Ty Chandler

He's regressed. No other way to put it. Last year, you could argue he was our best offensive weapon. This year? Not even top 5. He looks slower and looks like he's lost vision. Yes, run blocking hasn't been great this year...but it's better than the last couple years. Plus, Chandler was huge in the passing game last year....this year he can't even catch the ball.

I'm not ready to give up on him though. We Saw his talent his first two years, maybe it's just been a rough year. I hope he works hard and has a break out senior year. Have high hopes for him.

Reactions: Remy and feathersax
Ty has been banged up much of this season.

As with many of the starters, he plays special teams. I think he twisted a knee or some such.

Obviously, he isn't really 100% which has reduced his quickness, speed, and reduced his carries.

Ty will be back in the running back mix next year.

Reactions: Remy and feathersax
No chance Gray runs a legit 4.39. No chance. People also said Hurd ran a laser-times 4.37 in highschool....he then ran a 4.68 at his Baylor pro day.
Possibly but that is what Gray claimed Saturday night. I would not doubt 4.39 watching him on the two runs Saturday.

The Volunteer post radio show Saturday evening when they were interviewing some of the players.

I'm only wondering as that's considerably faster than reported anywhere else I've seen. Just one example.

"Gray has a combine-verified time of 4.57 seconds, which gets zero FAKEs out of five. That's in line with the reports that his speed is good but short of elite."

Hello: Eric Gray | mgoblog

Reactions: BJSforVols
I'm only wondering as that's considerably faster than reported anywhere else I've seen. Just one example.

"Gray has a combine-verified time of 4.57 seconds, which gets zero FAKEs out of five. That's in line with the reports that his speed is good but short of elite."

Hello: Eric Gray | mgoblog
IDK . I know there is incentive for a player to state they are faster than they really are. I’m sure many of the high school 40 times are exaggerated, especially the Hurd time as we know now. Maybe you can answer this question, who on the current UT roster has the best verified 40 time?

IDK . I know there is incentive for a player to state they are faster than they really are. I’m sure many of the high school 40 times are exaggerated, especially the Hurd time as we know now. Maybe you can answer this question, who on the current UT roster has the best verified 40 time?

It's an interesting question but damn hard to nail down, particularly the "verified" part. By whom was a time recorded? What were the conditions? (one surface vs another can make a difference) To be perfectly honest 40 times outside the NFL Combine, which are as uniform as they can make it, get pretty dubious in a hurry.

Ty has been banged up much of this season.

As with many of the starters, he plays special teams. I think he twisted a knee or some such.

Obviously, he isn't really 100% which has reduced his quickness, speed, and reduced his carries.

Ty will be back in the running back mix next year.
Figured as much he's NOT had the breakaway speed this season. TC is a quality back.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
The difference in 4.39 and 4.47 isn't but an eyeblink
Its also worth noting theres a technique to running the 40. Any misstep or false movement in any way will make your time a fraction slower. Gray may not have elite speed, but hes not far from it, in my opinion. He turned on the jets when he broke free on his 2 TD runs Saturday. Granted, one of them, the safety had either terrible effort or seriously misjudged Grays speed as Gray ran by him untouched.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
The difference in 4.39 and 4.47 isn't but an eyeblink

FWIW the times cited are 4.39 vs 4.57, not 4.47. A .18 is actually a pretty big swing over a distance that short.

Oh, and just to put up a couple data points that are much more rigorously kept the fastest 100m time I've found cited for Gray is 11.25. The fastest for Chandler is a 10.83, which is pretty good.

Last edited:
Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Thought Pruitt or someone in the media said Chandler was injured? Hyams maybe?

VN Store

Back