Pruitts hire compared to other 4 BIG names two years ago............

Volteacher

Well over 2 years ago or so Jeremy Priutt was hired as Tennessee's HFC. Most people in Tennessee were mostly postiive. The "national" media was on the fence and thought Tennessee had the bottom rung of jobs and Tennessee was left out of some of the big name splash hires. So lets take a look at where Pruitt stands in relation to all the other hires of that season.

*******Order is Athlon Sports before the start of 2018 season*******
Scott Frost..........Nebraska 9-14
Dan Mullen....Florida 20-5
Chip Kelly.........ULCA 7-16
Jimbo Fisher......TAMU 16-8
Willie Tagert......FSU 10-12 (FIRED)
Joe Moorehead....MSU 13-11
Chad Morris........Arkansas 4-18 (FIRED)
Kevin Sumlin........Arizona 9-14
Jeremy Pruitt.......Tennessee 12-12
Mario Cristobal....Oregon 19-7

Thoughts??? Discussion..... Did Tennesssee get a good coach? money's worth. I know they did get better bang for their buck than the TAMU crowd. 70 Million for 10 years and they just went 7-5. I bet if they re-ranked them it would be
Dan Mullen
Mario
Jimbo
Pruitt
Moorehead....maybe?

Last edited by a moderator:
Scott Frost was first??? Wow.

But seriously. Trying to rank assistants without head coaching experience is near impossible. Out of the coaches on that list, the only one I'd choose now over Pruitt is Mullen. Cristobal is interesting, but I'd still rather have our Southern Fried, bald-headed, cornbread-eatin former Bammer. 🤷‍♂️

Based on what the choices ACTUALLY were 2 years ago...DESPITE what MITBeaver promised...while wearing his tuxedo...

Tennessee did pretty good so far. A .500 coach...and climbing.

But CERTAINLY someone who needed (and still needs) to learn how to be a Major College Program Head Coach. Who we HOPE can take Tennessee to good then great status...and even hopefully to ELITE status...someday...at least one or two times...

Well over 2 years ago or so Jeremy Priutt was hired as Tennessee's HFC. Most people in Tennessee were mostly postiive. The "national" media was on the fence and thought Tennessee had the bottom rung of jobs and Tennessee was left out of some of the big name splash hires. So lets take a look at where Pruitt stands in relation to all the other hires of that season.

Nebraka..........Nebraska 9-14

Thoughts??? Discussion..... Did Tennesssee get a good coach? money's worth. I know they did get better bang for their buck than the TAMU crowd. 70 Million for 10 years and they just went 7-5. I bet if they re-ranked them it would be
Dan Mullen
Mario
Jimbo
Pruitt
Moorehead....maybe?
Moorehead? If the Ole Miss player doesn't simulate a piss in the endzone, he wouldn't have a job right now.

Thanks for the post. It is interesting to take a look back. Hiring an assistant coach, you just don't know what you're going to get. Some indications we may have a good one on our hands. At this point, I'd certainly say we're getting our money's worth. As the previous poster, I did want Mullen. But in the end, Pruitt may work out even better. Now, what in the world is going on with Frost and Kelly?

Reactions: vettefool
14-10 would have looked much better. I like Pruitt. I think he's the best coach of the game UT has had in a long time. I am still not sure about his ability to be a winning HC. I think he is doing some things really well. He and his staff seem to be a lot more honest with the players even at the risk of losing them. Ultimately being the HC is about finding the right talent, creating the right culture, and making good decisions. I like the culture changes so far. I have a good feeling about his recruiting but it has to be proven with play. I think his decision making has been a bit of a mixed bag- mostly good but some question marks too.

That said, I wouldn't have minded Frost. He has a long hill to climb at Nebraska but he seems like a quality coach.

I am glad UT did not pursue Chip Kelly... though I am not writing him off at UCLA yet.

Mullen inherited a good situation and hasn't blown it. I'm curious to see if he sustains once he runs out of someone else's players. I personally think he would have struggled at UT. He isn't a very energetic recruiter.

I never thought that much of Jimbo Fisher either. Again, he may succeed once he gets players more to his liking but he had a lot of advantages at FSU and led the program downhill. Glad he's not at UT.

Taggart inherited Fisher's mess. Probably a better coach than he showed.... but he didn't fix it. I don't think his style would have meshed well at UT.

Joe Moorhead... is not going to win. MSU went bargain shopping. Wouldn't have wanted him as a coordinator at UT much less HC.

I like Sumlin. I think he might have had some success at UT if the lessons from TAM carried over.

No opinion on Cristobal.

Jimbo and Mullen were known commodities. We would’ve (and should’ve) taken either before CJP. But that didn’t happened so Pruitt appears to be top of the list after them.

I think we have to be humble and acknowledge that we didn't have a chance to get either of those guys. Not everyone wants to go to Rocky Top, particularly given the turmoil our athletic dept was in after the Schiano fiasco.

Given all that, I think we did great to land Pruitt. He fits our program in many ways. I just hope Alabama doesn't want him back after Saban leaves

I think Cristobal, Mullen, and Pruitt have proved the most so far. I understand what Ga. State and BYU were , but as horrible as that was, to me it has been more impressive to keep the season on track and not lose the team. Pruitt and the coaching staffs ability to circle the wagons and salvage the season to potentially 8 wins is a big deal.

I think we have to be humble and acknowledge that we didn't have a chance to get either of those guys. Not everyone wants to go to Rocky Top, particularly given the turmoil our athletic dept was in after the Schiano fiasco.

Given all that, I think we did great to land Pruitt. He fits our program in many ways. I just hope Alabama doesn't want him back after Saban leaves

Mullen went to Florida on Nov 25th before the Schiano fiasco. 13 days after Butch was fired. And 1 day after he agreed to meet with Currie. Move more quickly, and Mullen may have been on The Hill Nov 25th. We at least had a chance at that guy.

Dan Mullen
Mario
Jimbo
Pruitt
Moorehead....maybe?
If you look at each of the schools and where the talent level was AND IS, CJP is number 1!
Mullen signed on to a talented and deep team as did Mario (comparative to the PAC12). Jimbo should have a better record, based on his credentials and the talent level of the team. I dont know how anyone can overlook the fact that CJP came in with the least talent and has done the most with it!. If it wasn't for the GAst and BYU games, this wouldn't be close.

Mullen went to Florida on Nov 25th before the Schiano fiasco. 13 days after Butch was fired. And 1 day after he agreed to meet with Currie. Move more quickly, and Mullen may have been on The Hill Nov 25th. We at least had a chance at that guy.

My guess is he preferred Florida and if I didn't have orange blood I might agree with him

Frost didn’t have any grey hair last season....

take that into consideration.

We’ll never know because bald. Lol

Dan Mullen
Mario
Jimbo
Pruitt
Moorehead....maybe?
There is a big difference there. You have to look at what the pervious coach left. Pruitt took over a mess. Mullen, Jimbo, and Cristobal took over pretty good programs. Alot of you guys wanted Chip Kelly here. We got the right coach for the job. I rather have a coach that knows what the SEC is than some outsider. Pruitt knows what it takes to win in the SEC.

Mullen was interesting and always my first pick. I would have loved to see what he does if we just go overboard and offer him a mega deal that forces him to say no and doesn’t allow him to wait out Florida.

I know i’m on an island but i don’t think it’s fair to say Mullen has been a good hire. I want to see what happens in a few more years. I have this feeling it’s all smoke and mirrors right now and he was hired with a stable of players that just couldn’t get past GA. I could be wrong but Mullen is also a f’in dork and i didn’t want his gitchy sayings in Knoxville anyways.

VN Store

Back