Why Didn't FSU Go To The SEC

I remember CBB being asked by a reporter Way Back about the SEC inviting FSU to join. His response was; nah. No body picks us. We pick our own stiffs. That was late 80s early 90s.

Possibly, but several articles like the one below believed it to be true -
Texas A&M Likely Has Votes To Block Texas From Ever Joining SEC
that was all BS
From 1960-1988 the SEC had looked at, vetted, and considered the following schools if they ever expanded:
Arkansas, Florida St, Miami, Ga Tech, Clemson, South Carolina, Louisville, Southern Miss, UNC, Duke, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Virginia, WVU

When the SEC made the determination to expand in 1990, they chose Florida St and Texas. Texas refused and the next choice A&M could not at the time. Arkansas was chosen. Miami and WVU were dismissed as candidates so South Carolina was chosen

In next expansion A&M was an easy selection. Mizzou was a back up because the rest of Big XII and ACC was too difficult to separate.

If the SEC expands again, Texas, Oklahoma, UNC, Duke or Virginia would be their favorites. But backup candidates that would be looked at include Va Tech, NC State, Kansas

no one else is getting on barring a complete disaster occurring to the ACC

ACC thought they had the big guns with Florida universities Miami and FSU which were annual powerhouses. Neither sustained their success and it is now Clemson and the poor cousins. You just never know how the worm turns. Alabama may be last in the SEC west in a few years with Orgeron and Kiffin battling it out for supremacy.

They're broke. Their facilities suck. They hired a terrible coach. Their athletic dept. is probably as clueless as ours was.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
It seems every other school has an instate SEC rival to compete for recruits....why cant Florida..not fair

Was it because Bobby wanted the easy schedule every year? I saw an interview with him and he said the SEC didn't want them. Comments.

Their AD is actually asking boosters for a one time 20% donation to fund a coaching search?? Whats up with that? Don't have SEC or B1G money?
Bobby wanted a easy schedule, would you go to the SEC or ACC ? Bobby took the easy way out.

Gators said no way, but the real kicker would be they bring ZERO new media markets to present to advertisers and networks for broadcasting deals. UF and FSU are big in the same places. They really offer the SEC nothing financially. Mizzou offered Kansas City and St Louis markets. A&M bring all of East TX tv markets, esp Houston, and USCjr offered the Carolinas tv viewers, and Arkansas has Little Rock.
Arkansas has little rock huh? Arkansas has tried to give that dump to Tennessee but we only wanted to give them Memphis in return. only joking people don't get into a tissy.

It was also (incorrectly) thought to be a mutually beneficial marriage, FSU would raise the level of play in ACC football and that ACC basketball would elevate FSU's bball program

It did elevate their basketball program.

And Grizzly Adams DID have a beard🧔

As I recall FSU said the SEC could kiss their ACC.
Bunch of pussies.

GO VOLS

Gators said no way, but the real kicker would be they bring ZERO new media markets to present to advertisers and networks for broadcasting deals. UF and FSU are big in the same places. They really offer the SEC nothing financially. Mizzou offered Kansas City and St Louis markets. A&M bring all of East TX tv markets, esp Houston, and USCjr offered the Carolinas tv viewers, and Arkansas has Little Rock.
You don’t wanna miss that Little Rock market.
D137EDC6-25D8-40E8-B14B-2676AEFDDA3D.jpeg

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
Regarding the Texas and Texas A&M debate. Texas will always be bigger because they don't have "A&M", "State", "Tech", or any other acronym attached to them. They are the top state school in Texas just like Tennessee is for Tennessee. MTSU, Vandy, Memphis, etc. will always be in UT's shadow even when they are better. Similar to how Texas always casts a shadow over Texas A&M, TCU, Baylor, SMU, etc.

They were offered at least once. Bowden knew the easier track was outside the SEC. He once said “we can compete with any sec school any Saturday but I’m not sure we can compete with 7 or 8 SEC schools over the season”.

It’s over now. Florida, SC, Ga & TAM have joined an alliance to oppose any school from their states to be offered. SEC requires 75% membership approval and those 4 can kill any chance of FSU, Clem, GaTech or any Texas school being invited.

I think conference is irrelevant, the top teams are the good teams. Has being in the Big 10 made Rutgers better? Wasn't utah good before they joined the pac 12? In the SEC in a good year you have to play maybe 3 good teams, plus the SECCG which may or may not have a strong opponent. This year uga only played 2 good teams, auburn and florida and beat them both. Same with most. Clemson got a little lucky this year that the ACC is historically down but Va Tech, Miami, FSU have all played for National Championships this century. Can you definitively say UT has more national titles if they played in the ACC the past 20 years? No.

I agree to a point but if Ga were to beat LSU today they’d be in the CFP but if Clemson had lost last week to the same SC team, they’d be outside needing some upsets.

True - but look who sits at #2 now....
College Finances - USA TODAY

Joining the SEC rocketed A&M to second. I bet the catch Texas eventually.

Will never happen. A&M fanbase is rabid and spends a lot per capita on gear and things of that nature but all things considered is contained mostly within a fairly small area.

Even in Dallas-like 5 hours away from A&M you see more Tennessee gear in stores than you do for the Aggies.

You can always tell if someone is an A&M alumni or fan here because they will tell you in the first ten seconds of knowing them. I used to be ambivalent about the Aggies until they hired ol' Jimbo and were crowing like they just hired Saban. Now I hate them.

Lookinup,Bowden wanted no part of the SEC.He said why should I go to the SEC and be 8-4,7-5,when,I can go to the anemic ACC.and he 10-2,11-1,12-0 every uear.His saying that the Secdidn't want him is a flat out LIE!

Reactions: AM64
that was all BS
From 1960-1988 the SEC had looked at, vetted, and considered the following schools if they ever expanded:
Arkansas, Florida St, Miami, Ga Tech, Clemson, South Carolina, Louisville, Southern Miss, UNC, Duke, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Virginia, WVU

When the SEC made the determination to expand in 1990, they chose Florida St and Texas. Texas refused and the next choice A&M could not at the time. Arkansas was chosen. Miami and WVU were dismissed as candidates so South Carolina was chosen

In next expansion A&M was an easy selection. Mizzou was a back up because the rest of Big XII and ACC was too difficult to separate.

If the SEC expands again, Texas, Oklahoma, UNC, Duke or Virginia would be their favorites. But backup candidates that would be looked at include Va Tech, NC State, Kansas

no one else is getting on barring a complete disaster occurring to the ACC
Texas and A&M were seriously considering jumping from the SWC to the SEC but the Texas legislature threatened to cut their funding because some of their alumni were traditionalists wanting to keep the SWC intact. And alumni from other SWC schools knew the conference was doomed if Texas and A&M left. End result was the pressure kept them.in the SWC.

Previous SEC Expansion: How It Happened In 1990

Reactions: TrueOrange
I think the media market thing is way overblown with college sports. Names (schools) and fan bases equal ratings.

If media market mattered, Duke vs. North Carolina in basketball (two schools 6 feet apart) wouldn't generate the ratings it does. Or Alabama and Auburn in football.

Would anyone watch UCLA vs. Rutgers? You'd have the New York and Los Angeles markets. How about Boston College vs. Illinois? What about SMU vs. Temple?

Again, maybe it's something the leagues use to sell to networks. But, certain schools are brands that go way beyond their media market.

Both FSU and Clemson were contacted before T'am and Missouri. Neither wanted anything to do with the SEC. Neither have the kahuna's to be a BIG FISH in a BIG POND. They are happy being big fish, feasting on minnows.

Could we just kick the Gators out and bring in FSU?

Florida State offers a lot more than either Mississippi school. If it’s mostly to do with ratings, Ole Miss and Miss State was a really dumb decision. Not only does Florida have probably 10x the amount of people, but FSU is one of the best programs in CFB history.
Not even close . For starters UM & Miss. St are charter members of the SEC. When the “decision” was made ratings were not even a thing yet, in 1932 television was in its infancy, not to mention that vast portions of our region did not even have electricity . Historical statistics state that in the mid 1930’s the majority of homes in the rural U.S. lacked electricity . Also I will give you that for at least the last 40 years (give or take ) FSU has won at a high level and is considered to be a modern CFB powerhouse.The only problem is that at the time when the “decision” was made FSU was the type of team that either of the two Mississippi schools would have scheduled for a guaranteed homecoming win.

VN Store

Back