Pruitt might not win COY

You can choose to moan and groan about those games, or you can ride the momentum that we ended the season with. Not excusing those losses, because they are inexcusable. but Pruitt has never been head coach before and he’s learning on the job.
We are not the first team to lose against opponents we had no business losing too. They are plenty of examples of this. The key is we didn't fold when most would have. Harping on them losses now does nobody any good. It's a good thing our players bought into the coaching, and the coaching learned from the early mistakes. That's what I like about Pruitt he is learning how to become a quality head coach and learns from his own mistakes instead of repeating them. GBO!

Okay, now we are dealing in hypotheticals and things that did not actually happen. If we pulled within 8 well within the 4th quarter that would be competing. What actually happened was our quarterback had a brain fart, fumbled into the end zone and Alabama ran the fumble back for a touchdown. Game over all on just one play and the final margin of three touchdowns. Don't stop pumping that sunshine if it gets you through the off-season and makes you feel warm and fuzzy.

Pumping sunshine has got me thru 70 years of life and situations I doubt you can even imagine.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
"Some coaches pray for wisdom. I pray for 260 lb. tackles. They'll give me plenty of wisdom"-Chuck Noll

Chuck Noll was a pro coach from a different and far lighter weight time, but the point is the same. You need the "Jimmies and the Joes" to compete.
Recruiting is maybe 50%. Coaching is about the same.

I disagree. While I’ve been very happy with the defense and the intensity this team played with down the stretch...Pruitts unwillingness to have a legit qb competition and have anyone ready to play except Jg cost us significantly this year. And there are more questionable personnel decisions other than just at qb. Grey looked to be explosive from his first carry of the season yet we rarely saw him until tonight. And we were way too conservative at times. Watching bama/ua and LSU (amongst other today in the conference) should let us know just how far we still have to go. We should’ve absolutely boat raced vandy today. But we settled for a time of possession/mange the game style today. Good teams don’t do that. Especially when playing a terrible team. We have a long ways to go. But a good start would be to have a legit qb competition this offseason. Also, get some damn recruits in the door
The thing that really kept Grey off the field early on was his poor blitz pick ups, something he has greatly improved on. And ”good teams” play call according to situation and conditions. If you were paying attention, the weather was more of a factor than anything else. Dry and no wind, we hang 50 on Candy.

I know there was no legit competition because Jg won. I think jg would’ve lost “a legit competition” at a bunch of high schools. And also because Pruitt said right after the season ended last year that every position with the exception of quarterback was up for grabs. Pruitt unquestionably was influenced by the fact that Jg was a former top 25 overall recruit and a 4th year player. And while that would certainly make anyone think he’s the guy...his play in the field last year wasn’t very good. Any team that goes 5-7 should have a qb competition. Maurer is a better qb. Plain and simple. We don’t have to be there in practice because we’ve seen they way they look in games. Maurer looks to be the far better qb imo
From an objective coach’s point of view, Maurer has been the least effective of all the qb’s. If you think Chaney is putting JG out there because he was ranked highly or he’s older, you must also think he’s passing up the extra helping of fried chicken for a side salad.

I’d argue that we can consistently win 9 games with more depth. If we don’t blow the first two games we are sitting at 9 wins this morning.
We win the first two and most likely we have fewer wins at this point. Those losses bonded and galvanized this team and in hindsight will be the true turning point.

Sorry, I hate to sound like a killjoy but I'm not proud of anything. Those first two games were unforgivable and anything short of an SEC championship wasn't going to make up for that. We salvaged the season as best we could and for that I'm glad. But the word "proud" will never be uttered from my lips when describing this season.
Sorry you feel that way, but you do have that right...

I am proud of this team...this season could have really gone down the tubes and continued on that route. However, with all the discord and "fighting" in the locker room, this staff and these players became one. Overcame the start, put in the work, and turned this season around. Got back on the right end of the scoreboard vs. SC, Mizzou and Vandy. Didn't quit, grew as individuals and as a team.

IMHO, we will remember this team as the team that bought all in on Pruitt and staff. The team that changed our trajectory and started believing they could win. The team that closed out November undefeated and, against all odds, got us one more game. We are not satisfied, they are not satisfied, but this is the first team in a long, long time that I saw who believed in themselves, believed they could win vs. anyone out there, appeared to enjoy the game once again....and remind us all that Tennessee is a physical team. We are not 15-0, but I believe the beginning of a nice long future of double digit wins began with this team who underachived, but then overachieved in the rest of the season.

I appreciate the Srs and Jrs for buying in. I appreciate the Frs and Sos who stayed committed to the cause. I appreciate the staff for keeping the guys engaged, developing them, and believing in them.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
Sorry, I hate to sound like a killjoy but I'm not proud of anything. Those first two games were unforgivable and anything short of an SEC championship wasn't going to make up for that. We salvaged the season as best we could and for that I'm glad. But the word "proud" will never be uttered from my lips when describing this season.
The greatest coach in the world had 12 men on the field to give Auburn a first down and allow the game clock to run out. LOL!!!
Couldnt have happens to a better guy!!!

Reactions: TnVol! and jsc1973
Anytime you lose the way we did at the first of the season, it's a team loss , including the coaches ...however ; let's not make this what it isn't . Coaching doesn't lose to Ga State . The group of players we put on the field should have been able to drag them into the parking lot by the middle of the 2nd qtr , rusty or not. Those losses were squarely on the players. Maybe Pruitt should have made some quick personnel changes when it was clear things weren't going well, but good players run through teams like that on instinct. Ga State was a total lack of anything resembling competitive spirit and that's on the players. Not coaching. The team finally decided it was tired of being embarrassed and it responded with 7-5 . You don't win Daytona on 5 cylinders and 3 warped wheels.
Agree 100%. Read an article they interviewed Calloway on the way this team started. Calloway said the players had not bought in to what Pruitt was selling. In other words they were doing it their way. There was definitely problems in the locker room early in the season. After the first two losses they started trying to do it Pruitts way.

I like Pruitt to be COY but though it makes my Vol blood boil, I think Stoops probably should win it. He has no QB, took a WR and mostly won despite that. Saw part of their Louisville game yesterday and impressed. Pruitt putting out the dumpster fire and getting us to a bowl despite a horror beginning is impressive. Plus dealing with QB that has talent but didn't know how to use it and an OL that made it worse. A defense that was cat poop. Turning all this around is amazing. But Stoops just might have more than his toes in the door.
Don’t say Stoops man lol my brother is a UK fan. I Can’t stand UK. But you make a decent point give him and his WR/QB some credit. It was pretty impressive

And last year’s team quit on Pruitt. This one did not. I agree that is an improvement. But as I believe you wrote in another thread, there’s a long way left to go. A bowl win would be a nice next step.
Yep and a lot of those mice bailed off when the titanic was sinking!

From an objective coach’s point of view, Maurer has been the least effective of all the qb’s. If you think Chaney is putting JG out there because he was ranked highly or he’s older, you must also think he’s passing up the extra helping of fried chicken for a side salad.

I disagree. I feel just just based off the “eye test” he’s been the best. I don’t know what his stats are and don’t really care. Jg was able to play the majority of the snaps against some of the worst competition we’ve played this year. And more importantly anyway...it’s not so much stats that hold jg back is understanding situations. He doesn’t understand game situations. He slides short of the sticks. Or throws the ball away too quickly on 3rd down just outside of fg range. Or doesn’t feel pressure that everyone in the stadium can see coming. Stats will never tell the story on Jg. Just watch them both play.

The thing that really kept Grey off the field early on was his poor blitz pick ups, something he has greatly improved on. And ”good teams” play call according to situation and conditions. If you were paying attention, the weather was more of a factor than anything else. Dry and no wind, we hang 50 on Candy.

I agree on the blitz pickups. But look at him. He’s a small guy and obviously isn’t built for that. But if he’s a super explosive player maker (which he obviously is) get him out on the field on downs that aren’t obviously passing situations. You can always rotate him out when you need extra protection. But I’d have like to see him used a lot more. He should be a guy that you keep out on the field occasionally and have him split out wide when you bring Jordan in.

I disagree. I feel just just based off the “eye test” he’s been the best. I don’t know what his stats are and don’t really care. Jg was able to play the majority of the snaps against some of the worst competition we’ve played this year. And more importantly anyway...it’s not so much stats that hold jg back is understanding situations. He doesn’t understand game situations. He slides short of the sticks. Or throws the ball away too quickly on 3rd down just outside of fg range. Or doesn’t feel pressure that everyone in the stadium can see coming. Stats will never tell the story on Jg. Just watch them both play.
This makes no sense to me. The eye test is lingo for people who don’t understand football. Stats lie, results don’t. I’m sorry but JG has won games, the freshman have not.

I agree on the blitz pickups. But look at him. He’s a small guy and obviously isn’t built for that. But if he’s a super explosive player maker (which he obviously is) get him out on the field on downs that aren’t obviously passing situations. You can always rotate him out when you need extra protection. But I’d have like to see him used a lot more. He should be a guy that you keep out on the field occasionally and have him split out wide when you bring Jordan in.
If a rb can’t pass block and you only play him on down you’re going to run then you tip you hand. An rb has to pass protect.

VN Store

Back