Game Thread: #20/25 LADY VOLS VS. AIR FORCE

I don't believe I've ever looked at a score and was more impressed with 81 than 79, especially in a 25+ point win. It has nothing to do with being competitive.
Only when there is a free chicken sandwich involved. That used to be the case when a Vol or Lady Vol team scored 80 free chicken sandwich don't know if that is still going on.

I am glad we have a coach who can speak to actually what happened in the game ! Instead of “I don’t know “. Zay as a injury will impact us as we get into SEC play and our young team meets better competition! Everyone can see the team is headed out of the middle average SEC teams !
On a special note ..... I have noticed comments from old , old , forum members that I have never heard from ! As some on here would say .... the blue hairs have come alive ! 😁. I don’t know what a blue hair is but I am glad to see more interest in the team !

Well I'm one to play to the buzzer and certainly gonna take a shot with 29 seconds left. I wouldn't be upset if the other team did it with 29 seconds left just to close to the shot clock time allowed. It was certainly in between whether you shoot or not no one takes a shot clock violation and it was very close to the time when the rebound was made and the team attacked. She actually took the shot with something like 12 seconds left. They had time to go down and try to get up a shot which was blocked.

I felt like she only took the shot because they were still closely defending her and swiping at the ball. If you want a team to dribble it out, call them off.

Am surprised that the Air Force even has a ladies basketball program as bad as they are! Not even won 9 games in any of the last 5 seasons. Would a university/college ever drop a program?
Like the rest of the military academies, athletics are secondary to education and entrance requirements are tougher than most public universities.

Like the rest of the military academies, athletics are secondary to education and entrance requirements are tougher than most public universities.

And up until this season you weren’t allowed to defer your service obligation to play professional sports. The change will have more implications on the men’s side, but it has always hurt recruiting for military academies as the top level recruits had no interest because they wouldn’t even have the option to play professionally unless it was 4-5 years after college once they had met their service obligation.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Losers are losers because they worry more about such trifles than about getting better --- just my opinion

Hoosier - Don't call them losers. They are fine young women serving their country.

You should be more concerned about how UT could get out rebounded by a team that didn't have a single player over 6' tall. Or maybe about why a UT player felt the need to score against a beaten opponent (UT up 25) with 16 seconds left in the game. Poor sportsmanship, stat packing or both?

Hoosier - Don't call them losers. They are fine young women serving their country.

You should be more concerned about how UT could get out rebounded by a team that didn't have a single player over 6' tall. Or maybe about why a UT player felt the need to score against a beaten opponent (UT up 25) with 16 seconds left in the game. Poor sportsmanship, stat packing or both?
Because with 30.4 seconds on the clock your gonna take a shot clock violation. That the way UConn plays the game.

rewatch the game...they shot everything outside "long"
Long rebounds favor the offense because on shot the defense is programmed to pack-in

Or maybe about why a UT player felt the need to score against a beaten opponent (UT up 25) with 16 seconds left in the game. Poor sportsmanship, stat packing or both?
It was neither. We would have dribbled it out but the defensive player was pressing the ball and trying to steal it so evidently she still wanted to play. If you still want to play to the buzzer, you best be ready to suffer the consequences. If their coach didn't like it, she needs to tell her players to back off. I have no problem with what Davis did. It was just as bad a display of poor sportsmanship to press the ball with no hope whatsoever. What if a player was injured because of it. I like giving it your all but when it's done and over, just let the clock run out.

View attachment 241785

After Game notes:

Well, they could have scored 100+, but Coach K had a better plan,,,they worked on things late in the game: the 2-3 zone,, extended time for Saunders,, working the ball a little deeper in the shot-clock,,.. also in this game and several more combinations were working well together: Jazmine and Rae,//,Key and Horston,, were especially in sync today.

The good:
  • Jazmine's passing into the post,,better decisions made in transition (7:02 Q1),,
  • KK is starting to exert herself on the court now. She had a very strong game
  • Burrell played much more under control after her initial burst, she settled into a nice rhythm
  • Saunders contributed to more plays
  • Once Snider began to score on us, she was shut down instead of given freedom,,like in the past when a scoring run was made at us,,,this time we responded with the shut-down.
  • The 2-3 or 2-1-1-1 trap was solid tonight
  • Davis played a good game, but really fully showed up at 1:02 of Q3
  • There was a Jesse sighting
  • 19 assists 19 turnovers...I can live with a one to one, want two to one, but as long as it is even or better. I'll take it
The bad:
  • Started the game 1 for 9...This should have been a teaching moment...timeout!
  • We are way too long on shot/drive reaction. We don't cut with the cutter, nor box-out the others on action-initiation to cut or shoot...this has to be a focus
  • Our bigs are giving low targets and our guards are trying to hit the low targets...Post players need to give high targets (hands) especially when we have such a height advantage.
  • KK quit pulling the ball down...If you give a higher target, you will stay high. Right now they are looking for you and your hands are constantly down, so they are passing low to you
  • Teaching moment in Q3 at 4:30...Call a timeout and don't let them play like that
  • UT can learn from this game tonight. AF played cutter basketball and it worked...When a player on their team spotted-up or drove, there was always 1 or 2 cutting behind the action...this is why they were out-hustling us early..they were playing AAU cutter basketball
This team looked like a real Lady Vol team to me tonight. Not because we destroyed someone, but because we didn't look bad on any facet of the game today,,,1-9 shooting start, notwithstanding.

Coach J

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- The Lady Vols (6-0), who are ranked 20th in this week's AP Poll and debuted on Nov. 26 at No. 25 in the USA Today Coaches Poll, welcome Air Force (1-6) to Thompson-Boling Arena for a 2:02 p.m. ET contest on Sunday. This marks Tennessee's first matinee of the season after opening with seven straight 7:02 p.m. tips, including the exhibition. The Lady Vols are playing their fourth of six straight games on Rocky after opening with two of the season's first three contests on the road. After facing Air Force (Dec. 1), UT welcomes Texas (Dec. 8) and Colorado State (Dec. 11) to The Summitt. The Air Force game is part of UT's Salute to Service Week, while the Texas match-up is part of the Big 12/SEC Challenge. The meeting with the Falcons is the first-ever between the programs in women's hoops. Tennessee stayed perfect on the season on Tuesday night, bolting to a 48-11 halftime lead and coasting to a 92-51 victory over Arkansas-Pine Bluff. Air Force, meanwhile, began a two-game eastern U.S. swing in Annapolis, Md., dropping a 67-59 decision against Navy on Wednesday evening.

GAMEDAY TIMES & BROADCAST INFO
PROMOS
  • It's Salute to Service Week, when we honor all who have served and say thank you for their service and sacrifice. Current military members and veterans may present their Military ID or DD 214 at Gate C, Gate E or the ticket tent located on Phillip Fulmer Way prior to entering Thompson-Boling Arena for complimentary admission for themselves and their immediate family

• RECAPPING OUR LAST GAME
  • No. 20/25 Tennessee moved to 6-0 on the season, defeating the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff, 92-51, on Tuesday night at Thompson-Boling Arena.
  • The Lady Vols were led by junior forward Rennia Davis, who recorded her fourth double-double of the season with 17 points and 11 rebounds. Sophomore Rae Burrell added a career-high 17 points, while junior Kasiyahna Kushkituah chipped in 15.
  • The Golden Lions (0-4) were paced by junior Trasity Totten, who finished the night with 19 points and four rebounds. Jayla Atmore and Tyler Pyburn contributed 12 and 11, respectively.
  • Tennessee finished the game with 54 points off the bench and 62 in the paint, both season bests. The Lady Vols also out-rebounded the Lady Lions 53-32, continuing their streak of out-performing their opponents on the boards for the sixth-straight game.
NOTES FROM THE LAST GAME

• Big First Quarter: The Lady Vols poured in 26 points during the first quarter against UAPB, their highest point total in any quarter this season. Meanwhile, they held the Golden Lions to just seven points, the fewest scored by any UT opponent in a first quarter this season.
  • Balanced Attack: Tennessee's first four baskets came from four different players, and by halftime 10 of the 11 active roster members had scored at least two points. By the end of the game, Tennessee had seven players with five or more points and three in double figures.
  • Lockdown Defense: The Lady Vols held Arkansas-Pine Bluff scoreless for nearly nine minutes in the second quarter, allowing just four points to tie for the third-fewest allowed in a quarter all-time. The 11 points allowed in the first half tied for the fifth-fewest scored by a UT opponent in any game.
  • Hot Hands: The 92 points against the Golden Lions was the highest point total managed by a Lady Vol team since they scored 98 against Murray State on Dec. 28, 2018. With a field goal percentage of 54.5 percent against UAPB, the Lady Vols posted their highest shooting percentage of the season and best since clicking at a 61.7 rate vs. Liberty in the NCAA First Round on March 16, 2018.
  • Bench Points: Tennessee's bench produced a season-high 54 points, outscoring the Golden Lions' bench by 28 points. UT had 15 in the first quarter.
  • Double-Double Davis: Junior Rennia Davis logged her fourth double-double of the season with 17 points and 11 rebounds. The effort moved her career total to 22, tying her with Shekinna Stricklen, Karla Horton and Shyra Ely for the 11th-most career double-doubles by a Lady Vol.
HARPER HISTORY IN THE MAKING

• Kellie Harper will attempt to open a season 7-0 for the first time in her head coaching career. She twice opened 4-0 at NC State in 2011-12 and 2012-13 before topping that with a 6-0 start at UT this season.
  • On Nov. 18, 2019, Kellie Harper became the 40th person to play for and coach an AP-ranked women's basketball team when UT debuted at No. 23.
  • She became the 13th person to accomplish that feat at the school where she also played.
  • According to Hoops Guru Mel Greenberg, UT and USC are the only schools with two alums to accomplish that feat. Harper and Holly Warlick did so at Tennessee, while Cheryl Miller and Cynthia Cooper-Dyke did so at Southern Cal.
  • Harper is one of only 11 coaches to lead three different women's programs to NCAA Tournament appearances (Western Carolina, NC State, Missouri State).
  • She will attempt to join Jim Foster (St. Joseph's, Vanderbilt, Ohio State, Chattanooga) in becoming the only coaches to take four different women's teams to the NCAA tourney.
TENNESSEE TOPICS
  • Tennessee has opened a season 6-0 for the third year in a row and will attempt to make it 7-0 for the third time in as many seasons and for only the fifth time in the past 10 years.
  • Junior guard/forward Rennia Davis has posted double-doubles in three of her past four games. She ranks No. 8 nationally with four double-doubles.
  • Junior forward Jaiden McCoy (injured left hand/missed three of last four games) returned to action vs. UAPB, tallying a season-best six points and five rebounds.
  • The Lady Vols have won the rebounding battle in all six games and have an +18.3 margin vs. opponents.
  • Eight players currently are averaging at least 4.5 rebounds per game, led by Rennia Davis at 8.5 and Kasiyahna Kushkituah at 6.2. Seven different players have led the squad in rebounds during the first six games.
  • Tennessee is allowing only 51.2 points per game and has given up more than 51 points in only two of its six contests.
  • At home, the Lady Vols are allowing only 44.0 ppg.
  • The highest field goal percentage UT has allowed in a game this season was .348 to ETSU in the opener.
  • Rae Burrell leads Tennessee in scoring average in home games at 12.3 ppg.
  • Jazmine Massengill has recorded 15 assists vs. only three turnovers in four home games this season.
  • Kasiyahna Kushkituah is shooting 63 percent from the field and averaging 10.3 ppg. in home contests.
  • Tennessee has had 16 or more assists in each game this season and a season-best 25 vs. UAPB.
  • The Big Orange have been big on swatting shots, averaging 7.5 blocks per contest. Tamari Key averages 2.8 per game.
  • Jordan Horston (10-24, .417) and Rennia Davis (6-19, .316) have accounted for 16 of UT's 28 three-pointers this season. Lou Brown has four.
  • The Lady Vols rank No. 2 nationally in rebounds per game (53.0) and No. 2 in reb. margin (+18.3). Eight players are averaging at least 4.5 rpg.
  • Jordan Horston is averaging 4.8 assists per game. She is dishing dimes at a rate that would rank her No. 2 all-time among freshmen at UT.
  • Freshman Tamari Key has recorded 17 blocked shots, more than any Lady Vol had all last season and ranking 10th nationally in 2019-20.

Coach Jumper's Prediction:
A little more "dessert" on the table....Lady Vols 101 AF 45
Coach Jumper, After reading and agreeing with your informed analysis of the Lady Vols, I have two or three questions. Where do you see this team in two or three years? Do you feel Coach Harper and staff can coach and recruit on a NC level?. Who brought in the current players? I really don't know. I really am feeling encouraged and after watching the Notre Dame game, I felt like I was watching the Lady Vols again. I am seeing a huge difference in the team already but don't have your expertise . I feel like Kellie is the one. Thanks in advance for any input you can share.

Coach Jumper, After reading and agreeing with your informed analysis of the Lady Vols, I have two or three questions. Where do you see this team in two or three years? Do you feel Coach Harper and staff can coach and recruit on a NC level?. Who brought in the current players? I really don't know. I really am feeling encouraged and after watching the Notre Dame game, I felt like I was watching the Lady Vols again. I am seeing a huge difference in the team already but don't have your expertise . I feel like Kellie is the one. Thanks in advance for any input you can share.

This is the UT lady Vols.
The standard is what it is.
Top 4 is the standard.
I see UT top 4 every year.
But at this point for this year, anything beyond the E8(best case) /S16 (worst case) will be better than I would have expected for this year.

I am less worried about future recruits right now as I am with the progression of the MDAA's we already have.
CHW failed to advance skillset and both, her and their, gamesmanship as the season progressed,,in fact they got worse moving forward...
The first thing I want out of Coach K and her staff is continual forward progression of Off & Def skills and and flow in offense.
Other things I watch for right now is
  • No stagnation in offense in ball and personnel movement
  • Better coaching gamesmanship from the bench during games.
  • Better use of timeouts,,,correcting players who do dumb things and walk to the bench with no fear of repercussions,,Using timeouts to stop runs of 6 before the become runs of 12,,or worse, multiple runs..., Using timeouts to "teach" during moments of "team aloofness"
Things like these are what I will be watching for.
Let the fans of the recruiting process be gate-keepers regarding recruiting,,,I'll stick to what I know...Skills and games

I consider that CHW's staff brought in everyone but this year's recruits.
To me, this year's newbies are Coach K's first crop.

Reactions: feathersax

There was a shot clock still in effect. What you wast her to do? Shot clock violation?

Reactions: Smallvol#1
And yes, at this point I feel Kellie was a perfect choice.
I am 100% for her and with her
Thanks so much. Very good points. These last few years, the team without the fundamentally sound basics of the game, has been hard to watch. Player development and "gamesmanship" was nonexistent. When they do reach that "final four" high ground you suggested, the recruits should come and Lady Vol fans can breath a sigh of relief. I believe Coach Kellie is the one and I am for her 100%, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: lvocd
I felt like she only took the shot because they were still closely defending her and swiping at the ball. If you want a team to dribble it out, call them off.

Exactly. If the other team doesn't sag off, then by all means play until the buzzer. It's annoying watching a player dribbling out the clock and then the team losing by 50 goes for the steal and score. That's 100x less classy than a team winning by 50 taking the final shot.

Reactions: PointGuard
Exactly. If the other team doesn't sag off, then by all means play until the buzzer. It's annoying watching a player dribbling out the clock and then the team losing by 50 goes for the steal and score. That's 100x less classy than a team winning by 50 taking the final shot.

Yep, and I guarantee you they're running for every single turnover they have in games right now. Not a chance they were going to take the TO on a shot clock violation or a steal. Thats just one more set of stadiums lol

This is the UT lady Vols.
The standard is what it is.
Top 4 is the standard.
I see UT top 4 every year.
But at this point for this year, anything beyond the E8(best case) /S16 (worst case) will be better than I would have expected for this year.

I am less worried about future recruits right now as I am with the progression of the MDAA's we already have.
CHW failed to advance skillset and both, her and their, gamesmanship as the season progressed,,in fact they got worse moving forward...
The first thing I want out of Coach K and her staff is continual forward progression of Off & Def skills and and flow in offense.
Other things I watch for right now is
  • No stagnation in offense in ball and personnel movement
  • Better coaching gamesmanship from the bench during games.
  • Better use of timeouts,,,correcting players who do dumb things and walk to the bench with no fear of repercussions,,Using timeouts to stop runs of 6 before the become runs of 12,,or worse, multiple runs..., Using timeouts to "teach" during moments of "team aloofness"
Things like these are what I will be watching for.
Let the fans of the recruiting process be gate-keepers regarding recruiting,,,I'll stick to what I know...Skills and games

I consider that CHW's staff brought in everyone but this year's recruits.
To me, this year's newbies are Coach K's first crop.
You used "gamesmanship" twice in your post. Is that the word you were really looking for ?

I was watching a game where the outcome was inevitable! The team that was ahead had the ball like Tennessee and AF. As the clock was winding down , there point guard was being guarded very aggressively! As the last few seconds on the clock were approaching ..... the guard with the ball and an a big lead in points .... just handed the ball to the defender and walked off the court !!! 😁.
I thought that was much more poor sportsmanship but the defense got what they wanted ??? The ball 🏀 GAME OVER

There was a shot clock still in effect. What you wast her to do? Shot clock violation?
I've seen that done before when it's under a second difference and the winning team has a really big lead. There certainly was no need to shoot. She easily could have passed the ball around the perimeter before driving to the basket.

VN Store

Back