Game Thread: #17/19 LADY VOLS VS. TEXAS

This team isn't significantly improved from last year, and we probably shouldn't expect too much, too soon. l didn't think we were the 17th best team in the nation going in, not just because of this loss, but because of the cupcakes we've played. We'd also lost Zaay. 7-0 against 7 teams with losing records. Remember, this is a team who won by 4 at ETSU, while the Radford Raiders (WHO???) won by 24 at ETSU - (just for comparison). I still believe the team will improve significantly as we move on into the season, if:

Burrell slows down a little and let the game come to her
Someone teaches our posts some moves (LVs have always struggled developing post players)
Post up our 6'+ guards - why aren't Davis, Burrell and Horston posting up sometime, given they're usually guarded by shorter defenders
Somebody set a pick please!

Lastly, in looking at the stats for the last few games, I believe Horston has struggled since the ESPN article about her shoplifting. While it didn't hit this board and I for one am glad it didn't, it stayed on ESPN's front page for several days. I'm sure we all saw it. I can only imagine how such news might affect her; after-all, she's still a teenager. I can only hope she can put it behind her and play her game. Make good on the debt, learn from it, never repeat it, and let's move on.

Jordan your future as a Lady Vol is bright - bring it!!!

Reactions: T.J. and Texas
I made myself watch some of the game again......

When our girls finally battled back, from being down by 10, our girls finally got a 3 points ahead....The Texas coach "immediately called a time out" (basic basketball 101) to interrupt our run.....We never recovered....

Coach Kellie has the unusual habit of watching a team run score on us, and she does not use her time outs in a timely manner, to interrupt the other team's scoring run, and gives our girls a blow, or plan strategy to turn the flow around....

This needs to be corrected.....Soon.

When our girls finally battled back, from being down by 10, our girls finally got a 3 points ahead....The Texas coach "immediately called a time out" (basic basketball 101) to interrupt our run.....We never recovered....

Coach Kellie has the unusual habit of watching a team run score on us, and she does not use her time outs in a timely manner, to interrupt the other team's scoring run, and gives our girls a blow, or plan strategy to turn the flow around....

You are right but hopefully she is using these early games to see which players are able to fight thru adversity and win.

Reactions: stlvolsfan
Do y’all feel like the outcome of this game could've been different if the Lady Vols had played a non cupcake schedule for 6 of the 7 games they’ve already played? I only saw a bit, but it seems to me that they were shell-shocked. It looked like 6th grade travel ball. Texas ran around swarming the ball like gnats slapping at the ball, the bit of the 4th quarter that I got to see, and got all the loose balls. Heck, on 2 occasions Texas got the ball that went out of bounds. Once on Rennia’s break away and again against Key on a defensive rebound AFTER A FREE THROW. those balls should never be going to the opposing team. Seems to me had they been challenged prior they would have been able to swat these annoying gnats.

The most frustrating thing for me is this is the same chaos that I watch in 6th grade travel ball. I tell my kid over and over that if his team gets pensive, then they are going to lose to these little pests. If you have gnats swarming, then attack. Zero aggression on offense. Diana Taurasi may be the best at it combating this crap. If gnats are going to reach or lean in, GET LOW and go into them. Make the ref call a foul. I literally gasped when in the 4th they called a foul on one of their guards and it was their 2nd foul. How did Tennessee not ring up the fouls on these slapping pests? In my opinion, they play street ball and slap the ball like that, then they pay for it.
Yes our OOC is embarrassing! Nothing good came out of playing Pellissippi State

Here is another idea to ponder. Their guards don’t get to score 19 a piece if you didn’t let them absolutely have their way on defense. Screen them off a couple of times and they are going to feel it. Move on offense and make them chase you, then they don’t get in such a groove. Again, missed the game. Did KK use her big beautiful frame to set a hard screen on the gnats?
Texas was 6pts better. Both teams’ stats sucked. Texas just a little less so. I was out and didn’t see the game but losing by 6 when you had such crappy stats is a loss that should not have been

But, the stats were crappy for a reason

Our stats for those who want to see. Low turnovers, good on rebounds, lousy shot percentage. We missed 8 free throws.

UT 08 TEX WBB1208 (PDF) - University of Tennessee Athletics

Kellie:

It's the first time, in my opinion, that we've been challenged, that we had to work for a shot.
We needed to work, and we were really quick to move on to getting that shot up instead of utilizing a little more shot clock. I think that's an area of growth for us that we probably couldn't have predicted prior to this game."

Last edited:

Kellie was outcoached. Period. By another coach whose tenure has been less than impressive...

Do y’all feel like the outcome of this game could've been different if the Lady Vols had played a non cupcake schedule for 6 of the 7 games they’ve already played?

No. Kellie had a week to prepare the team for this game...

As a Lady Vol fan this loss hurt me. If you look at this week. # 2 Louisville. # 9 Maryland. # 25 LSU, # 10 Mississippi St. All lost this week with very good coaches. So this loss was hard to take, but it happens. We had a lot of positives about this loss to Texas. Is there a better turnover ratio to assist then Massengill?

Folks this is a young team, with two seniors, who are, for the first time contributing to the program. Harris, one of those seniors looks a lot better than she looked for the last two years.
In reality, these ladies are playing together for the first time. Yes, we won against teams earlier on, who were no where near the young talent we have. We lost at least 50% of our scoring. If you expected this team to be as good as the top tier teams you were mistaken. It takes time to build a working unit. It took a while before KJR was able to bring Mo. State back to life. Our previous competition was glorified practice at best. The ladies now know what it feels like to get beat by a team that has better talent. Before we castigate the coaching staff lets see more of a sample size. Let’s see what the ladies look like as the season goes on. Let’s give the coaching and our players a chance before we kick them to the curve.

Sorry, but Texas is NO top tier team! Please don't use the "oh this team is so young" excuse every year.

Give the lady some time to UNcoach! It's harder to change bad habits than to instill new ones. No one should pass judgement on her abilites to coach until she has 75% of the team that she recruited. Do you think LVs can beat KJH's old team? They are 8-1 with a win over a number 23 Minnesota team, also Oklahoma and Wichita State, as a mid major. Missouri State is playing KJH basketball and LVs still have a lot of HW in them. When your 4 freshmen are juniors you sill see what kind of coach you have. Until then everyone should be a supporter and not a critic.

Sorry, but I saw how poorly KJH did at NCSU... Perhaps I have seen more than you?

One question I had is why did she stay Ana stay w Horston ? Holy cow poor thing was awful today . A big liability imo . Can’t be on everyday . Wish we would have tried someone else ....

A lot of handwringing over a result that would have been very different had the LVs been able to hit some fairly easy shots and FTs.

Without Zaay, the Lvs are offensively challenged and need Rennia and Jordan to put up fairly big numbers. When they have ordinary to subpar nights, these kind of results will happen.

The LVs defense was better in the 2nd half and they need to make that a whole game effort because they can't rely on out scoring teams that match their size and athleticism.

A lot of handwringing over a result that would have been very different had the LVs been able to hit some fairly easy shots and FTs.

Without Zaay, the Lvs are offensively challenged and need Rennia and Jordan to put up fairly big numbers. When they have ordinary to subpar nights, these kind of results will happen.

The LVs defense was better in the 2nd half and they need to make that a whole game effort because they can't rely on out scoring teams that match their size and athleticism.
Perfectly summed up

What was suspected at the beginning of the season came to light in the game yesterday. This team just doesn't have the shooters and the offense is gonna be challenged to produce enough points to win against the better talented teams. 60 points on 72 shots is a loss 99 percent of the time. You can't have an efficiency of 0.83 and expect to win any game. The defense held Texas to 66 points on 69 shots. That is very good defense but a loss when you can't even muster an offense that goes 1.0. It wasn't Texas defense we missed so many easy shots hard to imagine it really happened. Were gonna have to see how Coach Kellie plays this out you can't have players taking a lot of shots that can't shoot and you also can't tell them not to shoot and ruin their confidence. I think the way to go would be to develop a lot of set plays with Rennia and a couple others being the beneficiary of taking the shot. You must get Rennia more than 12 shots when she is producing 15 points off those 12 attempts and Key 9 points on 6 shots. Everyone else yesterday were terrible or some even worse like horrible. If we plan to have a winning season and no reason we shouldn't considering the state of the SEC then how we figure out a way to get our offensive up to a higher efficiency is gonna be the mountain we have to climb. You out rebound a team by 12 and get 9 more offensive rebounds and still lose means some players are missing shots that any player should be making. A bad shot is the same as a turnover and a missed layup or short jumper the same. We had 13 credited turnovers yesterday but our inept shooting made the real total more like 25 to 30.

As a Lady Vol fan this loss hurt me. If you look at this week. # 2 Louisville. # 9 Maryland. # 25 LSU, # 10 Mississippi St. All lost this week with very good coaches. So this loss was hard to take, but it happens. We had a lot of positives about this loss to Texas. Is there a better turnover ratio to assist then Massengill?
It’s easy to be the starting PG when you are playing terrible teams Massengill will have problems when we play average to above average teams! That position is a major issue again.

Sorry, but I saw how poorly KJH did at NCSU... Perhaps I have seen more than you?
Perhaps you haven't seen enough. You see people who learn from their mistakes do grow and change. Do you know how long ago KJH was at NCSU? Where she was 70-64. She left there in 2013. Over 5 years ago. She took her team last year to the Sweet Sixteen. Like I said in my post, her team this year is 8-1 over tougher opponents than any the LV's have faced. You can live in the past all you want to, but the problem with that is you don't get to enjoy right now and the future.

VN Store

Back