How Quinten Dormady's 'rocky road' helped resurrect Central Michigan football

kamoshika

Dormady has always seemed like a good guy, glad to see him finally enjoying some success on the football field...

Quinten Dormady jogged to east side of the field at Kelly/Shorts Stadium with a smile on his face. Joining his Central Michigan teammates and the marching band in singing the university’s fight song, Dormady’s emotions encapsulated a journey that has spanned five years, three schools, 22 games and an improbable resurrection of a middling program. And it’s not over yet.

...Dormady transferred to CMU on Dec. 11, just weeks after the Chippewas finished 1-11 and replaced coach John Bonamego with Jim McElwain. With McElwain shifting the culture, offensive coordinator Charlie Frye calling plays and Dormady executing on the plan each week, CMU put together an 8-4 record this season with a 6-2 mark in the MAC. “I’m really glad he chose to come here,” McElwain said. “He’s one of the reasons that we’re playing this weekend.” But Dormady’s success in 2019 didn’t come without hardship.

How Quinten Dormady's 'rocky road' helped resurrect Central Michigan football

1575656429469.png1575656281108.png1575656493529.png

Good for him. Playing at the correct level for him to be successful.
There have been many very successful NFL quarterbacks and all position players that have come out of lesser known, small schools. I'm not saying that he will be or not, but if you are good, the NFL will find you.

Just stating facts. I'm glad he recognized what he needed to do to be successful and took the right steps.

Has to be encouraging for you know that if you stick it like he did you can crawl out of the level of fandom that you have dug yourself into. Many on here will follow along to see if you can pull it off... Just stating facts too. I see how it works now...

Very happy for him. I was hoping he had a good year. Checked first of the year he had not done anything

Happy he finally found some success. Would have been interesting had he stayed to compete with JG under Pruitt.

well, don't they all turn in to stars when they leave UT...strange, but true...:D

PS. happy for him...also, McElwain's name has been tossed around with the firing of coaches...Arky and Ole Miss was mentioned...funny...

GO BIG ORANGE!

Looks like Quinton Dormady is having a stellar year, leading Central Michigan to the conference championship! Another player we let pass through our program and turn into a star elsewhere!

Reactions: Moped
well, don't they all turn in to stars when they leave UT...strange, but true...:D
I wouldn't exactly call being a partial season starter for CMU... being a star.

PS. happy for him...also, McElwain's name has been tossed around with the firing of coaches...Arky and Ole Miss was mentioned...funny...

GO BIG ORANGE!
McElwain isn't a terrible coach. UF isn't an easy place to satisfy the fans. Ole Miss maybe... I'm not sure why anyone would go to Arkansas. Impatient fanbase plus just about every disadvantage you can name.

Mizzou would be an ideal place for McElwain.

Good for him. Playing at the correct level for him to be successful.
LOL@U. You mean the guy who beat JG out before getting injured mid-season? Jones wanted to give JG the job... Dormady just outplayed JG so badly in camp that he couldn't.

I don't know what Dormady would or wouldn't have done if he'd stayed. There's a much better than even bet that he would have done no worse than JG.

Dormady is going to the Hall of Fame baby! I have always liked Dormady, and he could have had success at any level he just picked the wrong school to transfer to the first time and at Tennessee they were playing football with out coaches just a bunch of guys running an after school program.

I do think Dormady will get a shot in the NFL....If he has a good game tomorrow and has a good bowl game performance, someone will definitely give him a shot.

I remember how the fans screamed for JG that season.
Not as many as you think...His crybaby attitude had a lot of people turned off about him..Dormady was playing fair, not great but fair before he got hurt...He made mistakes but that's normal with a new starting qb....I think we probably would have a better record with him at QB than JG over time...kid beat GT when we all thought the game was over and almost beat UF at the swamp the day Franks had his miracle.

Have any of you folks watched a CMU game? My high school had more fans. It's a far cry from Neyland, so much so the two experiences really can't be compared. It almost looked like a club sport to me.

I'm happy for him but I don't think he was ever athletic enough to succeed in the SEC. CMU football is another world from UT

Good for Dormady. I'm glad he was able to go somewhere else and shine.

I also haven't heard the name Charlie Frye in years. Always wondered what happened to him.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan

VN Store

Back