Knoxville Restaurants

I've heard much differently about Schulz Brau. They don't offer soft drinks of any kind, and if you want water they basically tell you to get some out of the hose out back. The food is average that is IF they haven't run out of it altogether. I've heard even the service is hit or miss, and even on a hit day it's slow. Other than that, a huge selection of some nice beers.
I've only been once, but went with a large group including my mom (who only drinks moscato) and a couple children. None of them had a problem getting something to drink that wasn't beer.

I've heard much differently about Schulz Brau. They don't offer soft drinks of any kind, and if you want water they basically tell you to get some out of the hose out back. The food is average that is IF they haven't run out of it altogether. I've heard even the service is hit or miss, and even on a hit day it's slow. Other than that, a huge selection of some nice beers.

It's a German Bier Garden. Their mugs are 1 liter. That should last you a good bit. It takes longer to fill, but you're not gonna make several trips to the bar. The food? Again, it's a Bier Garden. It's not a place to have dinner, but the perfect place to chill with a friend or 2 and b.s. & enjoy a great beer.

I don’t go for soft drinks and the water is outside in a tap. The beer and service I’ve had is all outstanding. The food Ian also top notch for local German food and I’ve never had any problems getting what I ordered. I’ve been about 15 times and never had a complaint. If you want soft drinks there is usually a food truck but like I said, I go for beer

Im speaking only atmosphere and beer

Im speaking only atmosphere and beer
They also allow you to bring in your own wine or so I was told by one of the staff. This place is 100% about the beer and German heritage. Very authentic!

The food is a counter service window in the beer garden. Kind of like a fixed food truck. And food trucks often run out of food.

Everyone was super nice and a couple of the management spent time chatting us up.

Reactions: bigdaddy
Freddy's?? Anyone been to this place? Apparently there is one on Chapman hwy and Oak Ridge.

So Ruby Sunshine, yeah I get it, new place to eat and all. 2 hrs wait times??? With empty tables outside? I ate at the bar once solo. It was not worth it. Go to Bistro instead.

Reactions: Roustabout
So Ruby Sunshine, yeah I get it, new place to eat and all. 2 hrs wait times??? With empty tables outside? I ate at the bar once solo. It was not worth it. Go to Bistro instead.
I’ve noticed a few places being severely under staffed.
Again, a New Orleans themed breakfast place without Beignets or cafe ole is doing it wrong.

But here is the biggie. It’s a premium spot on Market Square and it closes at 2p.m.
I can’t wait until it goes out of business. Blue Coast failing had to be the management disaster of the decade.

Reactions: Zues1 and bigdaddy
I’ve noticed a few places being severely under staffed.
Again, a New Orleans themed breakfast place without Beignets or cafe ole is doing it wrong.

But here is the biggie. It’s a premium spot on Market Square and it closes at 2p.m.
I can’t wait until it goes out of business. Blue Coast failing had to be the management disaster of the decade.
Yeah what was up with BC? It was pretty good eats for a while and then crashed and burned.

I've only been once, but went with a large group including my mom (who only drinks moscato) and a couple children. None of them had a problem getting something to drink that wasn't beer.

I'm not sure what you mean by something other than beer unless it's the tap water. Perhaps you bought a non-alcoholic beverage from the food truck a block away? I double checked with my sister she is the one who went, this was maybe a month and a half ago possibly two months but they do not offer soft drinks.

Chad003- I get that it's a German Bier Garden. My thoughts are that if you are going to pretend to be an establishment that serves food then you should pretend to accommodate at the same time as well.

Last edited:
Mrs. Betty's Magic Wok

Apparently this place has been in Oak Ridge for 32 years having taken a hiatus for a few years in between maybe, I don't know the whole story but they say she makes the best egg rolls. She only serves from 10am to 3pm so it's a tight window. It's closer to a food truck than a restaurant, you grab and go.

Anyone tried it?

Reactions: bignewt
I'm not sure what you mean by something other than beer unless it's the tap water. Perhaps you bought a non-alcoholic beverage from the food truck a block away? I double checked with my sister she is the one who went, this was maybe a month and a half ago possibly two months but they do not offer soft drinks.

Chad003- I get that it's a German Bier Garden. My thoughts are that if you are going to pretend to be an establishment that serves food then you should pretend to accommodate at the same time as well.
The kitchen is awesome. The beer is really good. You are the only person I’ve ever heard that has a problem with SB.

Reactions: Roustabout

I want to say they had a bottled Root Beer of some sort. That was about it. And tap water. But I'm not mistakenly thinking that I walked a block away from the building to buy a drink and walk a block back. We got it from the bartender in the garden directly outside

Schulz Brau does have soft drinks. They are bottled and you get them at the bar just like any other drink. The water is outside on tap. It's not from a freaking garden hose behind the building. The food is pretty good but they do run out occasionally. They used to have food trucks before they opened their own small kitchen. I'm not sure if they still have food trucks there in the evenings since I only go on Fridays for a few after work and don't stay out late.

Reactions: bigdaddy
I've gotta give some props to the 17th Street Market and Deli. Total C-Store dive with an independent cash kitchen in the rear. 3 Large grills/smokers out front. Ribs, Wings, Chicken. Ducked in there after the game and got some fantastic wings. Grilled, deep fried, seasoned. Devoured.

I want to say they had a bottled Root Beer of some sort. That was about it. And tap water. But I'm not mistakenly thinking that I walked a block away from the building to buy a drink and walk a block back. We got it from the bartender in the garden directly outside

Perhaps they offered root beer as she wouldn't drink root beer. I love root beer though.

Mrs. Betty's Magic Wok

Apparently this place has been in Oak Ridge for 32 years having taken a hiatus for a few years in between maybe, I don't know the whole story but they say she makes the best egg rolls. She only serves from 10am to 3pm so it's a tight window. It's closer to a food truck than a restaurant, you grab and go.

Anyone tried it?

It's the shiz. Cashew chicken is incredible

Reactions: bignewt
We hit Sweet P's before the parade Friday night. Other than being downtown, pretty good joint

Haha! Seriously, it is so good. Their brisket is awesome, love the sauce, love the greens n' things, and I tried the dry wings for the first time -- very nice.

Reactions: bigdaddy and Zues1

VN Store

Back