What did the AF coach say to KJH after the game?

plumbervol

The camera caught a conversation between the two and Harper seemed a bit upset with her. Harper mentioned the clock had 30 seconds and she seemed irritated. The camera left the two talking postgame and I had no idea what the discussion was all about.

On another board someone said that the AF coach apparently thought Tennessee should have dribbled out to a shot-clock violation instead of taking the last shot.

If, after her team had fought soooo valiantly that whole game, she actually DID spend her post-game handshake moment griping that Tennessee hadn’t pitied them at the end, then she might as well have said to Kellie, “Screw you, and I hope we NEVER get invited back to play in this dump of an arena again!”— because Kellie doesn’t do drama.

I did appreciate AF coach’s honest assessment of Tennessee after the game, though. She was spot on in her critique.

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
On another board someone said that the AF coach apparently thought Tennessee should have dribbled out to a shot-clock violation instead of taking the last shot.

If, after her team had fought soooo valiantly that whole game, she actually DID spend her post-game handshake moment griping that Tennessee hadn’t pitied them at the end, then she might as well have said to Kellie, “Screw you, and I hope we NEVER get invited back to play in this dump of an arena again!”— because Kellie doesn’t do drama.

I did appreciate AF coach’s honest assessment of Tennessee after the game, though. She was spot on in her critique.
What did she say in her assessment.

Reactions: NoBackBoard
Dribbling to a shot clock violation would seem to be a bigger slap in the face to me.

What did she say in her assessment.

On who stands out besides Rennia Davis when she is scouting Tennessee:
"To tell you the truth, they all get my attention. But as I watched film, it was hard to keep track of one more big body after another going into the game. Obviously, they are very dependent on Jordan Horston. They have her out there as their lead defender, and I think she probably has the most versatile game. That size is just… we have played against Oregon, we have played against Arizona State, we have played against really good teams, but we have never seen that much size. It is just one big kid after another coming into the game. I finally told them, you get the big kid on the left and you get the big kid on the right. You get 21, you get 11, or whatever. They could be an exceptionally good defensive team, and I really think that is what they need to hang their hat on. I think they've got some challenges in terms of a lot of their offensive skills, but they can be so good with that kind of size to protect the rim and that kind of length and athleticism on the perimeter. They can just really be good. I really hope they can buy in to that. I think they have enough offensive fire power, but I don't think it is exceptional, and I think that is what they have to hang their hat on."

The game is 40 minutes long....

No where does it say, if one team is beat before the 40 minutes are up, the winning team has to back off...Defend your house, or take the other team's house, but don't cry either way about it.

Enough already....

Exactly, if they don't want Rennia hitting that shot, then defend better.

I listened, really loadly, and I think you all are making more out of it, Kellie was thanking her, and telling her how hard her team played while she was basically speaking about all our size and talent being overwhelming. Shot at end if mentioned was not a significant part of conversation. A coach for the armed forces knows you give 100% until it is over. I can't imagine anyone but Geno, telling a coach of a victorious team, they were poor sports, as is being suggested. I played it 3 times

Exactly, if they don't want Rennia hitting that shot, then defend better.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. If not, this would be one of the first of several reads of your many outstanding posts in which I disagree ...as the matter of the principle of sportsmanship. But, first, I think Chitownvol1129 is probably closer to the actual truth than what many of this forum think they saw or heard; so, lacking any comment from Coach Kellie, I'd likely be better advised to stand mute.
Admittedly, I've been on the losing end of some pretty awful beat-downs in sports, as player and coach. Most all of those beatings were administered on the gridiron, so perhaps, apples-to-oranges, by comparison ...so, another basket should hardly leave such a bad taste.
At any rate, every game reaches a point, where a point, or two is of little consequence. But, you, or I, or anyone would be hard-pressed to find a for-instance wherein the beaten team will "defend better." It's almost always the case (in lop-sided scores) where the winner chooses how "good" or "bad" a beating the opponent deserves. And, since you are doubtless a very smart man, I think you know this.
**To be clear: I do not think Coach Kellie ran up the score. I don't think she's programmed that way."**

noun: sportsmanship: fair and generous behavior or treatment of others, especially in a sports contest.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. If not, this would be one of the first of several reads of your many outstanding posts in which I disagree ...as the matter of the principle of sportsmanship. But, first, I think Chitownvol1129 is probably closer to the actual truth than what many of this forum think they saw or heard; so, lacking any comment from Coach Kellie, I'd likely be better advised to stand mute.
Admittedly, I've been on the losing end of some pretty awful beat-downs in sports, as player and coach. Most all of those beatings were administered on the gridiron, so perhaps, apples-to-oranges, by comparison ...so, another basket should hardly leave such a bad taste.
At any rate, every game reaches a point, where a point, or two is of little consequence. But, you, or I, or anyone would be hard-pressed to find a for-instance wherein the beaten team will "defend better." It's almost always the case (in lop-sided scores) where the winner chooses how "good" or "bad" a beating the opponent deserves. And, since you are doubtless a very smart man, I think you know this.
**To be clear: I do not think Coach Kellie ran up the score. I don't think she's programmed that way."**

noun: sportsmanship: fair and generous behavior or treatment of others, especially in a sports contest.

Hi Krichunaka,

I am of the school that "it ain't over till its over" and that you don't want the team to fall into bad habits by slacking off. For example, again a bit of apples and oranges comparison, in youth soccer, once one team gains a substantial goal advantage, it is common for the coach of the the dominant team to place touch restrictions on players-- something like you must complete 7 consecutive passes before shooting for goal, or all passes have to be one touch etc. etc.

It turns out that coaches at higher levels- colleges, national teams etc. implore youth coaches not to do this because such restrictions take away from players' capacity to make the right decision. The idea is that lopsided games happen but both sides should still try to play the game the right way because the end goal is long term improvement. Better to not count goals than to stop playing soccer because the scoring is lopsided.

I thought the LVs may have intentionally lowered their effort level again UAPB owing to the circumstances (which would have been understandable) but Kellie made it clear that she was not pleased that the team lost focus; so she seems to be a 40 minute effort coach as well.

Given that the mandate is for the LVs to execute well until the final buzzer, you can't say but well, don't take a good shot under these conditions (leading by 15, etc.).

Per "defend better," I was responding to reports (or assumptions) that the A.F coach was complaining about the LVs running up the score. While it may prove out that she was not making such complaints, my assumption had been that she did. Given that, I felt like the better response would have been to say, "we as a team have to defend better," rather than complaining about the LVs scoring too much.

Last edited:
Reactions: krichunaka
On who stands out besides Rennia Davis when she is scouting Tennessee:
"To tell you the truth, they all get my attention. But as I watched film, it was hard to keep track of one more big body after another going into the game. Obviously, they are very dependent on Jordan Horston. They have her out there as their lead defender, and I think she probably has the most versatile game. That size is just… we have played against Oregon, we have played against Arizona State, we have played against really good teams, but we have never seen that much size. It is just one big kid after another coming into the game. I finally told them, you get the big kid on the left and you get the big kid on the right. You get 21, you get 11, or whatever. They could be an exceptionally good defensive team, and I really think that is what they need to hang their hat on. I think they've got some challenges in terms of a lot of their offensive skills, but they can be so good with that kind of size to protect the rim and that kind of length and athleticism on the perimeter. They can just really be good. I really hope they can buy in to that. I think they have enough offensive fire power, but I don't think it is exceptional, and I think that is what they have to hang their hat on."
Thanks Ivocd.

Hi Krichunaka,

I am of the school that it" ain't over till its over" and that you don't want the team to fall into bad habits by slacking off. For example, again a bit of apples and oranges comparison, in youth soccer, once a one team gains a substantial goal advantage, t is common for the coach of the the dominant team to put in place touch restrictions -- something like complete 7 consecutive passes before shooting for goal, or all passes have to be one touch etc. etc.

It turns out that coaches at higher levels- colleges, national teams etc. implore youth coaches not to do this because such restrictions take away from players capacity to make the right decision. The idea is that lopsided games happen but both sides should try to play the game the right way because the end goal is long term improvement. Better to not count goals than to stop playing soccer because the scoring is lopsided.

I thought the LVs may have intentionally lowered their effort level again UAPB owing to the circumstances (which would have been understandable) but Kellie made it clear that she was not pleased that the team lost focus; so she seems to be a 40 minute effort coach as well.

Given that the mandate is for the LVs to execute well until the final buzzer, you can't say but well, if we have a big then don't take a good shot under these conditions....

Per "defend better," I was responding to reports (or assumptions) that the A.F coach was complaining about the LVs running up the score. While it may prove out that she was not making such complaints, my assumption had been that she had. Given that, I felt like the better response was to say, we as a team have to defend better, rather than complaining about the LVs scoring too much.

Well put.

I once was up by about 40 in an exposure event and had my post bring the ball down and had my PG as the 1 in a 2-1-2 defense.
I also made them play no-hands defense...only move the feet and if the hands extended I subbed them, which, by proxy teaches them footwork instead of reaching on defense.

Reactions: krichunaka
Well put.

I once was up by about 40 in an exposure event and had my post bring the ball down and had my PG as the 1 in a 2-1-2 defense.
I also made them play no-hands defense...only move the feet and if the hands extended I subbed them, which, by proxy teaches them footwork instead of reaching on defense.

I like this approach: you’re still teaching, they’re still learning (or sitting, which is quite often the best teacher), and without what they used to call “rubbing their noses in it.”
Which I think satisfies madtownvol’s, “it ain’t over” principle. There are ways of exercising the spirit of good sport, while (appearing to be) going “all out.”

Last edited:

VN Store

Back