Gruden says he never considered coaching at Tennessee

But I also don't have a sub-100 IQ and drive around with a "1998 National Champions" license plate on my car in 2019 either, so...

Interestingly, just about every person I know with connections at or near the top of the UT football food chain and an above-average IQ will tell you that there was very serious interest by both parties. There was apparently a sticky issue or two that kept it from happening. The last quote in that article tells you what you need to know: "the timing wasn't right."

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
I wasn’t an acolyte thinking he was coming for sure but at one point in 2012 there seemed to be so much smoke I started to believe there may be a fire. Turned out to be just steam coming off a couple fresh turds.

I never thought he was going to rival Saban though. His name would only carry him through one full recruiting cycle and even then it’s not like he was going to land ten 5*s or something.

I kinda said all along he was crazy to not come to TN. He’s a career .500 guy in the nfl. Never was an amazing success or anything. But he used his personality to become a football celebrity. That doesn’t help him in the nfl. In fact if anything it hurts him. The most successful coaches seems to be the more privates no bs type guys. But his celebrity could’ve really helped him in college. He could’ve used it to absolutely load up on 5 star kids. So if you could choose to go coach in a league with no talent advantage whatsoever or one in which you could enjoy an absolutely massive talent advantage over nearly everyone you play...which would you choose? Crazy. There haven’t been a lot of people in the exact same situation as gruden (a former nfl coach that has become massively famous since leaving the sidelines) but again I just feel he could’ve used that to his advantage. Had he come here and loaded up the team with talent no chance he would’ve had to work hard to screw it up. And these kids would’ve hung on to his every word and played hard for him. He’s have likely been successful at elevating the program back to 10+ wins and year and been hailed as one of the few guys that did it at both levels. Instead, he’s going to fumble through about 5 or 6 seasons as a .500 coach and then end up going back to tv. It takes a really really special guy to make it as an nfl coach as that talent will always be nearly evenly divided. He missed an opportunity of a lifetime imo

guess we're even...I never considered him for the coaching position either...:D

GO BIG ORANGE!

I am kind of shocked that some people thought it was real.... I thought we were playing a game all along about the possibility of him coming as coach. Imagine how shocked I am to find out there was a tad of validity to it. :oops::oops:

It was fun to contemplate and discuss but no way did I every believe it would happen from either side

Lulz, that's not exactly what the article says. Sounds like he "considered" in 2012.

But who cares? The only people still bringing up Jon Gruden are the ones that "Are sick and tired of hearing about Jon Gruden".

Y'all are sick alright.

But I heard that user GrudenIsOurSalvation420 said he was “sick and tired of all this Gruden talk, and just wants to quit talking about Jon Gruden. Are we all grude with that?”

He knew his name was out there and loved the attention. It wouldn’t surprise me if his agent was the one putting it there just simply to give Gruden extra publicity. He trolled UT and was disrespectful by not putting the rumors to bed immediately. I have zero respect for him.
Agreed. And he is proving to be a pretty mediocre football coach this time around.

He knew his name was out there and loved the attention. It wouldn’t surprise me if his agent was the one putting it there just simply to give Gruden extra publicity. He trolled UT and was disrespectful by not putting the rumors to bed immediately. I have zero respect for him.
Ain't karma a bia*ch. Done let KMac, A.Cooper leave and failed to keep A.Brown over a damn helmet issue. Behind all that negative publicity is a team struggling. D.Carr looked lost vs. the Chiefs in their last game. Didn't read the article above but our fans who wanted Gruden ought to be embarrassed. The college game is evolving fast and Pruitt at least knows it. Not sure if Gruden could adapt fast enough to please our impatient fanbase.

VN Store

Back