Rumor: Ty Chandler entering transfer portal

Chandler led the team in rushing in 2018 and 2019. He has averaged a full yard more per carry than Jordan. He was averaging a full yard more per carry than Gray until Gray exploded on Vanderbilt. We somehow have fans who think he's the worst of the three. What games are you watching?

This. Past two years it felt like he would get a chunk of our total yardage on one play. He's had his fair share of 100 and 150 yd games, especially with receiving yds included. Would hate to lose his explosiveness if true

Per some chatter on TOS and Twitter... May explain why he didn’t play against Vandy. Must have been hinting at it or telling folks he was gonna transfer last week.
Coach Pruitt already explained why he didn't play against Vandy and I've not seen any chatter on Twitter about it happening, not from any reputable sources anyway.

If he's still trying to enter the portal is this one of those situations where he can press F5 or will that cause him to be double portalled?

The most disappointing part is that after three years we are talking about Chandler as a depth running back. You can find a depth running backing anywhere.. perhaps a nice, smart kid.. just hasn't produced on the football field. Best of luck[/QUOT

Chandler is a quality back. Considering he was hung with a terrible O-line and a QB who had no clue on how to check out of a bad play, he put up good numbers. Hope he stays and takes advantage of an improving o-line.

Reactions: Vol Main
We need as many kids like chandler as possible. You never know when they’ll have a game where the matchups work out well and it’ll all clicks. Chandler has break away speed. I do feel like we could’ve gotten both he and Eric Grey the ball our in space more this past season. I hope if he is unhappy Pruitt can sit down with him and convince ce him to stick it out here as opposed to completely starting over somewhere else

That would require our quarterback to be able to complete a swing pass.

I wouldn't blame him at all for transferring, he's underperformed based on his talent level. I think he could be a very good back if he's able to stay healthy. He needs an offense where the running backs are targeted more. With Trey Smith leaving there should be a job available for a 5 star RB's sister.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Chandler is decent. He really needs a really solid year in the S&C program before he can be a legit SEC back. He especially needs to work on his upper body strength. He gets tackled too easy. All our backs do.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Chandler is decent. He really needs a really solid year in the S&C program before he can be a legit SEC back. He especially needs to work on his upper body strength. He gets tackled too easy. All our backs do.

Yes, all of our backs are too small.

With them being under 6' 0", they need to look more like Travis Henry or Travis Stephens.

Reactions: VOLfrombama
Makes no sense. He split the starting role when healthy. He's been slowed by an injury.

In spite of one good game, EG hasn't demonstrated the physicality to do it against good teams or over the course of a season. Too small.
I heard Pruitt say other day that he was still nursing that ankle sprang and no reason to play much against candybilt!

Reactions: tbones0711
Per some chatter on TOS and Twitter... May explain why he didn’t play against Vandy. Must have been hinting at it or telling folks he was gonna transfer last week.
Giving up trying to win his job?

Makes no sense. He split the starting role when healthy. He's been slowed by an injury.

In spite of one good game, EG hasn't demonstrated the physicality to do it against good teams or over the course of a season. Too small.
Actually according to Pruitt both Gray and Chandler have had injuries that hamper their ability to cut and not be at full speed for most of our games. Pruitt uses practices to determine who'll get the most carries and Gray was performing better prior to Vandy. Ankle-type injuries are bad period.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
Yes, all of our backs are too small.

With them being under 6' 0", they need to look more like Travis Henry or Travis Stephens.

Henry was listed at 5'9 probably closer to 5'8"
Stephens was listed at 5'8" which is pretty close.

Henry was built like a bowling ball, Stephens was similar in build to Ty.

Reactions: 37620VOL
Henry was listed at 5'9 probably closer to 5'8"
Stephens was listed at 5'8" which is pretty close.

Henry was built like a bowling ball, Stephens was similar in build to Ty.

Henry was a block of cheese.

Stephens came out of Clarksville on the lightweight side. But, by Dec 2001, he was strong and hard to tackle.

Last edited:
Chandler has been hampered this year because none of our qbs could throw a screen or anything In the flat to him. I think he’s a great weapon in that space, much like Gray would be too. Would be nice to have them both on the field for that.
That sir is my biggest complaint. We have a QB in his 4th year that can't place the ball in the correct position to a RB less than 10 yds. away. Repeatedly thrown too low, behind the receiver,etc.....Bo Nix couldn't do it either and cost Auburn against UGA. A real dang head-scratcher to me.

Hope this isn’t true. He took a step back production wise this year but the QBs struggled to get him the ball in the flat. So many passes floated to him so slowly that they hit his feet or the defense had all day to get to him. I thought we would use him more in the screen game this year but Chaney leaned on the downfield stuff with Callaway and JJ. He has a chance to be a big part of the offense next year, just needs to get a little stronger and work on his pass catching.

I hope this is not true. I believe TC can be an excellent back for us. He runs hard and catches the bell well too.

1. John Kelly
2. Eric Gray, Tim Jordan
John Kelly averaged 4.1 and 778 yards in one year of production. Chandler has averaged 5.5 last year and 5.0 this year for 620 and 630 yards.
I'm not sure why you think Kelly produced and Chandler has not. And it was one season and he left early.
Eric Gray has not produced. It was one game against a bad defense.
No idea why you would put Jordan on there. 4.0 and 4.2 with 522 and only 424 this year (sports-reference may not be updated for this past week).
I'm not seeing a huge fish coming in that's going to tear it up. To see Chandler as a "depth back" that we really aren't going to miss because he didnt "produce" is ridiculous.

Chandler led the team in rushing in 2018 and 2019. He has averaged a full yard more per carry than Jordan. He was averaging a full yard more per carry than Gray until Gray exploded on Vanderbilt. We somehow have fans who think he's the worst of the three. What games are you watching?
No matter what any one else thinks, Chandler is our best back. Every time he touches the ball, he could hit pay dirt. He is a very good back. He does need to be stronger for sure. We use to have backs run through arm tackles and we need to have them again. To me, that’s all Chandler lack.

VN Store

Back