Pruitts hire compared to other 4 BIG names two years ago............

I know i’m on an island but i don’t think it’s fair to say Mullen has been a good hire. I want to see what happens in a few more years. I have this feeling it’s all smoke and mirrors right now and he was hired with a stable of players that just couldn’t get past GA. I could be wrong but Mullen is also a f’in dork and i didn’t want his gitchy sayings in Knoxville anyways.

Lol. He’s won 10 games in back to back years and doing it with a back up QB.

Wish we had a few years of that kind of smoke and mirrors.

Part of Mullen's success is his AD and their relationship at UF. As a refresher he's supposedly a prickly guy. He was Mullen's AD at MSU. UF canned their AD hired the MSU guy for that job who in turn hired Mullen to coach the gatas.

Mario, Jumbo, and Mullen inhierted well stocked pantry, some others on the list including Pruitt, the cupboard was a little bare.

Reactions: AM64
I know i’m on an island but i don’t think it’s fair to say Mullen has been a good hire. I want to see what happens in a few more years. I have this feeling it’s all smoke and mirrors right now and he was hired with a stable of players that just couldn’t get past GA. I could be wrong but Mullen is also a f’in dork and i didn’t want his gitchy sayings in Knoxville anyways.

As Uncle Lou has said, Mullen has never won a division yet. While there is a chance for that to happen, like you, the jury is still out for me. I might be wrong but I get this feeling that he has a ceiling......like never having won a division title.......good for dropping a game here or there that has him coming up short......UGA style. Recruiting and the next couple of years might tell.

Make the argument that Pruitt is the better hire. I’ll make some popcorn

I don't think you can make that argument but you can probably make a pretty compelling case that 2 years in that the results aren't 100% conclusive either way. There's not exactly a value added metric for coaches we can look at so it's really tough to compare guys that walked into totally different situations. I can say that if their roles were reversed that I doubt Mullen goes much better than .500 at UT and I doubt pruitt averages any less than 8-9 wins at UF the last couple years.

Don't forget Jeff Brohm. His record last season was 6-7 and his record this season was 4-8 making 10-15 overall the last two seasons. Personally, I'm beyond glad we didn't hire him. I still remember Jimmy Hyams stating on television the Brohm hire was a done deal.....thank goodness Hyams was wrong (again).

Mullen 20-5 in two years yet many on here said meh, don’t want him, didn’t do much at Miss St.....etc. Those people should feel really dumb about right now

I'm glad him and his weird ass wife are in Gainesville and not here. I don't feel dumb because hes been a HC for 10 years and is doing better right now than our second year HC that took over arguably a worse program. We'll see in a couple of more years. If youre right? I'll definitely find you and tell you how right you were and how wrong I was since its that important to you.

Scott Frost was first??? Wow.

But seriously. Trying to rank assistants without head coaching experience is near impossible. Out of the coaches on that list, the only one I'd choose now over Pruitt is Mullen. Cristobal is interesting, but I'd still rather have our Southern Fried, bald-headed, cornbread-eatin former Bammer. 🤷‍♂️
I think Mullen’s style will get old at Florida after awhile, he’s shady. I’ll take CJP’s no nonsense approach any day.

Morris got fired after 1.5 yrs. That doesn't seem right. Was their something else going on? I wouldnt fire a guy after a year and a half unless I had a good replacement lined up. Is Arky run by a 7 year old?

Morris got fired after 1.5 yrs. That doesn't seem right. Was their something else going on? I wouldnt fire a guy after a year and a half unless I had a good replacement lined up. Is Arky run by a 7 year old?
Apparently the expectations are extremely high at Arkansas. The fans think they should be returning to the glory of their old Southwest Conference days.

Also, Moorhead is doing a pretty good job at Mississippi State. Mullen even had seasons there where he went 6-6 and 5-7. They are not exactly the upper echelon of the SEC. And wouldn't be in the upper echelon of other Power 5 conferences. Hopefully the fans down in Starkville aren't growing impatient and feeling entitled.

UCLA and Nebraska for one. UCLA was already on a decline. Riley was a terrible hire for Nebraska. Frost is cleaning up his mess.
If so, they also play in much weaker conferences. Tennessee would have won the Big 12 or the PAC 12 this year.

VN Store

Back