have qbs that transferred in last year or in LSU’s case two years ago. They did not develop their freshmen qbs into starters.
All 3 teams benefitted from having a “seasoned transfer “ stepping in to the 1 job. I guess you could make a case against fields since he didn’t get a tremendous amount of work last year.
The teams they transferred from in most cases could have benefitted from them being there for sure and might have some serious staff reaccessment since the guy that left looked better better than the guy they kept or in hurts case was at least healthier.
I have been a proponent of the transfer “portal” because it at least puts a little control back in the players hands. I am excited about about bailey next year but I’m wondering if we aren’t seeing a bit of dynamic shift in the way teams approach developing a qb. This year may be an outlier but I really believe we will see more teams taking a chance on developing that 3rd year transfer after seeing him on tape against ncaa competition over trying to develop a freshman wonder like Tua and hoping he’s good enough to beat out his mediocre upperclassman teammates.
We have like 6 QBs come spring....some of these posts are clueless

The impact long term is probably going to be something like this. Let's say a youngster highly skilled, highly sought, attended all kinds of schools and camps while in high school and has talent as a QB. He may get on campus and see just based on practice he's #1 or even #2 but it's due to experience he's behind, nothing else. He's diligent and sits behind the whole first season. He rolls into season #2 spring, he's better than than the previous starter who is now a senior. Staff is starting the starter come hell or high water. He's gone. If he comes into season 2 spring practice, looks around and sees he can start at any number of P5 programs but the guy in front of him is just as good as he is or better, he's gone. I think the second year is where you're going to see a lot of kids enter the portal, fewer will be going in year 3 or 4. There are kids that just love the school and legacies things like that who will stay no matter what but they are few and far between. The big P5 schools are not going to be able to stockpile kids and force them to sit for 2 or 3 years, those days are over across the NCAA IMO.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
We have like 6 QBs come spring....some of these posts are clueless
Ohio State, Oklahoma, AND LSU ALL have 6 QBs on their roster for 2019, including the afore mentioned transfers in. So your point was? Some of these posters are clueless. If you were trying to be smart it was less than successful. If you are trying to say we have too many QBs to worry about recruiting over a transfer well I just don't know what to say... Thanks?

The impact long term is probably going to be something like this. Let's say a youngster highly skilled, highly sought, attended all kinds of schools and camps while in high school and has talent as a QB. He may get on campus and see just based on practice he's #1 or even #2 but it's due to experience he's behind, nothing else. He's diligent and sits behind the whole first season. He rolls into season #2 spring, he's better than than the previous starter who is now a senior. Staff is starting the starter come hell or high water. He's gone. If he comes into season 2 spring practice, looks around and sees he can start at any number of P5 programs but the guy in front of him is just as good as he is or better, he's gone. I think the second year is where you're going to see a lot of kids enter the portal, fewer will be going in year 3 or 4. There are kids that just love the school and legacies things like that who will stay no matter what but they are few and far between. The big P5 schools are not going to be able to stockpile kids and force them to sit for 2 or 3 years, those days are over across the NCAA IMO.
Like I said in a previous post I absolutely agreed but the one X factor is the NCAA has said its gonna tighten up "hardship rules" to make it more difficult. I guess we will see if A) they do it and B) Kids decide they don't want to roll the dice to go not play football for a year while trying to learn a different system/ staff etc and are just willing to stick it out and see if they wait if they can get good enough...

Ohio State, Oklahoma, AND LSU ALL have 6 QBs on their roster for 2019, including the afore mentioned transfers in. So your point was? Some of these posters are clueless. If you were trying to be smart it was less than successful. If you are trying to say we have too many QBs to worry about recruiting over a transfer well I just don't know what to say... Thanks?
They do not have 6 scholarship QBs at these schools. Several are walkons. Tennessee will have a minimum of 5 scholarship QBs next year if no one leaves. Doubtful they spend another scholarship on another QB transfer. We have too many needs.

They do not have 6 scholarship QBs at these schools. Several are walkons. Tennessee will have a minimum of 5 scholarship QBs next year if no one leaves. Doubtful they spend another scholarship on another QB transfer. We have too many needs.
I would say a need is an upgrade in QB for sure... Hopeful that Bailey or Maurer will be that but If no one leaves is pie in sky most likely IMO. Are you saying CJP and Jim Chaney wouldn't be able to find a scholly if Jalen Hurts ( and yes I know he's done this year) said he wanted to come play?

Would Fromm have progressed if he had Chaney there to help him?

It doesn't seem that he has gotten much better during his tenure.

Same thought occurred to me but its kind of like the chicken and egg theory.
Fromm was not any better and might have regressed some imo. Missing his old OC or just peaked?
Same thing with Burrow, new OC and another year of SEC competition.
Lincoln Riley appeared to tailor an offense around the QB skills he had with Mayfield, Murray and Hurts. 3 fairly different approaches to putting up points. No reason Chaney couldn't do the same if we found an elite transfer.

Man I sure hope we get a qb transfer. Imagine if jg would transfer. We’d probably immediately improve 2 games over this last year.

JG appears to have made strides towards his reads and getting the ball out, Still nowhere close to where we need to be to win consistently but better. Maturity or his New OC and QB coaches? I don't think your intent was to slam JG but I just don't get the hate some have here in VN for the kid. Ultimately all he can do is try to get better every day, week, and year and some want to crucify him because the coaches trot him out as the best chance to win we have. NOT his fault IMO.
I strongly suspect one or both of shrout and maurer will be gone after spring practice and truly believe that JG would pull a Hurts and be a great backup if Bailey or a transfer were to win the job.
I was just making the point with this thread that all three teams got markedly better using the transfer portal to their advantage and made their teams a lot better. And all of them did it with a 4-5* QB on the roster coming in to spring practice 2019.

Well sorry about the intro I couldn't really think of a better way to state the question. It just occurred to me that when 75% of the national championship playoff teams are doing it with transfer QBs that 1) It is an amazing coincidence 2) It could be a shift that coaches looking for talent that is older might be easier/ more effective than bringing in a freshman to develop from a yet unproven skillset in DIV1. and 3) I wonder if CJP and staff might have missed the mark.
Before I get roasted for 3, I know we tried the transfer QB route with Chryst that never saw the light of day and that it certainly would have been difficult to convince players the caliber of those three to come here for the obvious reasons. They left for exposure, starting, and championship quality teams but also left similar quality teams.

The elephant in the room for me is was the coaching staff so fixed on keeping JG in the starting role that they missed the boat of making the team better by finding a transfer QB that increased our QB skills. I DO NOT intend that to be JG bashing as the guy is VFL IMO for what he has endured and has given his all for Tennessee but to build a championship caliber team those 3 teams were willing to break a few eggs (existing QBs on their team). @HuntlandVolinColo made an excellent point that may answer the question with regards having to sit if you transfer unless TRUE hardship or Grad Xfer and something I had not considered going forward. I guess as with so many NCAA rules it depends on how/if they actually do what they say.

I haven't looked in detail at the style of offense they left and what they had to learn but all three certainly seemed to have a fairly seamless transition. @Pride85 not sure what you intended by your question. They clearly don't come from thin air but obviously three coaches saw something in a backup QB that could get their team to the top 4 in the country and made their teams better as a result. As I said before I am excited about Bailey coming but wonder if things would be different going forward based on what 3 teams did with transfers this year.
I guess my real intention after thinking about the 75% was to ask my VOLNATION friends if yall see this a trend going forward or a 1 off situation this year.
And then there’s Kelly Bryant. The top schools can attract a top QB. A lot of schools may just be a decent QB away.

Reactions: bag12day
Part of burrows success is joe Brady and the re vamp of the spread at LSU and there were actually quite few that thought they were going to markedly better in 2019 among them me:cool:. I do think they will be the national champs and as a direct result of burrow getting “over recruited” at OSU. Ironic no?
I wouldn’t be so sure they will win it all. If they get matched up with Clemson it will be a dogfight.

Reactions: NCFisher
Holiday or bust? UT will use a scholarship on J.Holiday if he'll sign here. Many are stating that he's a priority. Reasons are blazing speed and possible versatility. Not quite sure about his arm strength. He would put UT at 6 qbs.
Regarding the topic of 3 playoff teams having transfered QBs all but Clemson are in that situation. Overall looking over a few of the better known QBs who transfered, Eason, Bryant, Hornbuckle and others didn't seem to do well. It's simply a roll of the dice,imo. It'll work out for some and others it won't. A lot of factors to consider.

Reactions: bag12day
QB transfer is the last thing we need...that isn't a priority for our Vols...:D

GO BIG ORANGE...BEAT THE HOOSIERS!

UGA knew their weakness coming into the season was at the WR positions and couldn't overcome it. The better defenses shut down their run and UGA isn't built to play catch-up ball via the pass. UT's situation is the opposite....good receivers but not a consistent arm to deliver the ball.

Man I sure hope we get a qb transfer. Imagine if jg would transfer. We’d probably immediately improve 2 games over this last year.

How does JG transferring immediately improve us by two games?

We already have a transfer (Hill), Bailey, Maurer and Shrout even if JG were to transfer that's 4, how many you think we need?

Anyone else see the irony in the following:
3 of 4 playoff teams have qbs that transferred in last year or in LSU’s case two years ago. They did not develop their freshmen qbs into starters.
All 3 teams benefitted from having a “seasoned transfer “ stepping in to the 1 job. I guess you could make a case against fields since he didn’t get a tremendous amount of work last year.
The teams they transferred from in most cases could have benefitted from them being there for sure and might have some serious staff reaccessment since the guy that left looked better better than the guy they kept or in hurts case was at least healthier.
I have been a proponent of the transfer “portal” because it at least puts a little control back in the players hands. I am excited about about bailey next year but I’m wondering if we aren’t seeing a bit of dynamic shift in the way teams approach developing a qb. This year may be an outlier but I really believe we will see more teams taking a chance on developing that 3rd year transfer after seeing him on tape against ncaa competition over trying to develop a freshman wonder like Tua and hoping he’s good enough to beat out his mediocre upperclassman teammates.

I see the pros and cons of the transfer portal. At times, it can be good or bad for both the schools and the players. Whether I like parts of it, or dislike other parts of it is immaterial. It seems it is here to stay for good or ill. The only thing I am sure of is it needs to be managed by people smarter than the twits at the NCAA.

Joe Burrow is the only one nobody expected to boom this year. Fields was a well known stud(UGA should regret choosing Fromm over him) and Hurts is a proven winner. I think most people had OSU and OK in the playoff before the season started. I don’t think anyone had LSU in there before the season.

Burrow has been a fortunate pick up for LSU. But much of his success should be credited to the team he is with. Still dislike Orgeron for his bud affair with Kiffin, but I will give him his due this year.

I see the pros and cons of the transfer portal. At times, it can be good or bad for both the schools and the players. Whether I like parts of it, or dislike other parts of it is immaterial. It seems it is here to stay for good or ill. The only thing I am sure of is it needs to be managed by people smarter than the twits at the NCAA.
I feel the same way and as we have said about the officials make a rule and implement it with CONSISTENCY. If a guy transfers for a reason none of this you can play next year cause you missed your cat at home but you can’t play because you missed your dog.
Overall I think the portal has advantages / disadvantages built in for both the school and player that are equal. I know this is gonna be popular form a fans perspective but I personally would like to see if you stay one full year at a school you can transfer one time and play immediately the next year. After that revert to the hardship, death penalty, probation rule where you have to justify it. It would keep coaches more honest about recruiting imo.

I have a tendency to over think these things but if we (NCAA )don’t limit a kids ability to transfer from western Carolina univ forensics to univ of Tennessee forensics on a 4 year academic scolly why is athletic diff?. It would clearly be a better opportunity career wise or if they transfer from UT to WCU cause they needed more individual attention.

I feel the same way and as we have said about the officials make a rule and implement it with CONSISTENCY. If a guy transfers for a reason none of this you can play next year cause you missed your cat at home but you can’t play because you missed your dog.
Overall I think the portal has advantages / disadvantages built in for both the school and player that are equal. I know this is gonna be popular form a fans perspective but I personally would like to see if you stay one full year at a school you can transfer one time and play immediately the next year. After that revert to the hardship, death penalty, probation rule where you have to justify it. It would keep coaches more honest about recruiting imo.

I have a tendency to over think these things but if we (NCAA )don’t limit a kids ability to transfer from western Carolina univ forensics to univ of Tennessee forensics on a 4 year academic scolly why is athletic diff?. It would clearly be a better opportunity career wise or if they transfer from UT to WCU cause they needed more individual attention.

So, a players can't transfer for his dog, but he can for a cat? You pus**! Dog rights, Dog rights! I got my picket signs ready.

In the end though, I feel the athletes, as student athletes, should be allowed to transfer if it has an academic advantage to their chosen major. Not because they don't like a coach, their girlfriend transferred, or some other strange excuse based on freedom of choice. I am sure there will be plenty of case by case exceptions, but the inconsistency of the process and the timing of some decisions reeks of incompetence and corruption. Not like we haven't become accustomed to enough of that though.

So, a players can't transfer for his dog, but he can for a cat? You pus**! Dog rights, Dog rights! I got my picket signs ready.

In the end though, I feel the athletes, as student athletes, should be allowed to transfer if it has an academic advantage to their chosen major. Not because they don't like a coach, their girlfriend transferred, or some other strange excuse based on freedom of choice. I am sure there will be plenty of case by case exceptions, but the inconsistency of the process and the timing of some decisions reeks of incompetence and corruption. Not like we haven't become accustomed to enough of that though.
I wonder how they [NCAA] will handle the likeness money issue. I can see a player wanting a transfer to another program if he can "earn" $100,000(s) for a few photos or permission to use his likeness in a shoe ad. This legal-outside money is going to change the very fabric of college football-we won't recognize it, once the dollars start to flow (up front, legal, taxes paid money).

'16 Jake Bentley(Utah)
'16 Felipe Franks (Immediate)
'16 AZ State Dillon Sterling-Cole
'16 BC Anthony Brown (Immediate)
'17 ARK Daulton Hyatte
'17 Jack Sears (Immediate)
'17 Jack Allison
'17 Matt McKay (Immediate)
'18 Justin Rogers
'18 Joey Gatewood (Kentucky)

Clearly nothing like Jalen Hurts, Joe Burrow, Justin Fields or even Kelly Bryant though. Utah might have hit payday but I doubt anyone else will see any instant impact play.

'16 Jake Bentley(Utah)
'16 Felipe Franks (Immediate)
'16 AZ State Dillon Sterling-Cole
'16 BC Anthony Brown (Immediate)
'17 ARK Daulton Hyatte
'17 Jack Sears (Immediate)
'17 Jack Allison
'17 Matt McKay (Immediate)
'18 Justin Rogers
'18 Joey Gatewood (Kentucky)

Clearly nothing like Jalen Hurts, Joe Burrow, Justin Fields or even Kelly Bryant though. Utah might have hit payday but I doubt anyone else will see any instant impact play.
Burrow wasn't considered better than any of these guys before the transfer.

He got in the right situation and also developed after the move. He took off the second year after the transfer.

Ok that made me laugh!
I guess that’s where I say you can transfer 1 time after a full year as a fresh and that’s your muligan. After that the stricter documented hardship would apply. You do bring up an interesting point in that I kind of highlighted with forensic degrees at WCU vs UT example earlier. What if I’m a rs soph with undeclared major or a declared major of under saltwater basket weaving and I petition to transfer to ut because they offer an under river water basket weaving major (don’t laugh some of these degrees are that bad) what will the ncaa rule.
@I40flyer As far as name image and likeness I see that as a huge Pandora’s box where it’s not good for the game long term but they had no choice once Cali and other states started passing laws. Adapt or die.

I wonder how they [NCAA] will handle the likeness money issue. I can see a player wanting a transfer to another program if he can "earn" $100,000(s) for a few photos or permission to use his likeness in a shoe ad. This legal-outside money is going to change the very fabric of college football-we won't recognize it, once the dollars start to flow (up front, legal, taxes paid money).

They're going to have to find a way for players to distribute some of that personal money around. Not a lot of opportunities for a left guard on offense to make a lot of money anywhere selling his likeness. However the QB can easily be making six figures. The NCAA is going to have to find a way for kids who make the most money to kick back a certain percent to the team IMO. Lots of rules to come about this IMO.

VN Store

Back